Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A bit of help on Les Arc please.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I and 4 others are taking a trip to Les Arc from the 4th to the 8th of April. 3 of us have been before and 2 are complete beginners who have never skied before. We are all pretty novices though. I have a few questions which I would be very grateful if people could answer for me.

1. The last time we took a trip to Les Arc was also in April and the snow was pretty good, it was a bit patchy at 1600 but above that was great. I was just wondering peoples opinions on the state of snow for this year for the 4-8 of April?

2. We have chosen that week as it is after the Easter weekend and hope it to be quieter. When are the French holidays over there and will it be busy when we go?

3. We hired equipment at 1600 last time and it was pretty good. Not sure exactly the shop. Is there a particularly good hire shop in any of the resorts which is reasonably cheap and speaks English?
3.1 Also, 4 of them will be using the smaller skis, not the mini ones but ones for beginners. What are the sizes of these skis? I will have the next size up as I am more confident now, what are sizes of these?
3.2 On average around how much will the Ski's, poles and boots be per person for the 4 days?

4. We are also still looking for accommodation. Last time we stayed at the Hotel La Cachette on 1600 which was very nice and we could fit 3 in the room. With 5 this time however 2 rooms will work out quite expensive so what would be the best option in terms of a chalet, apartment to comfortably fit 5 people. There are 2 couples and one single, so at least 2 double beds and one single or 3 singles, one double ECT.

5 We are open to which resort to stay at and to this point are open to suggestions. We do like 1600 but if snow conditions are poor we are willing to move higher up. 1950 is looking nice, what sort of prices and accommodation are we looking at up at 1950? Does anyone have any preferences suggestions?

6. As there are 2 beginners we will need lessons for them. Last time we had a 2 hour lesson at 1600 and they took us pretty much straight onto the green slope. This was good and the 2 hour lesson was all we needed to get going and then learn for ourselves. We are looking for something similar again, what sort of prices and where are best places to have say a 2 hour private lesson for 5. Does the amount of people affect price as I could go without or do we pay for Tutors time?

7. Last time after using the free lifts on the beginner runs for the first day we got some passes and used the lifts. They were manned before, are they all computerised now, how does this work. Also can you buy a 2 days ski pass as I have only seen 1 day and 6 day passes? How much would a 2 days pass be?

That is all I can think of at the moment. Thanks in advance for any help people give me. I really will appreciate it if you could share your experiences and suggestions with me.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome to snowheads Criddy, thats a fairly comprehensive list of questions for your first post!!

I also off to la Plagne around those dates so im hoping for good snow like you....afraid i cannot predict whats its going to be like tho, maybe some of the more oraclious people here might be able to fill us in Very Happy

Whatever happens, i hope you have a great time snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Criddy, have you looked at the Les Arcs website, I'm sure a trawl through it would answer most of your questions. At the moment snow conditions in the Haute Tarentaise are pretty good, temperatures are low and local opinion is that there's more than enough to last through to April but you never know, if the temperature levels go up it could melt fairly quickly. In previous years we've still been able to ski the Aguille Rouge well into April.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Criddy, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead !

French hols start late this year, wxith the first academic zone breaking up the weekend after you leave, so you've timed it well.

Condions are good at the moment, so barring an extraordinary change towards the end of the month, you should be ok.

I recommend Christina Sports (Monsieur Roques) in Arc 1600.

The ESF in 1600 has some great instructors. Not much choice anyway - they're the only school there! Otherwise Arc Aventures in 1800 is good too. Yes you can get 2 day passes - photos not required. The free lifts are still there, at least they were in Feb. Don't worry about ski sizes - Christina (or whoever) will advise.

The daily cost of a 'pack' (skis/shoes/poles) ranges from approx 18 to 25 euros, depending on the standard skis you rent. You can see an example of charges in Bourg (down at the bottom funicular station) here:

http://bsm.alpesprovence.net/polaire.htm
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Criddy,

Welcome

PG is British and our residential snowhead living in Boug St. Maurice (Arc 0000!). You can get any iformation out of this guy.

He set up a web cam in the Internet showing everybody the "daily" condition of Arc 1600.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee, except that I've been unable to get out to take photos since the accident, so no updates at the moment! Hopefully in the next couple of days......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Criddy, for a complete contrast to Arc 1600 why not stay up in Arc 2000? I think there are some reasonably-priced hotels up there. Beware the mainstream apartments - unless they've been upgraded since I used them they are nasty little hovels.

The main benefit of being up there is the condition of the snow, and the quick access to the best skiing in the domain.

The huge views of the Aiguille Rouge from Arc 2000 really get the juices flowing in the morning!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Criddy
Was in Les Arcs middle week of April last year and the resort was open.
Snow conditions were excellent - even had a powder day one day.
However lower down conditions would deteriorate quickly in the afternoons into slush as the sunshine did its work
Best snow was up high - over at 2000, and also the high sections above Peisy were quiet and had excellent groomed slopes.
To avoid horrible runs home in the slush would recommend staying in 2000 or 1950 - although these places are fairly quiet in the evenings.
2000 is old and quite ugly, but we stayed in a comforable complex called Chalet des Neiges with a nice pool.
1950 is new and upmarket - might be a bit more pricey and also still building some parts of it...

p.s. fantastic resort - lots of area to cover (even without La Plagne link) and suits all levels...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Criddy,
Had you thought about staying near to the Paradiski link so you can get up to the La Plagne glacier? This link has some suggestions.
Its close to the tree skiing which is always quieter, yet has easy access to the Transarc and Arc 2000 and the Aguille Rouge (30 mins to the cable if you pin your ears back) We're going over Easter, but so far I have only been in January. It will be nice to see the sun whilst skiing for a change!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As 2 of them are first timers I would have thought staying in Arc 1600, 1800 or 2000 would be a better bet. One have to start with green runs first surly.

As far as the snow condition is concerned one of the biggest snowheads gethering will take place in Les Arcs and it will be in the last week of April!

Apparently words go round of having a last bash at PG or something to that effect, as though the poor soul having been hospitalised wasn't enough for them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys for all your replies. One more thing, do you rekon it will be a problem in terms of availability of accomodation if we book just a week before we go?

Thanks again for all your help, excited about trip now and its still ages away! Crying or Very sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Criddy,

Good to have you on Snowheads.

1. I'm in Les Arcs 1800 right now. Last day Sad Snow cover all over is good, but the runs to all stations are worn and icy. High up it's still fine. Aiguille Rouge snow is great. It's still relatively cold but unless there's new snow, I suspect all the runs will become scrapey. Of course if it gets warmer, if you time it right, you get easy spring snow to ski on Very Happy . Other than that, crystal ball is in for a service so can't say more wink

2. See LesArcs website

3. Sorry, haven't found a partic good hire shop in 1800 (didn't hire)
3.1 LesArcs are keen on the ski evolutif (parallel from start, graduated increase in ski length with progress) method of ski teaching, though I understand you can opt for the conventional system and I don't recall seeing many big people on small skis (as opposed to ski boards/blades). I believe they start at 100cm but I'm sure someone here will correct me.
3.2 See Interski or SkiSet websites

4. Hotels're always expensive but if you only want 4 days, you might not have a lot of choice. I'm not sure if you'll get a chalet for 4 days. Or an apartment but you could try the Maeva website for the latter.

5. Always best to go high, late in the season. There's a very recent thread on 1950 on this forum. http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=6078 Looks expensive. Shocked Try 2000. Very Happy

6. See LesArcs website

7. There is a sensor/pass card system at all non-free lifts which you could potentially ski to from accommodation, ie resort lifts and all lifts you can ski down to from a higher station or nest of accommodation. It's very convenient. Very Happy No rummaging for your pass or having it precariously flapping about so as to be accessible. Just wear it somewhere to left of your person and apply that part of your person to the sensor (choose a socially acceptable part of your anatomy) wink

8. Have a good time. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy