Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet another Ski Boots for beginners recommedation thread

Poster: A snowHead
hi all,

I am new to ski (going for my 3rd season) and strongly considering buying my own boots as I think I have caught "the bug".= and will ski every season.

Therefore having this in mind, what do you, experienced skiers, reckon I should do/invest? It seems that there are high tech options available. To be honest I do know what I should look at at the shop, try on, etc

Comments and advice are much appreciated.

Cheers, RB51
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RB51,

You just have to go to a decent bootfitters. Only certain boots will be a nice fit for your feet. Only then do you look at the features of the boots available. And the chances are there won't be much to choose between them.

Where do you live, someone may be able to recommend a boot fitter.

Layne
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Feet need well fitted boots, matters not the level of the skier. Control makes sense at any level. Got a guy infront of me now, taking lessons but can't translate what he is being told to do cos his boots are too big. He can't steer his skis as he needs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you go to really good boot fitters they can post on Snowheads and fit boots at the same time wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But then I am in the middle of servicing a pair of skis...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
redbaron51, As others above say, well-fitted boots will make all the difference in the world. My husband recently went to Rivington Alpine (near Bolton) to be fitted as his own boots were causing pain so bad, that he had been unable to ski for more than half a day since buying them. Turned out they were almost 2 sizes too big and the 'wrong' style for his calves. Now properly fitted with a different make and style of boot, he has just enjoyed a full week of skiing, with no discomfort. We can highly recommend the shop, the staff and the service.

Just need to sell the original, barely-worn boots on Ebay now Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gadge, I'm smokin' a fag, drinkin' a beer and listening to music too!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
redbaron51,

If you go to any decent shop, you won't get to choose, you'll be told what is best for you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, Old school, love it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Quote:
Gadge, I'm smokin' a fag, drinkin' a beer and listening to music too!!

I was in awe of the skills of boot fitters before, you just made it so much worse wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
redbaron51, Buy boots but buy the ones that fit. Go see the SMALLZOOKEEPER.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
in short - tell us vaguely where you live and people will make some recommendations wink As everyone is saying, you don't get much choice - boots either fit or not, and your desire for brand X only gets in the way - which is why I have boots in a colour I hate, but a shape my feet love Toofy Grin After much badgering, the nice man in the shop (skeetex fwiw) did let me try the lovely pink+silver furry ones on but I was forced to concede he was correct they were MUCH less comfy and nasty grey and yellow boots it had to be Shocked aj xx
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi folks,
Thanks for all replies so far.
Based at West London - Heathrow
I don't care about brand, colour, style, etc
As long as it is confortable and functional as it should, that's what matters me.
Really considering getting the boots before my trip 6MAR
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
redbaron51, no trouble for you to get here then:-
http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/
Colin Martin is snowHead CEM - he is very highly recommended by umpteen people.
You'd need to phone for an appointment first: I've just seen on another thread that he is fully booked this week, but has some slots next week.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, What is the deal at solutions4feet??? Should I buy boots online from elsewhere cheaper and take to them, or buy direct from them? They will most def. charge a premium for their boots? How much do they charge for the fitting?
ski holidays
redbaron51, I suggest you phone Colin for a chat. He will tell it as it is. If you buy boots online, they could well be cheaper, but whether they will fit is a different matter altogether; I certainly wouldn't do it.
ski holidays
redbaron51, you won't pay any more for the boots from solutions4feet than you would in say S&R or Brighams, but you will get the right boot for you. If Colin doesn't have the right boot for you, he won't sell you one.
snow conditions
I'm another newbie who also needs some boots but I don't fancy going all the way to Bicester- is there anywhere in London or better still Brighton that you can recommend. I don't want to spend a huge amount as I reckon to get some more in a couple of years when I've progressed beyond the snowplough! Wasn't goign to buy any until i'd advanced a bit more but I seem to get shin bang (not sure that is the correct term bruising on my shins anyway) in hire boots! Any help would be most useful.
latest report
redbaron51, Wot Hurtle and Spyderman said, plus the fitting is included... and for some it takes ages (especially when they insist that the lovely powder puff blue ones that are the prescribed fit are just not going to ever be viewed in public) Toofy Grin
snow report
Spyderman, This is what we expect from professional people. I have just sent an email to solutions4feet

sillyskis, I am just on my 2nd eweek skiing, but I think it is a must to have your own boots, no matter how good or bad you are.

If spending a bit more means getting the right boots, I don't mind. As long as they are confortable and functional that's what matters.
snow conditions
redbaron51, A complete success story, well done.
ski holidays
sillyskis, welcome to snowHeads. snowHead
I don't know about Brighton, but these people in Fulham come recommended by some posters on here: http://profeet-px.rtrk.co.uk/ski_index.asp
I actually went to Profeet a couple of years ago to get some footbeds made for insertion in my old (oversized - as immediately pointed out by Profeet) boots. Colin of solutions4feet said they were OK to use in the new boots I bought from him, so I guess that constitutes something of a recommendation from within the trade as well.

Schuss in Boots, My new boots took scarcely any time to fit at all. Luckily I don't have Princess-and-the-pea Syndrome like some sHs who shall remain nameless. wink And also they're black, with natty see-through uppers, through which my red and blue ZipFit liners twinkle. Divine, my deah. If you like that sort of thing. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Great thanks- I'll try them! This is a great site for newbies like me- I'm learning loads just can't wait to get on the snow proper this year- spending far too much time in Milton keynes at the moment!
snow report
sillyskis, just out of interest, why are you travelling to Milton Keynes from London (Brighton?) when you could ski indoors at Hemel Hempstead?
ski holidays
That is a very good question!

I didn't realise that there was one in Hemel Hempstead until I saw this website! (duh- and I'm supposed to be a researcher) I guess I sort of got used to it there and it's cheap. I was going to give the Hemel one a go over in the next couple of weeks now I've found my skis a bit!

Would you say Hemel is better then?

Was also wondering whether to go along to the snowheads ski club but I wouldn't want to get in the way as I'm still ploughing although not too slow now! Be nice to find some people who love skiing as much as I do!
snow report
Do Surf and Ski still have a Brighton branch ? I had a apir of boots well fitted by the Reigate branc. Mind you they were SX82s so things might have moved on since then.
ski holidays
Just want to thanks Colin for a prompt, honest and professional advice. I will be def. seeing you in the future. Cheers
snow report
sillyskis wrote:
Would you say Hemel is better then?

Was also wondering whether to go along to the snowheads ski club but I wouldn't want to get in the way as I'm still ploughing although not too slow now! Be nice to find some people who love skiing as much as I do!

I think the snow at Hemel is better, and I like the fact that there are no pillars down the middle of the slope. However, I might be a touch biased as I teach at Hemel Wink

Just so long as you can ski the main slope (at Hemel or MK, they are very similar) there is no reason why you shouldn't go to the snowHeads Ski Club meetings, and every reason why you should!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If london people want something a little less full service than profeet but still a cut above dropping into your local s&r, skee-tex over towards southend have done well by me and my friends, one or two of which have historically been very tricky to fit well. aj xx
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy