Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BBC v Eurosport

Poster: A snowHead
If you have both which do you go for ?

I like Graham Bell and Ed Leigh but the ones who are out for a jolly and know nothing about the sports are seriously getting on my wick !

Eurosport gets the node for me, although I still cant work out their scheduling - it seems to bare no resemblance to what's actually on. And using Sky Plus is a joke - you normally end up with an hour of Handball (whatever that is) or some Rallying !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Handball (whatever that is)
surely a paid-for channel.

For skiing prefer Nick & John over Matt & Graham

Neither channel exactly covering themselves in glory though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm on both, I like Ed's commentary on the boardercross but his partner in crime was hopeless...however tonight the ladies was meant to be on the Red button but got lost in beeb land, so I had to go with Eurosport who's commentators are just poor.

In the skiing I like belly for having been there done that and the canadian bird they have doing the 'pieces to camera alongside that horsey woman' seems to know her onions...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett, it was on the beeb Red button - I've just watched it Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a lot of debate about this on the motorcycling forums I read. Personally, I only have BBC (Freeview) so have only watched Eurosport at other people's houses and the adverts in the middle of the races completely ruined it for me.

However, a lot of the sport I like is on Eurosport and if there was a way to subscribe to that alone (I don't want Sky) then I would probably consider it. I realise it's available on internet subscription but my pooter is not up to that.

So, I'm stuck with BBC coverage which on the whole I am happy with. The lack of adverts and the red button coverage (which can be recorded through Freeview Plus) are real benefits for me. I agree that some of the commentators are irritating but I think you'd get that with any sports coverage on any channel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
French Eurosport here, especially after the Swiss channels went onto the footy just as the boarderX finals started. Minyou noone showed the qualifying I had a choice of biathlon (4 channels) or ice hockey (3 channels).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Based on the skiing specifically I'd say Eurosport is aimed at those who watch it every week and the BBC those who watch is every four years (Which is understandable and fine)
Nick and John Clarke assume you know what's going on to a large extent, though I think Nick gets a bit over dramatic (even if he was very nice and came over to chat to my mum in Les Houches when it was her birthday Smile)and thought JC used to do a decent job on his own - he spots lots of subtleties.

Patrick Winterton and Mike Dixon also do a good job on the XC & Biathlon.
Am I alone in finding Graham a bit annoying and full of himself sometimes ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Eurosport for me. I find Graham Bell on the Beeb a bit irritating as a commentator. I also just prefer the Eurosport format on the whole, and as for most of the winter there is very little skiing on BBC anyway, I usually just stick with Eurosport.

D
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett wrote:
I'm on both, I like Ed's commentary on the boardercross but his partner in crime was hopeless......

i thought she was useless as well, however after a bit i found her occassional grunting to be quite erotic.. but then maybe thats just me
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
She did seem to contradict Ed a fair few times!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I love eurosport when they have an american commentator on and someone in the boardercross falls and he says "and she's just fallen on her fanny!"

Shocked

hehe... that's the americans for you!

The BBC coverage has been much better than eurosport for me though and there's no pesky adverts!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just find Eurosport commentary annoying, and the stupid adverts too. German Eurosport is handy because (a) it is free, and (b) has more wintersports, even if 90% of it seems to be cross country skiing.

Ed & Graham are ok in the bits for expert opinion etc. but neither really make good commentators imho. Ed's commentary partner was comedy though.

As for Sky+... well Eurosport has the most random (in)ability to show what's in the EPG and Now+Next at the stated times, so Sky+ing that channel is just asking for disappointment.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you plus Eurosport remember to plus the programme before and after just in case. Live sport doesn't run to schedules on the whole, and Eurosport won't cut from something if it's live and hasn't finished. I've learnt that from recording the cycling and have it cut off with 5k to go after I'd been watching the race for 2 hours!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm intrigued by this. If I record something via Freeview plus, it's the programme I'm setting it to record, not necessarily the time. If schedules change or the programming is running late, it doesn't affect my recording at all. I'd have thought Sky Plus works in the same way?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No idea queen bodecia, I use Virgin Plus. But it records the time slot, and not the programme unfortunately.

Perhaps Freeview uses a code like video plus that is unique for a programme.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd have thought Sky Plus works in the same way?

Yes it should, but Eurosport are very slack in making what is on screen match the EPG (well Vice Versa, I suppose). Live, "re-Live", or not live are all affected.
latest report
shoogly,
Quote:

I love eurosport when they have an american commentator on and someone in the boardercross falls and he says "and she's just fallen on her fanny!"

Schoolboy humour - love it Laughing Laughing

bertie bassett,
Quote:

............................. the canadian bird they have doing the 'pieces to camera alongside that horsey woman' seems to know her onions

Think you'll find that Kerrin Lee-Gartner is a former Olympic DH Gold Medallist so yes I'd expect her to 'know her onions' Laughing
latest report
shoogly,
Quote:

Schoolboy humour - love it Laughing Laughing

bertie bassett,
Quote:

............................. the canadian bird they have doing the 'pieces to camera alongside that horsey woman' seems to know her onions

Think you'll find that Kerrin Lee-Gartner is a former Olympic DH Gold Medallist so yes I'd expect her to 'know her onions' Laughing
snow report
Watching the mens halfpipe on Eurosport - the Japanese coach REALLY looks like Lionel Blair Shocked
snow report
I've been watching it on canadian tv when i get the chance, and you're lucky if they show anything that isn't canada related..hockey or endless replays of the moguls and border cross wins.
ski holidays
andy wrote:
As for Sky+... well Eurosport has the most random (in)ability to show what's in the EPG and Now+Next at the stated times, so Sky+ing that channel is just asking for disappointment.

Very true.

I completely missed the comb. downhill yesterday thanks to Eurosports persistent changes, despite putting about 6 programmes to record.

Their coverage generally this season has been abysmal for me. Constant schedule changes, or simple non coverage (Cortina) has ruined much of the coverage.

Far too much waffle on the BBC.

Matt Chilton would be my commentator of choice.

Nick Fellowes, you just DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT all the time.
latest report
Matt Chilton, when commenting on the Men's Olympic downhill must have been looking at another event, many of his observations were inaccurate. Does he know anything about skiing?
snow report
Commentry on both is dire, but I prefer the Eurosport two to a hasbeen telling us how bad everyone going down a run is doing, when the same guy never came anyhere near as good in his entire career.
The WORST of the lot is the boring old fart covering the ski jumping for Eurosport. If he could remember the name of the jumper on the run at any one time, and if he could make anything better than a 50/50 guess as to whether they are over the calculation line it would be a miracle. rolling eyes
ski holidays
dan2000, I am with you. But if you take the opposite of what Clarky says then you have a good chance of being right and Ed Leigh is pure comedy - didn't know one ski cross racer from another and if he did he got their name wrong anyway. Just as well Graham was there to keep him on track and Nick F is not bad although not a skier. Neither Alain Baxter nor Finlay were brilliant but was good to have their expert opinion when they could get a word in edge-wise...
latest report
Glad to see that "Priceless (pointless?) Antiques" is maintaining its stranglehold on BBC's 'top-drawer' coverage of the Olympics...

Along with many other things (over the course of a few years now), I'm starting to wonder if the people at BBC Sport have completely lost the plot...
snow report
I asked ex-racer Lesley Beck on what she thought of the coverage - I had to hold the phone away from my ear at one point she got so heated. But then she calmed down enough to write this http://www.fall-line.co.uk/news/olympic-coverage-sub-standard
I think the Norwegian skiercross helmets are the best, by the way. Canadian skiercross suits sent my tellly on the blink.
Eurosport coverage for me, overall. More consistently informed and I ended up watching and enjoying sports I know nothing about. Like skiing...
ski holidays
Quote:

If you plus Eurosport remember to plus the programme before and after just in case. Live sport doesn't run to schedules on the whole, and Eurosport won't cut from something if it's live and hasn't finished. I've learnt that from recording the cycling and have it cut off with 5k to go after I'd been watching the race for 2 hours!

Us too... Crying or Very sad Will make sure we do the 'next programme' when it comes to TdF.

Been on Eurosport throughout pretty much all the time, except for the ski cross stuff. Better informed commentators as many others have said on the whole. Have also worked out if you Sky+ then start watching it a bit later after start you can run through the ads....Anyone for Aspire Academy Toofy Grin

Quote:

The WORST of the lot is the boring old fart covering the ski jumping for Eurosport.

Oh dear - that'll be Dave Goldstrom. Are you sure it just isn't the fact that the ski jumping is terminally boring anyway... NehNeh He's been on the biathlon and cross country too, and has been ok. He ususally does Eurogoals.
ski holidays
I'll take Eurosport over the German state broadcasters.

Sure the announcers say some stupid things. Apparently Whistler is in the Rockies and Vancouver is so warm because it's on the Atlantic. But they show more actual sports. On the German channels they keep cutting away to interview Katarina Witt about what club she went to last night or have a camera following the German coach instead of showing the competitors from other countries.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Powderhound wrote:
Nick F is not bad although not a skier

Erm...
Quote:
Nick was born and bred in Wolverhampton, West Midlands in June 1963. He joined the Telford Ski club and began race training at the local dry ski slope on a regular basis. Nick left school early to become a trainee ski instructor at Cairdsport in Avimore in 1979 and became one of the youngest BASI 111 qualified instructors at just 16. The opportunity to ski regularly and watch the British team train gave Fellows the final nudge to pursue a ski racing career. Fellows took the plunge into full time training after winning the English Junior Titles.

After competing on the European tour and gaining good results at the British Championships, Nick was selected by the 1983 British Alpine Ski team. He also continued to study and qualified with the British Association of Ski Instructors passing his grade 1 ISIA exam in 1985 with a double merit.

Nick remained part of the British ski team from 1982/83 season through to 1989, racing in Europe, North America and collecting two national titles and a string of international accolades along the way however injury got in the way of further success
snow report
Jon.L, so he's not that bad then.. snowHead Did wonder what his links were. Might not be so sneery about him in future. snowHead
snow conditions
fallliner wrote:
I asked ex-racer Lesley Beck on what she thought of the coverage - I had to hold the phone away from my ear at one point she got so heated. But then she calmed down enough to write this http://www.fall-line.co.uk/news/olympic-coverage-sub-standard
Wow, that was really quite a restrained reflection on the BBC's coverage. I'm not sure I could have held back that much given how God-awful it was...

Quick question - do more Brits have an interest in skiing or curling? I certainly know which has a larger participation, and most people that have tried it. I also am pretty sure which is more exciting to watch (then again, people watch golf, so there's no accounting for some)... Yet we get night times worth of coverage of the curling, and instead of the skiing we get Priceless Antiques. Given that the antiques would still be priceless a week or two later (on the assumption that eternal value is vital to be 'priceless') then surely we could have watched the skiing... It's an Olympic Games for crying out loud! I doubt they'll put a re-run of Bargain Hunt on whilst the 100m is being run in 2012... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

the ski jumping is terminally boring anyway.

it certainly is. They should cut it out and have some more lively events on the skicross lines. Or maybe "jump cross" with four parallel tracks.
latest report
Love curling, can watch it for hours...mesmerising
latest report
There is too much chat not enough sport on BBC!
Watched the US vs China Basketball on Eurosport today while flicking to BBC HD for some Gymnastics during the breaks. Both pictures were stunning but when Eurosport showed the highlights of the same gymnastics I'd watched later in the day the picture was awful, looked like poor upscaled SD although the on screen DOG looked as good as ever. It was the same shots shown on each channel so dunno why the hell Eurosport's pic was so bad,
snow report
Laughing Just read this:
fallliner wrote:
ex-racer Lesley Beck: http://www.fall-line.co.uk/news/olympic-coverage-sub-standard

"but he’s our male chauvinist"
...made me smile - and I can just picture Lesley saying it!
ski holidays
Very good read!

Thanks for linking back to it, Martin. I'd missed it.

Your brother clearly needs a bit of education.
snow conditions
I think French Eurosport is a significant improvement over the UK version.
ski holidays
Is it just me? Nick Fellows and International Ski Coach John Clark should back away from commenting on a ski racers performance: e.g. Oh this is very untidy skiing not the way to ski this piste etc etc - then said skier finishes in the top 5. I have to watch Eurosport with the sound off as I find their inane and usually inappropriate comments quite irritating and they detract from the race. Do they not realise that it is better to say nothing at all than to make unwise comments that are often proved to be misplaced within a few seconds of them making them. I suggest that Eurosport commissions some commentators who actually know what they are watching and properly understand the risks being taken by the competitors. Check out Sky F1. They use commentators who actually know what they are talking about. Fellows and Clark indulge too much of the I, me, my. Their personal views on the performance of a skier are imprudent at best and usually proved wrong as any race progresses. Has Nick Fellows ever raced? How many FIS points has John Fellows, International Ski Coach, ever won on the World Cup circuit? Please Eurosport can we have some commentators who have some understanding of downhill, super G, Giant Slalom and Slalom and allow these two to rest their vocal chords. All they seem to be interested in is the sound of their own voices. End of rant!!!
snow report
Emma Carrick-Anderson was the best during the Olympics. She explained the 'why' and the 'how' not just the described the 'what'.
ski holidays
That sounds about right. A real racer commentating on racing constructively, not just talking so that she can hear the sound of her own voice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy