Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tragedy in Kaprun

Poster: A snowHead
queen bodecia,

Love your picture. Cracking helmet, was the picture taken in winter as it looks cold?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, agreed - for adults. I think the idea in some parts of Italy of lids being compulsory upto age 14 is about right - and protects kids from their parents.

I would not say the same for motorcycle riders in the UK because the numbers and risks are so much higher. And can we have a photo to prove how you got your name, otherwise I amgoing to stick with the image provided by laundryman, Toofy Grin

xanderajma, I agree about the proper patrolling of home runs and slow areas. Wish it would happen in Yurp.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB, stoatsbrother, especially for you both with apologies for meandering off topic:

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
P.S. I don't have a problem with such a thing as 'piste patrol', especially if the emphasis is on safety rather than stopping people having fun. Haven't ever seen anything like this in Europe but I do tend to ski during weeks when the pistes are generally fairly empty.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, nice head angulation!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I must write in an alternative form of English, either that or different words appear on the screen for other people Puzzled

rayscoops,
Quote:
queen bodecia has not said that in any way whatsoever.

My point, exactly.

If any one of these lives can be saved by making sure the idiots are dealt with then its worth doing.

clarky999, What European method, France apart there isn't one. Apart from head in snow and hope it doesn't get too widely reported Mad

The difference is not remotely subjective. if I ski fast enough to be a danger to myself then thats my right, as soon as I become a danger to others then I need to, and should be, stopped.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ghastly accident. Two people severely injured: one of them dead.
As mentioned previously here: the slope my have been labelled easy, but this was clearly a high speed collision.
This study in the The Journal of Trauma: Injury, Infection, and Critical Care suggests injury to the aorta may not be as rare as we thought.
Wikipedia Article

But that doesn't mean anyone was being irresponsible (such a pity no witnesses)
Some skiers do ski too fast on purpose, but many end up skiing fast by accident.
They lose control and career down the slope.
Maybe in this accident two such out-of-contol skiers collided.
I am unsure how to protect against this.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
robboj, I think you are just banging your drum to a different tune then wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles wrote:
Intriguing that many insurance companies consider off-piste skiing to be a higher risk than on-piste. Of course much can go wrong off-piste - as has been discussed often in sH. Yet there have been times when I have felt distinctly safer off-piste than on - because of collision risk.

Yep, easy off piste much easier than difficult piste, and safe off piste much safer than dangerous piste. Still difficult to define easy/safe off piste though. Confused

beanie1 wrote:
achilles,
Quote:

In such circumstances I will look to see what the off-piste is like, I also consider (and sometimes take) a lift back down to the bottom of the slopes.

I do exactly the same. Off piste normally safer (for me) in these circumstances, and there's no shame in taking the lift down when you're tired, it's busy and the conditions are deteriorating.

Last week, returning from Verbier to Nendaz for quick shower, pack and flight home, the Lac des Vaux chair to Chaussure stopped whilst I was on it. I'd been planning a last blast on the itinerary down to Tortin but taking into account having my legs skied off in the morning by a mate, my schedule and the number of skiers I knew would be mincing about on it, when I got to the top I just caught the gondola down. Quick ski to Siviez and got a comfortable seat and a snooze on the packed bus back to Nendaz. Definitely growing up. Very Happy

beanie1 wrote:
Re my football / skiing comment. Yes skiing is obviously more potentially dangerous, but the fact remains there are more (in percentage terms) deaths and serious (ie not broken limbs,, twisted knees etc) from sports such as football, and yes I believe badminton.

Labelling sports "extreme" is a marketing tool.

Dunno about badminton - I used to play a bit and don't recall a lot of injuries. Football is however very dangerous - lots of injuries all the time. Far more than in skiing whether per player or per time spent doing it, I'd wager.

fatbob wrote:
I agree with queen bodecia - sometimes things are just accidents and you can't try to legislate against them all.

Couldn't agree more. Also some incidents occur due to the actions of a one in a million maverick or psychopath. Legislation and whole bureaucratic systems to stop this are also illogical and inefficient . The next maverick will do something different enough not to have been stopped but of equal deleterious effect.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, I thought you said you were fat. Doesn't look it to me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother, I've met her. She isn't.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother wrote:

Fantastic chat up line !

Almost as good as you don't sweat much for a fat lass. Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges wrote:
Football is however very dangerous - lots of injuries all the time. Far more than in skiing whether per player or per time spent doing it, I'd wager

Based on the performance (lack of) of my fantasy football squad I would agree, currently not doing so well as it looks as if at least half the players are injured. My own fault for not transferring and doing dumb stuff like selling defoe
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
stoatsbrother wrote:

Fantastic chat up line !

Almost as good as you don't sweat much for a fat lass. Wink

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stop it all of you! I'm chunky. Maybe not 'fat' as such but definitely overweight. And it's all paid for. Laughing
snow conditions
queen bodecia,
I know it's off topic but in order to reach a verdict I think we need a few more pics of you in leather garments. Wink
snow conditions
DB, sod off! Laughing Laughing
snow report
clarky999, Sorry clarky999, i've not put what i meant to say very well there Crying or Very sad
The slow zones are for places where there are pistes merging or where harder runs turn into learner slopes, or on specific homeward runs. This is where skiing fast can be dangerously, or skiing fast in the wrong place. It's not normally advanced ppl causing problems i find its those who have just become intermediates as they can now go fast but not always controlled. Admittedly the contract with ski pass is a little over litigious, but it makes ppl aware of actions.
I love skiing fast don't get me wrong, i feel i'm always in control (maybe not sliding on my face on a rail in the park) but you never know when someone will do something stupid.

My point is that i think the N.Americans have a better control of the danger areas and maybe the european resorts can learn something
snow report
queen bodecia, ok, what about lace Little Angel
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
I'm not from Colchester nor have I ever fought any Romans. Laughing

Hmm... You would say that, wouldn't you? wink
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
DB, stoatsbrother, especially for you both with apologies for meandering off topic:

Respect.
ski holidays
I ski in both Europe and N. America and I have to agree with xanderajma on the point the N. America tends to do a better job w/ safety concerns. I have noticed that Ski Patrol, or whatever you want to call them, are rarely seen in Austria. I can only speak to Austria, because it's the only place in Europe I skied. I absolutely love skiing there, but they could do a better job of marking slow zones. I think that's really the only thing they need to do. It's mainly just for areas where trails merge & home runs. I bomb down as fast as anyone on a piste, but in merge areas and home runs there's no need.

None of this is to say that this would've prevented this particular accident, but it's something to consider. I was in Zell am See a few weeks ago & a snowboarder collided with me. He came out of nowhere. Luckily I saw him at the last minute & avoided a direct hit and stayed on my feet. But we saw more than a few collisions there on our trip. Personally, I ski a lot in Vermont, and mainly ski in the trees. I'd rather ski around trees that don't move than crowded slopes with novice/intermediate skiers.
ski holidays
farlep99 wrote:
I ski in both Europe and N. America and I have to agree with xanderajma on the point the N. America tends to do a better job w/ safety concerns.

Say what you can about N America, I got hit more than once by out of control skiers & boarders!

Quote:
Personally, I ski a lot in Vermont, and mainly ski in the trees. I'd rather ski around trees that don't move than crowded slopes with novice/intermediate skiers

The saving grace of N American resorts are the lower density on the slopes.

First, skier density is lower per resort compare to the Alps to start with. Second, instead of 99% of the punters all skiing on piste, half of NA skier/boarder are usually off-piste, where speeds are severely curtailed due to lack of piste bashing! I've never even once make contact with another skier while off-piste.

Quote:
None of this is to say that this would've prevented this particular accident, .

No amount of measure can prevent each and every accident. But good measures and preventions could reduce the potential of collisions. So statistically, there WILL BE less collisions if certain rules are being enforced. Though from the sound of it, European resorts are not in the habit of enforcing ANY such rules.
ski holidays
I'm not 100% convinced of teh legal contract with eth elift company, and taking passes away. BUt i woudl wholly suggest that piste patrollers having quiet words would probably be a much better contribution. What is someone who has had their lift pass taken away to do - they will go and get another one, feel totally picked on, and then not change tehir ways. Someone who has had a quiet word that perhaps they are a little out of control/little too fast etc. has time to reflect in a non-confrontational situation, and that possibly will lead to multiple benefits, as they will more likely take that on board, more likley discuss the incident with friends and others, and hopefully that will contribute to raising better awarenss.

Trouble with all these "let's have more piste patrollers" suggestions is that there must be a "let's raise the cost of a lift pass by another £100 a week - which is presumably why it's more expensive for lift passes in the US where they have all tehse wonderful piste patrollers.?

S
snow report
abc wrote:
... European resorts are not in the habit of enforcing ANY such rules.

Having talked to easiski about this, I think there are legal problems in doing so, in France at least. I gather that in LDA, or somewhere near, a lift lift pass was confiscated; the deprived skier went to court, and won.
latest report
achilles, Maybe because the T&C's for the sale of the pass were not sufficiently robust to allow for the confiscation?

Anyway seeing as the majority of posters on here don't want safety to improve I have decided that next trip I'm gonna find myself a nice tall tree and a big sniper rifle! if you break the rules that's it, one shot one kill, and don't run - you'll only die tired!

I think I'm gonna need a lot of ammunition!

Shocked wink Twisted Evil
snow conditions
robboj, I think you just need to chill out a bit and enjoy your skiing. It's still safer than crossing the road.
snow conditions
robboj wrote:
Anyway seeing as the majority of posters on here don't want safety to improve...

Good grief, how did you reach that conclusion?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,apologies, to clarify, the majority of posters on this thread.
snow conditions
robboj, I think you must be reading a different form of English to every one else on here, can you please indicate/quote anyone who has said they 'don't want safety to improve' ? and maybe look up the meaning of the word 'majority' too wink
ski holidays
rayscoops, Did I say anyone said that?

Anyway i'm off to clean my rifle........
snow conditions
robboj, .... err.... more or less yes .....

robboj wrote:
Anyway seeing as the majority of posters on here don't want safety to improve
snow report
rayscoops,

I tried to make a point about the fact that skiing is more dangerous that it should be because of a minority of people who choose to make it so.

With a few exceptions almost every posters angle was either that it is not the case, or that I was overreacting, or was it bleating? At best it was that it can't be done for (insert excuses) reason!

If you want to to steer the thread off topic again by focussing on the pedantic then go ahead but i'm not playing.

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
robboj, nope, I read the thread again and you must be using a different form of English Laughing

I agree that a lot more could be done to make pistes safer, but just because every poster has not said as much does not mean they hold a different opinion.
ski holidays
robboj, you don't work for the "Safety" Camera Partnership, do you? wink
ski holidays
Quote:

I think the people over the pond USA and Canada have a better (through their litigation culture) agreements of use of the slopes. When u buy your lift ticket u enter into a contract to adhere to the rules and laws of the mountain you are on.

In my head I know that there needs to be some way to curb the nutters who:
a) think ski/board lessons are for sissys
b) think speed and showing off is more important than control or taking care
c) have no concept of skiing to their ability
e) drinking a skinful at lunchtime is ok because its holidays/europe/whatever

but please don't ever let Europe descend into the situation in the states where every jumped up official thinks they're from NYPD and gets off on enforcing rules. I haven't skiied in the states for precisely that reason due to the treatment I've received from every other official there (I have to go for work) - customs. police, security, clerks....... Just can't face it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Parkyparcours wrote:
but please don't ever let Europe descend into the situation in the states where every jumped up official thinks they're from NYPD and gets off on enforcing rules. I haven't skiied in the states for precisely that reason due to the treatment I've received from every other official there (I have to go for work) - customs. police, security, clerks....... Just can't face it Toofy Grin

perhaps you should try skiing in Canada then wink
ski holidays
rayscoops, maybe his waterproofs are not good enough.
latest report
rayscoops, I LOVE Canada Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Parkyparcours, Very Happy
achilles, wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy