Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mens Downhill -LATEST

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

At no time in Canada have I ever wished I was at Glenshee............sadly the converse is not true.

malcolm1, Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, Agreed, after a our first trip there in 2003, and having two weeks of rain and fog we couldnt beleive they were even considering it as a venue Shocked Even after going back later at an earlier time in the season conditions never really lived up to the hype.

Lets just hope things improve there for the Olympians Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I hope things improve as I've been looking forward to the olympics.

I wonder about the whole karma thing for the Canadians though as they have (allegedly) been complete a***holes over other countries pre-games access to the facilities?

The other point that occurs to me is should Vancouver, purely in view of its geographical location, ever been given a winter olympics? It is not difficult to see that getting an olympic games is big business now but surely they need to consider further the reliability of the basic ingredients for what are the the blue riband events?

Is Vancouver the ultimate sporting example of a triumph of big business/big budget, political pressure/spin/persuasion over common sense?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
robboj wrote:
.. It is not difficult to see that getting an olympic games is big business now .....

It sure is.

Quote:
spending by all levels of government, including Crown corporation sponsorships and mega-projects such as the Canada Line, Vancouver Convention Centre and Sea to Sky Highway improvements, came to $6 billion. It could be convincingly argued that infrastructure spending planned before Vancouver won the bid should not be included in Olympic costs, which would slash the total by more than half. Even so, a forecast based on low to medium levels of tourism put the economic impact of the Games at just $2 billion to $2.4 billion between 2008 and 2014-15, and that would suggest a negative return on capital employed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Is Vancouver the ultimate sporting example of a triumph of big business/big budget, political pressure/spin/persuasion over common sense?

Nope, surely that goes to Sotchi 2014? Will be interesting to see how that one pans out eh?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shiva_71, Hmm. I see what you mean.

Quote:
The only disadvantages of the resort are its small size and mild climate (affected by the nearby sea), which means that there is a risk to find too little snow at the lower runs even in January. Always check the level of snowfall at the resort before going there

Note that Krasnaya Polyana will be doing the mountain stiff for the Sochi winter Olympics.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The men's Downhill is showing as being run tomorrow (Mon 15th) on the FIS website.
It is not possible to just change the race to another slope that might be long enough. Firstly the course has to be FIS homologated and the correct length, vertical drop etc.
It takes at least a week to prepare a course for Downhill. All the netting, padding preparing the snow, jumps etc. It's not just a question of skiing down a public red run! Plus they have got to have at least 1 practice run on it for safety reasons.
The only reason it has been posponed for a few days is that it is not safe to run it at the moment. It happens all through the season in all sorts of ski racing from FIS level to World Cup level. All over the world too! The mountains happen to be a very unpredictable place for weather.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking at Snow Forecast, I would think Thursday morning would be the first possible slot for the race.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
P10DW wrote:
Looking at Snow Forecast, I would think Thursday morning would be the first possible slot for the race.

I think the people organising the events are far more likely to have a clue about the local weather conditions than snow-forecast (who are very rarely particularly accurate IME).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont wrote:
...as the Sea to Sky was closed for several hours due to a fatal accident...

When I was in Whistler, the instructors all referred to the road to/from Vancouver as the "Ski and Die Highway". Hopefully the upgrades for the OG will have made it safer.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The downhill has been rescheduled for 10:30 Canadian time today, not sure but I think that's 18:30 UK time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles wrote:
shiva_71, Hmm. I see what you mean.

Quote:
The only disadvantages of the resort are its small size and mild climate (affected by the nearby sea), which means that there is a risk to find too little snow at the lower runs even in January. Always check the level of snowfall at the resort before going there

Note that Krasnaya Polyana will be doing the mountain stiff for the Sochi winter Olympics.

Think they're in Rosa Khutor
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow, good call. I see it's above the Krasnaya Polyana valley - so maybe it'll be reasonably snow sure.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andyph wrote:
I have only been to Whistler once, on the 15th and 16th May a couple of years ago. It was brilliant.

I have only been to Glenshee once, in February sometime. It was the best weekend of the whole season apparently. It was poor.

I rest my case.

Lol what shite. I went to Tahoe, got pissed on first day like I have never been before, it must be shite! rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Downhill BBC2 programme starts 18.00, race at 18.30
snow conditions
Winterhighland, having not been there I can make no comment regarding Tahoe, however my other observations stand.

snowball, woo-hoo!
latest report
snowball, thanks for the heads-up.
snow report
Damn. Maybe I'll just go to the second half of the concert I have a ticket for...
snow report
Hurtle, nope. Put the skiing on record, and watch it immediately you get home, before you know the results.
latest report
achilles, OK Toofy Grin
latest report
So when is the race then?
snow report
Saturday would have been great; 7.30 start, kids in bed, I had remote in one hand, vino in the other; plate of curry on my lap.

Tonight, 6.30 start, kids up and crawling everywhere, grandparents over for granddad's birthday, no curry.

Will have to record and watch on catch up when the dust has settled.

Assuming it is going ahead.
ski holidays
mjr, local time 10.30am, see snowball post, programme starts at 6pm for 6.30pm start
ski holidays
achilles, and of course, that way, I can do what I normally do, which is to park some time between 7.00 and 7.15 and finish listening to The Archers before I go into the concert hall. (Sorry, heinously off topic.)
snow report
Title of this thread needs changing. Everytime I see it I think it's an announcement.

So, who is your money on? I'm going for Miller (quelle surprise). Start number 8 and I reckon the winner will come from the early starters. Or, the surprise package / outside bet... one of the Slovenians.
snow report
I'll go for Manuel Osborne Paradis because it would be daft to write him off. I think he will do it for the 'home' crowd. Looking forward to seeing Miller run.
latest report
Cuche Or Janke probably as the course does suit them. Would love to see Bode do it but dont think he will Sad
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, my guess is Couche.

Hurtle, rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Title of this thread needs changing

Well, speed kills, whoever you are I thank you. Just missing an apostrophe.
latest report
Bode Swiller, that wasn't my error, but that of the OP, I simply altered cancelled to latest.
snow report
Aksel Lund Svindal Toofy Grin
latest report
I'd like Cuche to win it - for me he's a true downhiller. Outside punt for the podium is Natko Zrncic-Dim, he's trained and raced well since the New Year.
ski holidays
andyph, your telling me you can judge a snowsport area by the weather on a single day? Then maybe I should judge you on one post....
ski holidays
Start List

Bode at 8 is really lucky with his start number - the top skiers are numbers 8-22. Cuche at 22 is a bit unlucky. The next best 15 are split between 1-7 and 23-30. If anyone not in the top 15 does unusually well they are likely to be in the 1-7 block.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, much obliged and yes, sloppy punctuation due to a German keyboard!

Would love Miller to bag it with one of his demented, kamikaze runs...one things for sure, I dont think the Austrians will be celebrating much tonight!
ski holidays
Think Miller willl be lucky to hang on to the lead -p Svindal within 0.04s. Correction 0.02 in the lead. No gold for Bode Sad
latest report
Winterhighland, pay attention:
Quote:
I have only been to Glenshee once, in February sometime. It was the best weekend of the whole season apparently.

Minor quibble, it was a weekend not one day, and this one weekend was so good it saved the lift company for (only) one more season. However, I take your point that you can't see the best of even a small area in a weekend without local knowledge, so let's not fall out over it, eh? wink
ski holidays
Can't argue with that result Smile
ski holidays
Trying to get to see it on the BBC website but no joy. must be well overloaded Sad
snow conditions
Close, eh? I wonder what happened to Cuche - he seemed to be going so well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy