Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need to complete 35hrs of ski school experience BASI

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

New to this Fourm

Hope i have posted this in the right place

Completed Level 1 Alpine Course with Basi

Done the Safeguarding Children Module and First Aid Certificate

Now i need to complete my 35hrs of ski school experience in order to continue onto Level 2

Does anybody know how to go about this , i know dry ski slopes and snowdomes teach beginers/intermidates

Would you approach them looking for a job , or as work experience asking not be payed just to be singed off on your 35hours??

Any body that has had any experience with this would be great help
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you've completed your L1 fully (including the 35 hours shadowing experience) get in touch with Pete Gillespie at The Snow Centre (he's the Head of the Snowsport School there) to ask whether they are recruiting part-time instructors at the moment. You should be able to get some paid hours at the moment as it's still fairly busy with the winter peak period. I'm a bit hazy about the rules, but do the 35 hours hours required before you start L2 have to be shadowing or will regular teaching hours be OK for BASI?

PS: Welcome to snowHeads
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can't work till you've done your 35 hours as you won't have a qualification yet! Ask at a convenient dry slope or snowdome if you can shadow their lessons. If you impress them they might even let you have a job once you're qualified. BTW Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Edit: I'm doing a couple of things at once here so not paying full attention. Having now read Rob's post I may have the wrong end of the stick. If you've already done your shadowing then you will need to do some work. Many people do find work where they've done their shadowing but there are a lot of slopes around so you'll just have to ask around if they need part-time instructors.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 16-02-10 22:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
slikedges, I got the impression that he had completed L1, including the first 35 hours, and was looking to do the next 35 hours so he could sign up for the L2 course.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for that

Say worse come's to the worst and i need to get the 35 hours done

Do you think Ski slopes would be willing to take you on , and pay you nothing just so you can get the hours signed off

As i plan to do the first Level 2 course that comes next season, As i have a friend that run's a independant ski school and is waking on more instructors next season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I got the impression that he had completed L1, including the first 35 hours, and was looking to do the next 35 hours so he could sign up for the L2 course

What sorry , you have to complete 70hours intotal in order to sign up to the Level 2
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
downhillstuart, if you have completed Level 1 (and BASI has issued you with a licence) go for a part-time contract with whatever is your nearest indoor/plastic slope. If you've not had you licence issued your only option is (unpaid) shadowing hours. Most slopes will be happy to have you shadow lessons.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
downhillstuart wrote:
Quote:

I got the impression that he had completed L1, including the first 35 hours, and was looking to do the next 35 hours so he could sign up for the L2 course

What sorry , you have to complete 70hours intotal in order to sign up to the Level 2

Yes. 35 hours to complete L1. Then another 35 hours before you can do the L2 course.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I beleive (not sure, I'm not with BASI) that you have 35 hours shadowing as part of getting the level 1 qualification. Then, once qualified, you have to do 35 hours teaching before you can do level 2.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
Then, once qualified, you have to do 35 hours teaching before you can do level 2.

It doesn't have to be teaching, could be shadowing(unless the rules have been changed since I did my L2).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
downhillstuart wrote:
Quote:

Ok, maybe I was right first time round! wink (see edit to my first post)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

(not sure, I'm not with BASI)

May i ask who you are with??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges wrote:
downhillstuart wrote:
Quote:

Ok, maybe I was right first time round! wink (see edit to my first post)

Yes, I think you were Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Then, once qualified, you have to do 35 hours teaching before you can do level 2.

It doesn't have to be teaching, could be shadowing(unless the rules have been changed since I did my L2).

35 hours ski school experience, including reception, slope patrol, ski/boot/board hire, shadowing lessons.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
downhillstuart wrote:
Quote:

(not sure, I'm not with BASI)

May i ask who you are with??

I'm in the Austrian system - apart from the german bit, it's a lot simpler and quicker!
ski holidays
Anything has to be easier than Basi
snow conditions
downhillstuart wrote:
Anything has to be easier than Basi

While I agree that there's a lot in the BASI process that seems a bit tiresome the shadowing hours I did before I started teaching was one of the most useful aspects of the process. It's worth making the effort to get a decent shadowing experience (with a range of good instructors) so when you get your first class in that first week it's not as daunting as it could be.
latest report
[quote="downhillstuart"]Thanks for that

Say worse come's to the worst and i need to get the 35 hours done

Do you think Ski slopes would be willing to take you on , and pay you nothing just so you can get the hours signed off

quote]

Yes!
This is called shadowing.
Your Trainer should have explained this to you.
So either they didnt do a very good job or you stopped listening when you heard the word "pass" Toofy Grin
latest report
downhillstuart, Hemel slope have been asking for instructor assistants, which would go towards your shadowing hours, as rob@rar, says, contact Pete Silver-Gillespie at the Snowcentre, Pete is also a BASI Trainer so will be able to answer your questions also.

Instructors doing shadowing hours are always welcome.
latest report
The first 35 hrs has to be shadowing to get your L1. The second 35hrs before you get your L2 can be either shadowing or working - although I think BASI encourage shadowing. Asrob@rar, says if you intend to teach the more shadowing you can do the better (even once qualified - you learn so much from others).
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
It's worth making the effort to get a decent shadowing experience (with a range of good instructors) so when you get your first class in that first week it's not as daunting as it could be.

downhillstuart, good advice from Rob. If you can hook up with some good, experienced Instructors to shadow it will put the L1 training into perspective and set you up well for when you are on the Hill for 'real'.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy