Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heal movement in boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello folks,

This is my first post here, so I hope I meet the high standard of posting required Smile
Recently I've developed a bit more vertical movement of my heal in my boots. I was wondering just how much is normal. I've been skiing for about 12 years, and I'm a confident piste skier on all colours but I don't like bumps. About 5 years ago I bought my own ski boots - Salomon Performa 7s which were heat fitted to my feet. They've been very comfortable and are well bedded in, and I really like them. However this year I had a private lesson and the instructor finally managed to get me to be far enough forward in my boots all the way between turns. This has lead to me finding I'm able to lift my heal about 1 to 2 cm if I just lean a little further forward, which feels slightly disconcerting, as if my foot is going to come out of my boot. Tightening the boots doesn't seem to alter this - and anyway they seem tight enough already. Is this amount of movement to be expected - is it just that I need to get used to the new position I'm finding myself in or do I need to do something with my boots or liners?
For the technically minded, I have broad feet with a high instep. I usually take size 10.5 shoes, in the widest fitting available (double H I seem to recall). My skiboots are sized at 29.5 - UK11.

Many thanks

Colin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aireworth...Welcome to the forum I am sure you will get an abundance of advice to help you solve that pesky heel lift.

Without seeing your feet and checking your mechanics it is hard to say what the issue is. often if the heel lift has not been present until later in the boots life there is a strong possibility that the liner has screwed the pooch and is no longer capable of holding the heel properly. The boot that you had also may have been ok 5 years ago but as you have progressed i would suspect that you are now in need of a boot that has a better flex rating and one that works well with your specific mechanics. In some cases when heel lift is persistant there can be a reduction or limitation in ankle mortise (ankle flexion) and in these cases the heel is leveraged out of the heel pocket. Often increased ramp angle will dramatically help in this matter.

all of this is of course hyperthetical and I would suggest you find a qualified bootfitter and have an assessment done to make sure that you are still in the correct product and then you will have a better idea of the route to follow...there is a strong possibility that you have out grown the performa 7 boot.

Good luck
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
aireworth, Welcome to sH's snowHead (and if you've looked around a bit, you'll find that there is no hugely high standard of posting that you have to achieve....) Toofy Grin

I had those boots up until last winter and had the same problem. The liners just suddenly expired one trip and they became hugely uncomfortable and I had heel lift (along with a nasty set of blisters to match). Would second ski4life's advice - get thyself to a boot fitter toot sweet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have found a similar thing with my boots.
I am sure I need something much closer fitting, but I am still a recreational skier so ski all day long and need comfort.
I am scared if I change my boots it might screw up my technique rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Your heel should not lift in you boots. After 5 years of use the liners may be shot but it's pretty likley that the boots just didn't fit properly in the first place, go to a good boot fitter and get some new ones.

I have very narrow heels and always had probems with my heel lifting with most boots I have tried over the years until I went to a good boot fitter. In my atomic boots I get zero heel lift even when putting down as much pressure as I can.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey Split,

even though you are a recreational skier the boots should fit really well and still offer comfort. The likleyhood is that your technique will improve with a properly fitted boot not get worse!

Good luck
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i havew exactly the same problem. I suspect that when I purchased my Atomic B9 boots some years ago I was not as good a skiier and I went for comfort because i was concerned about rental boots I had used before being massively uncomfortable. So I probably purchased something too roomy in the first place.

In my current boots I can absolutely strangle my calf muscles to the point I cut off circulation and I still get some heel lift, about 1 to 2cm as well. I am 6'2'' and 105 kilos. With very wide feet and also a high instep. It was a pain finding anything at all wearable in snow and rock. The guy in the last rental shop i was in too the wee wee out of my 'racing boots' so I think now is the time to upgrade and get a more responsive boot.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The boots I have now are the first boots I've ever worn where I can't lift my heels. It wasn't until I became a snowHead that I realised heel lift was something to be avoided. Still not quite sure why but I bow to the superior knowledge of the bootfitters.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
why is heel lift so bad in laymans terms? and how much is too much? surely every foot moves a bit inside a boot? and how tight should the boot be strapped on around the ankle and calf.

My GF stops regularly with excruciating cramps becuase she has padded her bots out with foam inserts and straps them on so tight.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rumdiary, if your heel is lifting
1 you cannot pressure the ski properly
2 you will compress the top of the foot (lots of nerves and vascular)
3 you will load up the ball fot eh foot and get ramps/pain

when the boot si clipped firmly around the ankle there should be no lift when you are going through normal skiing motions. if you try and pull your heel up it is likely to move to some extent (dependant on the fit of the boot and your foot shape

the B tech boot is a great boot in terms of a wide forefoot and reasonable instep height and it has a pretty narrow heel as boots of that type go, the biggest problem is if the boot is too big...easy mistake to make as the correct size often feels too small until the foot is properly supported

a lack of ankle flexion can also cause heel lift as a compensation
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
aireworth,welcome to snowheads... sorry i almost forgot to answer your question... it sounds like your boots may be a size too big, normally i would not be going up in size from shoe to ski boot, that and combined with the use that they have had so far will have packed the liners down and given even more space

it sounds like it is time to have the feet assessed and get a nice new pair fitted
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM, CEM, you are the bootfitter in Bicester? if so i have passed on the link for your business to my gf and she will be coming to seek your advice on a new boot. Hopefully this week as she is visiting her mum in Oxford. I think I may have purchased boots that were just too big originally so may take your advice when i get back to the uk.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski4life, CEM and others,

Many thanks for the replies. I'm up for some new boots Happy Can I use your posts as evidence of necessity to present to the Dear Lady Wife? (well, I'm going to anyway...). Any suggestions for bootfitters in West Yorkshire, or do I have to go Manchester way?

Colin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
aireworth, we will plead the 5th if your wife holds it against us wink wink

glide & slide i Otley is about as close as you will get, if not over tyo see graham in Rivington or head south

rumdiary, yes guilty as charged, get her to call up and make an appointment if she has not already... we are fully booked this week but have a few slots next week
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Ski4life, I think I'll take note of what is happening and see what to do.
If I remember correctly, when I am stood still and really lean forward onto my shins I can feel some lift, but I am not sure about when I am moving. I got some new long fat ski's and became more aware of it then. Thanks for the advice guys and gals.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy