Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski boards??

Poster: A snowHead
My knees are a bit dodgy and I read that ski boards are easier on the joints!
I usually ski, but fancy trying out some boards instead. They do look fun...
Any recommendations on what to try, and what boots do people wear on these boards...ski boots??
Cheers... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiboards = snowblades right?

About a metre long?

I have mates who have used snowblades. Supposed to be great fun. And I seen a guy skiing the Grand Couloir with snowblades. But I've never tried them because I am purist rolling eyes

Not sure how they are going to help your dodgy knees. I think you need a pipe and some slippers for those wink

Layne
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would have thought blades/skiboards would be a lot harder on knees because, being shorter, they will tend to go into every hole, where longer skis will tend to even out small surface variations.

Perhaps you really need much longer skis . . .
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Parhaps a little OT but snowboarding is easier on the knees, particular for torsional (twisting) problems. Have known several people take up boarding when they've blown their knees from years of skiing. I've had occasional issue with my knees, so I avoid running and other high impact stuff, boarded for 11 years now and never had any issues with knees other than a little stiffness now and again.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowblades are a LOT harder on your knees than skis. Although they are incredibly easy to turn, when the conditions are choppy your knees take a pounding. they also suck off piste Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/2QIHd9-H3u0 this explains them

skiboards are not bad on the knee's i used kneissl big foot's when i went to austria/germany i LOVE big foot's they are only 64cm long so alot easier carrying them around too ,Yellow Pyranha, thats not true they dont go in every hole , as a lover of big foot and skiboards i swear by them ...you know the big pockets of snow everyone hates? you'll love them on skiboards, they are also ok for 5 minutes or so off piste ,you have to get used to them on straights as they do feel a bit different to ski's - abit more sensitive! i am going to buy some snowjam 75's on friday for my trip to italy , also snowblades are made by salomon and are just a name by salomon and i have heard they are not very good for going backwards aparently they catch at the back alhough i have not tried them myself ....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
xt600 wrote:
My knees are a bit dodgy and I read that ski boards are easier on the joints!

Than long skis? Only if you're trying to twist an edged ski.

harriet, they're all skis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex, in a sense ....but skiboards are made and manufactured like snowboards rolling eyes there are a few differences
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

you know the big pockets of snow everyone hates

Yeah, you mean the bit that is the best part of skiing right?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
harriet, category "differences" := marketing gimmicks

clarky999, well put.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, have you ver used skiboards? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
harriet, more than you and everyone else in this thread has.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
well in my opinion they ride different to ski's they edge like snowboards your balance is completely different i find to when on ski's
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And how exactly do (snow)boards and skis edge differently? I haven't spent much time on a snowboard, but surely you just tilt it exactly as you would with skis, blades and 'skiboards..?'
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
xt600, If you do decide to purchase get a pair with "proper bindings" like these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Salomon-Snowblades-With-Quick-Release-Bindings-99cm_W0QQitemZ300397423023QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN?hash=item45f114e9af
ski holidays
harriet, that's skis not ski's. Sorry, but it's been doing my head in for days.
snow conditions
Sorry, aren't snowboards/snowblades/kneisel Big feet for "all-in-one-fag-bag-wearing-bum-bag-wearing-ski-club-of-Great-Britain-single-billy-no-mates-skiers"? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
harriet, that's skis not ski's. Sorry, but it's been doing my head in for days.

Here, here. Apostophes are to denote missing letters, possession, and the separation of letters in some abormal words. "skis" are not abnormal..............but then again my english holds a lot to be desired! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Morrissey, that's 'hear hear' as well, I'm afraid. Laughing
latest report
clarky999, I am not a snowboard person, so I can't answer your question properly.

I think most folks going to skiboards have not played much with fat long skis, so they are new to

1) the amount of modulation available before the edge is engaged, especially on softer snow
2) the enormous amount of weight shifting required to actually engage the edges

They are certainly new to

3) Easy twisting instead of tipping a partially edged ski
4) not having to pressure significantly along the ski to engage turns.

All of these are really subsets of a continuum of the class of 'skis'. The skills are exactly the same except different subsets of the whole skillset are emphasized.
snow report
xt600, good brands to look out for are:
summit. revel8. snowjam. line. spruce.

give me a pm if you want further advice
snow report
the doc wrote:
There's plenty of blades on Ebay at the mo...for about 0.99p...but I'd personally budget £1.99 so you've got enough money to phone your folks and tell them ya gay...

Which deserves repeating.
snow report
comprex wrote:
harriet, more than you and everyone else in this thread has.

Comprex is a snowlerblader. Wink
latest report
Quote:

Comprex is a snowlerblader.

in jeans!
snow report
hehee, cheers SWIRLY!
ski holidays
harriet wrote:
... skiboards are made and manufactured like snowboards ...

In what way is that different to the construction of skis?
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
harriet wrote:

The sprinkling of magic shizzle dust obviously duh NehNeh
snow report
rob@rar, I was windering that. Aren't they all just fancy wood-and-plastic sandwiches?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
harriet wrote:

The sprinkling of magic shizzle dust obviously duh NehNeh

Ah, and there was me thinking it was down to whatever was being smoked by the guys in the factory! Crooked roll-ups gives you skis, finest weed gives you snowboards.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy