Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier or Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
Got to choose either one this week for a weeks ski. What would you choose.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forgot to say i have 8 weeks on the slopes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mightysaints,
when are you going?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
March 20th
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't know Saalbach. I think Serre Chevalier would suit you well. Saalbach may be a bit cheaper overall - maybe others can comment on that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have been hearing that Serre is a bit of a hidden gem.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mightysaints, skied there all too long ago. Stayed in Villeneuve. Lovely, except that we were right next to the Church - and in those days the clock bell rang through the night, which took a bit of getting used to. Excellent variety of piste including down through trees. I am told the off-piste is excellent, too, but I wasn't up for it in those days. Friendly locals. A very happy week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mightysaints,cant comment on saalbach.but had fantastic week in serre che feb08,have recomened it to a friend who is going with skitopia last week in feb for 599 chalet board,lift pass.skis/boots,hire inc.check out snowAngels excellent reports on snow reports and advise. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mightysaints, I haven't been to Saalbach, but I've skied in Serre Chevalier more times than I can remember now. Although i do very little off-piste myself, I am told what there is is fantastic (hoping to do lots soon though). Definitely one of the friendliest resorts in France, aprés is not wild, but there are plenty of bars and good restaurants, including some that don't serve cheese with everything.

I've started a thread here for all those out in March. We'll be there from the 22nd.
There;s a trip report here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=1127885 and a SNow report here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55366
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saalbach - no competition.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Smokin Joe, have you been to Serre Chevalier?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, it's Austria Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Charlatanefc wrote:
Helen Beaumont, it's Austria Wink

..........exactly ! Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I have been hearing that Serre is a bit of a hidden gem.

Well it might be a gem but it's certainly not hidden. Especially on snowheads. wink They both sound like good destinations, though I have to say that "genuine English pubs" (?) would never be a selling point to me in a ski resort.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Both excellent resorts having skied in both quite a lot. In terms of skiing not much in it to be honest.

Saalbach would edge it for me on prices. If price were not an issue I would possibly opt for Serre Che as it is a more interesting mixture to be honest. Snowwise, both as good as each other in terms of amounts and surety.

In Saalbach you will get a more authentic feel in terms of huts, etc. And a genuine welcome, Gemütlichkeit cannot be translated it has to be experienced. I dislike the villages in S-H, but like Leogang tremendously.
In Serre Che, I prefer Chantmerle and Le Monétier les Bains to Villeneuve. Find the latter just too touristy and soulless for some reason.

Used to be able to pick up huge Tarte Flambeé down in Briançon at Brasserie d'Alsacienne at Hôtel Parc (I think that was what it was called) along with good beer and cider "à la pression" for peanuts - must have been cheap as that was where most of us teaching for UK companies would end up!

Sue Toofy Grin
snow report
I have been to both. Saalbach is much much better.
Saalbach - modern lifts, amazing - out of this word - apres. Beautiful village and views, good runs, huts - overall a much better experience.
And I did Saalbach after Serre the same winter.
I did LIKE Serre as well but is much quieter, with old lifts and way too many cat tracks. Terrain is very good, specially the last village on the right of the piste map. I liked the terrain much more than neighbour Les Deux Alpes for example.

I would come back to both. However when I went to Saalbach the place just blown me away.
snow conditions
I forgot to add - after Saalbach trip - IT'S AUSTRIA ! Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks for the info, will make up mind tomorow
snow report
Tom W, I'm not sure how long it is since you went to Serre Che, but many of the older lifts have been replaced in the last few years. Some of the steeper and longer drags have been replaced with 6 man chairs, and others are earmarked for replacement soon. The cable car is also being upgraded next season, and a new lift going in from Villeneuve side to the Cucumelle. The only unavoidable cat-tracks I can think of are the ones linking Villeneuve from the top of the La Balme chair to Monetier (the village on the far right of the piste map, the run in the other direction being the Cucumelle, and most definitley not a cat-track. I can't think of many others, so if they exist I don't need to use them. Plenty of atmosphere in the old villages, but you do need to know where to look, and that is where SnowHeads comes in handy, although nightlife cannot be described as wild, there are plenty of bars with live music, and some great restaurants. I can't compare it to Saalbach though, as I have never been.
ski holidays
Saalbach is ace. Big area, very fast/efficient lifts (the old Bernkogel one is getting replaced for next season too), lots of good runs, lovely village that retains it's Austrian charm, awesome apres in true Austrian style. Some great mountain restaurants too. I wouldn't hurry to go to Bobby's Bar though.
snow report
clarky999, Bobby's bar is somewhere to watch sky sports if there is a big match on and thats it. Probably summat to do with the owner being a kopite Wink
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
the old Bernkogel one is getting replaced for next season too

Is that the long double drag that you have to do to get back to Hinterglemm (well, the side that brings you down to the "right" bit)? Shouldn't have been a problem but every time I used it (ie most days) it stopped at least once, and more often more than once. Flipping difficult to stay on when it happens when you're on the downhill bit rolling eyes .
latest report
No, it's the old three man from the bottom of the hill in Saalbach (top of the main street, other end of town than Schattberg) to the top of Bernkogel. It takes roughly twelve mins atm, which ain't fun in a blizzard, but worth it if you can't do proper offpiste for whatever reason as the sides are often left ungroomed. Usually fairly quiet too. They're building a gondola there for next year, which should be much faster.
latest report
clarky999, oh yes, I know the one you mean. (Well, I do now, having looked at the piste map Laughing .)
snow report
maggi wrote:
clarky999, oh yes, I know the one you mean. (Well, I do now, having looked at the piste map Laughing .)

Shocked so you can read a piste map after all Toofy Grin
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, cheeky git! NehNeh

It's Salbach/Hinterglemm not the 3 flipping Valleys. You can do it all in a day - Leogang included. By the end of the week even I knew where I was, even if I didn't know the name of anything.
ski holidays
maggi, wink but like you say (Leogang side excepted) virtually all runs lead back to the valley floor so it's quite hard to end up 'in the wrong valley' 3Valleys style.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, I know! That's why I liked it - well, one of the reasons. The Après was rather good too Madeye-Smiley .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, Very interested to hear about the new Bernkogel gondola. Do you know if it will go all the way to the top, eliminating the need to take that long T-bar from the half=way point. Also do you know if they're planning to upgrade the 2 man chair up the Reiterkogel, which is the next lift you have to take after the Bernkogel? Could cause a hell of a bottle-neck if not! Anyway, it's certainly an obvious weak link cured - that Bernkogel lift was out of kilter with all the other fast lifts they've installed, and the top half of the Bernkogel has screamed out for something to replace the long T-bar for ages.
latest report
clarky999, By the way, surprised you don't like Bobby's. Now it's been refurbished we like it down there, and it does seem very popular. However the big revelation at Christmas was the Kuhstall which has had an extensive facelift and is now a great place to go. It needed it, especially after the Arena was closed and turned into the Tex-mex, leaving only Castellos for dancing.
mightysaints, Saalbach and Serre Che rank similarly in my opinion for skiing - very similar resorts in terms of extent and type of skiing and scenery. The main difference, apart from the obvious cultural/atmospheric differences between Austria and France, is the apres. Saalbach is renowned as a party resort - a bit like New Year's Eve from 4pm every day. Serre Che is much, much quieter and typically French - recommend a night out in the old town of Briancon. Monetier is a bit higher and nicer than Chantemerle and Villeneuve. I can send you comprehensive info about Saalbach if you PM me your e-mail.
Have a great time, whichever you decide on!
latest report
Quote:

leaving only Castellos for dancing - sorry, stupid comment - I forgot about the Taverne, and also I was thinking about later on at night, rather than earlier when people dance everywhere!
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours wrote:
clarky999, Very interested to hear about the new Bernkogel gondola. Do you know if it will go all the way to the top, eliminating the need to take that long T-bar from the half=way point. Also do you know if they're planning to upgrade the 2 man chair up the Reiterkogel, which is the next lift you have to take after the Bernkogel? Could cause a hell of a bottle-neck if not! Anyway, it's certainly an obvious weak link cured - that Bernkogel lift was out of kilter with all the other fast lifts they've installed, and the top half of the Bernkogel has screamed out for something to replace the long T-bar for ages.

Sorry dude I really can't remember. We had a big meeting with the lift company to 'educate' us about the infrastructure and stuff. It was fairly tedious and most of the details have slipped my mind.

In some ways if the gondola went all the way to the top it could cause problems, as the run along the drag is a great progression for beginners from Kohlmais, but then the rest of Bernkogel isn't so suitable. Maybe replacing the drag with a chair could be good, I can't remember what they said they were planning though. Similar story with the new chair replacing the Thurm drag. Chair makes the first lessons much better/easier, but then the Bernkogel drag is now the first experince of drags, which sometimes gets rather messy lol.

Quote:
By the way, surprised you don't like Bobby's

It's OK, just a bit too English for me. For apres I much prefer the atmosphere in Bauers, and later on I'd rather be served by the lovely Scandi girls in Otzi or Underground.
ski holidays
Saalbach is a really nice skiing resort!!! Apres Ski at Bauers and late at night Castellos!!!!
latest report
Quote:

if the gondola went all the way to the top it could cause problems

There would have to be a half-way station.
snow report
Saalbach....don't even consider Serre Chevalier. Awful place, awful.....stay away, that'd be my advice....
snow report
Saalbach if you're keen on a total holiday experience (ie, the boozing and vibe!) but Serre Che by a mile for the skiing. If you can, stay in Monetier Les Bains-a really nice place with a big powerful lift to take you out and some decent long slopes to stretch the legs out. If you are keen on boozing and partying, this may not exactly be the place for you.
snow conditions
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

if the gondola went all the way to the top it could cause problems

There would have to be a half-way station.

That would make sense.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy