Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiers abilities %'s

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
frank4short wrote:
Following on from some abuse i've received on another thread based on some statements i've made. I had it in mind to start another thread for discussion based upon ability levels from the elite to the masses. So here's my take on it, from my perspective as an off piste/ski mountaineering/freeride skier -

100% of skiers can put a pair of skis on & fall over
95% of skiers can get down the average green slope in any style
90% of skiers can get down the average blue slope in any style
75-80% of skiers can get down the average red slope in any style
75% of skiers can can get down the average blue slope in good style, perfect parallel skiing able to deal with & get around any difficulties they encounter
65-70% of skiers can get down the average black in any style
65% of skiers can can get down the average red in good style, perfect parallel skiing, able to deal with & get around any difficulties they encounter
50-60% of skiers can carve perfectly on reds & blues
50% of skiers can get down the average black in good style, etc., etc.
50% of skiers can can hack up off piste skiing to the steepness of the average red specifically powder or crud whilst periodically falling over & generally getting down but not having any style whilst doing so.
30-35% of skiers can ski in perfect powder up to the steepness of the average red without grace but getting down without falling over
25% of skiers can can ski powder, crud & windslab of the steepness of the average red at speed in perfect control without usually falling over.
20% of skiers can ski steeper (35-40 degree) off piste slopes without a lot of grace falling over occasionally
10-15% of skiers can ski steeper (35-40 degree) off piste slopes with good style & grace
10% of skiers can ski 45 degree slopes in perfect conditions without a lot of grace & falling over occasionally
5-7% of skiers can can ski 45 degree slopes with sustained constrictions eg. couloirs in perfect conditions
5% of skiers can ski 45 degree slopes in good style in most conditions
3% of skiers can ski 45 degree slopes with sustained constrictions in good style in most conditions
2% of skiers can ski slopes with prolonged sections of between 45 & 50 degrees in good conditions (just to note from around this point onwards conditions are assumed to be good as it's virtually impossible to ski in poor conditions if conditions aren't good).
1% of skiers can ski slopes with relatively short sections 50-100m of between 50 and 52/53 degrees (Once above about 50 degrees every degree of steepness makes a massive. Ignore the 5 degree jumps you here about in reports the difference between 50 & 55 degrees is enormous)
0.5% of skiers can can ski slopes that are sustained at 50-52 degrees, with very short periods, less than 30m of up to about 55 degrees
0.1% of skiers can ski slopes sustained at 55 degrees
0.05% of skiers can ski slopes sustained at 55 degrees that require extreme precision skiing & extensive mountaineering experience (think the Mallory Porter directly under the lift on the aiguille du midi)
0.01% of skiers can ski stuff harder than this

To put all of this into context in resort terms & i'm making a few assumptions here. An average resort say Tignes in high season will have say 15,000 skiers on the mountain in any given day. So -

50% - 7,500 people
10% - 1,500 people
5% - 750 people
1% - 150 people

Anyway you get the gist. These are just my thoughts based upon my time on the hills i'm open to others suggestions or interpretations of what they think this should be.

Decent piece of draft analysis.

My gut says you're overcalling some of the numbers.

You should set up a small survey on surveymonkey.com and see what kind of data you get.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it was a pretty good post and doesn't deserve all of the negativity but it seems that may be towards the poster rather than the post. For my two pence worth; realistically, even a second week skier could probably 'get down' a black run in skis if their life depended on it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's black runs & black runs though. I'm sure there're quite a few black runs that most two week skiers could get down in skis but there're equally a few black runs where almost all two week skiers could only keep their skis on if you wound their bindings up as tight as possible, pushed them and watched them cartwheel to the bottom. Some of them might have sustained serious injuries, some of them might have got lucky but yes, they'd have kept their skis on.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Libertine wrote:
I think it was a pretty good post and doesn't deserve all of the negativity

He's getting a ribbing for posts in another thread, as you say there is nothing unreasonable in this post.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy