Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring on B2's

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm in the process of putting together my first touring setup. I've recently acquired some Dynafit bindings and I'm wondering (in the interest of saving a few quid) if mounting them on my old (circa 2003) B2s would be a good idea. Has anyone skied such a setup? Also, should I be concerned at mounting Dynafits on a ski that has already been drilled for alpine bindings?

All pointers would be gratefully received!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
B2's aren't the widest of skis for off piste. They are ok but there are so many more skis our there that will be far better. Guess everything has a price though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Morrissey wrote:
B2's aren't the widest of skis for off piste. They are ok but there are so many more skis our there that will be far better. Guess everything has a price though.

Do you need wide skis for touring? I would have thought weight is more important than width?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Re: ski width, I guess it depends where you are skiing. In Europe I had touring skis with 108mm waist and 86mm, in Canada my touring skis have 113mm waist.

Re: ski weight, see above. My gf has just put Dynafits on a pair of S7s which are very heavy skis but the Dynafits have canceled out some of the weight difference and she loves the set up for 2-3 hour skins... if we were skinning longer I'm sure she would get a lighter ski though...

snow_gibbon, you should have no trouble with the screw pattern of the Dynafits, they're quite different to alpine bindings so there should be plenty of room. The rule of thumb is 10mm between existing holes, but sometimes you can get away with less. Most skis would take three binding mounts without causing too much of an issue.

There were plenty of people on B2s as touring skis back in the day, there's no reason why you shouldn't use them. Again it would really depend on the type of tours you plan to do.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
Morrissey wrote:

Do you need wide skis for touring? I would have thought weight is more important than width?

true, but I'm assuming that the whole point of touring is to get away from teh masses and ski off piste - either that or you are not paying for your lift pass. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snow_gibbon,

They will work but they will be heavier than other dedicated touring skis. The width will depend on the type of tours you do and your own weight as heavy people require more width to get the same float. (e.g. Parlour is heavier than I and his skis are wider). From memory the B2 has a ca 78mm waist which will be OK as an allround touring ski for someone around 70 kg. If you are significantly heavier and plan to do mainly Powder tours then a wider and perhaps lighter ski would be more suitable.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you've gone through the big expense of going dynafit saving weight why not buy some matching skis too?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you for all your feedback. It was very helpful.

narc, the bindings were a nice birthday present from my girlfriend. It does also come with the added benefit of having to buy new boots, so I'm obviously to keep the cost down where I can. Maybe next year I'll splash out on some new skis!

Re-width, the B2's are 76mm underfoot, but in my opinion they've got enough float for most deep snow situations. I'm not planning on touring in Utah so I don't think I'll be needing my snorkel!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snow_gibbon,

At 160cm the B2's weigh around 3000 g a pair whereas the Volkl MAUJA is a similar width touring ski and comes in at 2640g a pair (163cm) = you won't save a massive amount in weight. I think the B2s have a foam core so if they have many days on them already then they might of lost their pop.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, cheeky git, says it like 74kgs is heavy... PAH!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor wrote:
DB, cheeky git, says it like 74kgs is heavy... PAH!

Opps thought you were heavier, maybe I got you mixed up with Arno. But aren't you mainly a powder day tourer (living in a resort you can better pick your days, work permitting of course). For someone around our weight 78 mm is OK for an allrounder.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, are you calling me fat??? Confused
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh come on stop being touchy about your weights you bunch of women. Next we will be having a thread entitled "does my bum look big on these touring skis". Wink
Thought blokes could talk about weights without getting uptight.

If you two are slim I must be thinking of someone else ....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
actually calling myself slim might be pushing it a bit wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maybe I was thinking of this chap

Axsman wrote:
latest report
DB, haha, I'm just a very athletic skier so I enjoy long, fat skis. Wink

Your thoughts are right though, it all depends on WHERE you are skiing to which ski SUITS you. (Or, as I like to advocate, take what you think is OK skis stats for you and then add 10-20mm underfoot and 10cm to the length and you'll get a real ski).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy