Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

9mm snow chains ok on Renault Espace?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Need to get some chains and have found numerous options out there. A lot of the sites suggest that 9mm chain are ok for cars, but for 4x4 or vans, something more substantial is recommended.

Now an Espace is essentially a car, albeit a pretty large one. Will I be ok with 9mm, or should I 'go large'?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They should be fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bar shaker, thanks.

Thought as much, but didn't want to end up in 'wish I hadn't bought these' situation.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IMT, if it's a "just in case" pair, should be absolutely fine. Just keep the speed right down if you actually need to use them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IMT, I've got an Espace and 9mm are fine. An Espace is very light for such a large car, it weighs no more than an average estate car.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IMT, I have 9mm chains on a VW Sharan which is a similar size and they have been fine.

I'm sure Spyderman, will correct me if wrong but the VW diesel is a heavy old beast so a lot of weight on wheels at front
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
when you see the way some people slam around, it's not surprising so many chains break. sometimes the problem is poor fitting - you need to get them as tight as possible, with the wire thing well over the back (ie not going to be in contact with the road) and stop every now and then to check them, and tighten them up if possible. And - most important of all - take them off if the road is not snowy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris, Diesel engines are heavy, as most have cast iron blocks to cope with the high compression ratios.

There is very little steel used in an Espace, lots of Aluminium and plastics.

pam w, I use the Weissenfell Clack n' Go chains, they're great because they're self tensioning.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman, mine are supposed to be self-tensioning too, and they're very good really. I rarely have to use them, because of having snow tyres, but I am a little obsessive about them and tend to check now and then - I have seen the damage a stray snowchain can cause, though the last friend who lost one just noticed it gone when she stopped - it must have dropped off somewhere along the road (from whence it possibly leapt up and wrapped itself round someone else underparts......)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, I had a broken chain link once, made a hell of a racket as it was hitting the inner wheel arch. fortunately the chains came with repair links and a hammer and pliers are part of my winter tool kit. Couple of minutes to remove, repair and re-fit them and I was on my way again.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, Boris, pam w, , cheers one and all. I'l get them ordered!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IMT, how old is your Espace - what size are the wheels?

I have an unused set for the latest Espace if you are interested?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My 2005 Espace has 225/55 R17 wheels and from a quick look, there's harly any space between the back of the wheel and the strut. I can't even see 7mm chains fitting it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Additional - I am looking at Jeko snow belts - anyone had any experience with them? My brake callipers look too big to get them between the wheel and the calliper safely tho. HELP! Shock
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
onefff wrote:
My 2005 Espace has 225/55 R17 wheels

Mine is same year with same tyre size, no problem with Weissenfells Klack n' Go. No experience of the Jeko you mention.

I run Winter Tyres on mine, scary without.
snow conditions
Shame I have a brand new set that only fit up to 225/55 R16 and don't fit any of the cars I now have !
snow conditions
Our S-max (225/50 17) has got through some horrendous roads on snow socks
latest report
onefff, Have a look at the Roofbox.co.uk site. If it is a "no-fit" for snow chains, they say so, but from what I can see, chains (well, the ones they supply) look OK on the Espace for that tyre size.
snow conditions
tangowaggon, I've had snow covered autoroutes all the way from Reims to Les Arcs, not a practical situation to run snow chains or socks for that distance or at a maximum of 30 mph. Winter Tyres are the answer. Sure I have chains too, but I've never needed to fit them on the Espace yet.
latest report
Espace update - I bit the bullet and got a set of 9mm chains and they fit OK. I rang a web store and they said "If there's a gap of 1mm beteen the chain and the strut you're OK" That seems a bit tight to me but there is a good finger width between the chain and the strut so I think I'm OK.

Following tangowaggon's post, I once did Basel to Riems in an Astra estate - wall to wall snow - middle of the night. Summer tyres too - not a lot of fun. Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy