Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help needed for March 2010 trip - La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Planing to go with my wife to La Rosiere on a friend's recommendation. We are still beginners on our 2nd ski season.

Which places do you guys recommend to stay? Which websites to find a reasonable price for a chalet with transfer included? Not fussy about sauna, pool, Plasma TV, etc. Just want to ski as much as possible. I think that if I need to buy transfer extra it will cost me a fortune.

I am planning to take lessons with the ESF guys and also need to sort out equip. hire and passes.

I am flying from any London airport to either Geneva/Chambery/Grenoble/Lyon
Dates: 6MAR - 13MAR

Help and recommendations are much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
redbaron51, I think most TOs will be able to offer what you want. Usually you can book everything, accommodation, flights, transfers, equipment hire and lessons through them, so one payment and it's all done. There is the alternative of booking everything separately yourselves, which works out cheaper for some, but at this stage a late deal with a TO might well be the best value option.

I'm in La Thuile that week, so hopefully will be skiing around the slopes of La Rosière also. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
redbaron51,

Ski Olympic have a number of chalets in La Ros. We stayed at their Chalet Oliver a few years ago and it was lovely (if a little way from the slopes). Some good last minute deals too on their website.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What is your budget?

TO operator wise my recommendation is to avoid the big firms such as Crystal and Skiworld, and go for a smaller operator such as Ski Amis, Ski Independence, Ski Olympic.

Some operators are listed at the bottom of the Ski Club resort guide.. http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiresorts/resortintro.aspx/La-Rosiere

If you are wait until a week to 10 days before you may be better placed to strike a deal. But you would have to be prepared to come up short and go elsewhere.

Layne

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 16-02-10 1:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
redbaron51, have a look at www.morealps.com and www.amountainchalet.com both small independent TOs who know La Rosiere very well and who offer good value holidays in great locations. I would concentrate on flights to Geneva as there are more transfer options from there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We stayed in Les Eucherts a couple of weeks ago. It's a new, small development on the way into La Rosiere and everything is pretty close to the slopes. Our chalet was down a very steep, slippery path which was not cleared, but was still only 5 mins from the lift/ski school with small children in ski boots. Not much night life though, just a couple of bars/restaurants, though it is only a 10-15 minute walk into La Rosiere.

We used Eurostar direct, depart St Pancras 10 am, arrive Bourg St Maurice 6.20 pm. Actually, it was delayed by an hour, but we had booked transfer with Altibus for €15 return; the last bus was supposed to be 6.45 but they held it for us till the train got in (after a call from the Eurostar train manager). Useful to know if you can only find accommodation only holidays.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
redbaron51, there's a lot of TUI (i.e. Thomson/Crystal) bashing on here. Personally I have travelled with them several times and have absolutely no cause for complaint. They're the biggest so usually have plenty of choice and offer a much larger range of regional airport departures than anyone else. That really counts to someone like me. However, since you're in London I daresay you don't need to go to great lengths for Gatwick avoidance!

Happy shopping!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia

Quote:

there's a lot of TUI (i.e. Thomson/Crystal) bashing on here. Personally I have travelled with them several times and have absolutely no cause for complaint. They're the biggest so usually have plenty of choice and offer a much larger range of regional airport departures than anyone else. That really counts to someone like me. However, since you're in London I daresay you don't need to go to great lengths for Gatwick avoidance!

You've answered your own question. The biggest operators are large scale. They get custom through being well known, a safe bet and having lot's of choice. But because it's a numbers game there is a lack of personal attention in my opinion. The staff inevitably are less inclined to pull the stops out for you, less likely to know the chalet, town, ski area so well. They have many satisfied customers who perhaps are quite happy with the trade off. Just my thoughts.

All the best.

Layne
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks everybody for posting helpful comments...

My budget is £600-£700pp with everything included, i.e., air/rail fares, accomodation, food, ski hire, passes.

I am now doing a thorough search on the internet for small/independent TOs.

the idea of going by train is great even though the price on Eurostar's website is extortionate.

I might gamble and wait till week-10days before 6th March and try to get a bargain. I will start a new thread asking for advise on where to go should I not find a deal for La Rosiere.

More ideas/comments are appreciated.

RB51
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The direct train can be very pricey. We ended up paying for first class last new year as it was booked up so quickly.
You could try looking up Eurostar return to paris, then change and TGV to Bourg. It is normally cheaper to change in paris than go on direct train. However the cheapest tickets for the indirect route will probably have gone by now too. If you are thinking of going by train book ASAP.

We went to La Rosiere last year. It is a quick taxi up the hill from Bourg and there is probably a bus option too.

I didn't initially post on this thread as we went for the luxury self catering with pool and you said you are not looking for that. (we stayed at cimes blanches appts in Les Eucharts). There are cheaper appts in this part of the resort (Les balcons) and they are well located for the lifts. You can book them through ski collection and I'd recommend this company. We really liked Les Eucharts. It is quiet with little traffic and we never had to queue to get on the lift. You can walk on a nice path through the trees to the main part of la rosiere if you want to go to other restaurants/bars. We didn't like the main part as much as lots of traffic and very overpriced bar at the bottom of the slope.

Our 8 yr old son was skiing for the second week and made a lot of progress in the ESF lessons using ESF Les Eucharts ski school. I'd say the slopes in la rosiere would be ideal for your second weeks skiing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
redbaron51, Skibeat and Skiworld also worth a try, both have chalets in Les Eucherts. I've used both, as well as Crystal and would rate them higher than Crystal each time. That's not to say that Crystal weren't perfectly ok - cheaper but very definately missing 'that little bit extra'. If your priority is to ski and are not to worried about all the little touches then any of them would be fine. All 3 have chalets which are well located for the slopes in La Ros.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy