Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should people be able to go offpiste and put others at risk?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
achilles, What about one of the Black Diamond Avalung packs then?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999, probably not - scroll down to the comment by ThomasB January 17th, 2009 12:38 pm.

Quote:
of the 6 people I know who have been caught in a slide while wearing an avalung. 2 had their packs ripped off and the other 4 didn’t have time/couldn’t put the mouth piece in their mouths.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles,
Quote:

but I still have a lot to learn

Who doesn't!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, I understand they're far from foolproof, but there are also plenty of reports where they've (likely) saved lives. For the sake of spending an extra £40/50 on a pack, it seems worthwhile to me, and it certainly can't hurt. I spent a bit of time practising getting my mouthpiece in quickly, I reckon it shouldn't be too hard.

Plus if the pack was ripped off an ABS would be no help either.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
I do occasionally dig a pit but the problem with them is they only give a snapshot and you might have to go onto a dangerous slope to dig it. IMO you should have a good idea on what you expect to find before digging based on your knowledge of the preceding weather and previous snowpack.

This is a very valid statement as rather minor changes in aspect, altitude, etc can result in major differences is snowpack stricture. If you take the example of an even slope below a ridge line that in some parts is a smooth rounded shape and in others is made up of steep rock an bluffs. The wind flow over the different shapes of the ridge will create totally different snow loadings. This can mean that your snow pit results will tell you all is ok, but twenty meters away there could be some dangerous wind slab. Only good knowledge of the big picture will fill in the gaps in your knowledge. To have the skills to see these factors take a lot of experience and also some formal training. Not the stuff you pick up from the web.[/quote]
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sarge McSarge, 'twas Swirly (whose opinion I rate) who penned that, not I.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry lack of finger/keyboard coordination. I have now edited. Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:
SwirlyOne thing I don't do is take ABS or similar. It strikes me as hassle to travel with, there must be a weight penalty - and on balance I don't think the risk over my 3 weeks skiing a year would justify the cost (yes, I know if caught in an avalanche I would take a different view!).

Yes definately feel the extra weight of the ABS rucksack on a ski tour although the new snowpulse rucksack is not that much lighter.

For a 30 litre rucksack
ABS =
Weight: 3.0kg (6.6 lb) without cartridge
ca 3.5 kg with cartridge
http://www.abs-airbag.com/vario30.php?chid=1270&sid=98210f7bf07db9c95d3efb6ff84f7fdc&m=3

http://www.snowsafe.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=211&osCsid=6fb77194ab

Snowpulse =
2.9 kg inc cartridge
http://www.snowpulse.ch/v5/product/products-range/life-bag-30l/en/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy