Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long should your kit last?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok a question for people. How long does your kit last and how much does it cost ?
Do you replace it because it has reached the end of its useful life, it is terminally uncool or there is something better now available?

For Me:
Skis approx: 19 weeks cost ?£350 Salomons X scream now getting to the end of their useful life after many rocks in Portes de Soleil have had to bash the edges back in.

Boots I suffer with these: Lange boots 32 weeks last lot only did me about 5 weeks before blisters persuaded me to change. £180

Poles : No idea

Jacket: 13 weeks North Face should go a while yet last one was badly holed by trees. £100

Salopettes: SOS 24 weeks no longer waterproof will change when I see some in a sale £100

Sunglasses: I always sit on them or lose them; Current pair £6 Aldi’s lasted 2 weeks

Goggles :
Scott £30 ?40 weeks

Helmet Back Protector:
Your joking I’m a skinflint and a non believer

Avalanche protection: Don’t possess it though I am a believer but Arva etc is more useful if others are carrying it and when I am off piste it is usually with a guide whom you rent it from.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
T Bar,

From your list one can deduce that either your socks can last for ever or they are incredibly smelly. Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can only do this on clothes...

1. LaFuma Goretex jacket - fantastic - had it 5/6 years, use it for skiing and wet weather UK (no intention of getting rid of it - but might supplement it with an additional one next year

2. Quiksilver trousers - 5 years - have had to replace but not because of condition but the size of my belly!

3. Sunglasses - cheap Bolle's replaced after 5 years - bought cheap ones because i thought i'd trash them - ended up lasting 5 years so I could have bought some Oakleys (although i bet if i had bought oakleys i'd probably have stood on them in 2 weeks!)

4. Hats - need a new one every year to feel like somethings different!!!!

Somehow manage to buy something new every year though - i.e. better base layers / socks / new fleeces / additional gloves etc...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought my day-glo one piece 18 years ago and it still attracts envious looks when I wear it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee,
Quote:

From your list one can deduce that either your socks can last for ever or they are incredibly smelly.

Good question I actually have 5 identical pairs, lost one so I can wear a new pair each day of the same thickness. I can't remember when I got them getting a bit thin though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skis: one knackered pair of Völkls since Nov, only 30 or 40 days use very, very poor. One pair Zags from May 2004, only 20 days use still in excellent condition, expectation another two seasons. One pair Atomic Beta Ride 11.22's about 100 days no significant damage so far. Brand new Stöckli Laser SC's, expectation another two seasons (or 100 days) which is the guarantee on them anyway.

Boots: Atomic Race 10:50's, about 120 days , a bit tired but basically fine. New Salomon Xwave 8's since Nov, about 60 days maybe, seeming in good nick so far, another season maybe.

Poles : Scott fuel's, three seasons, couple of hundred days, still perfect.

Jacket: ah.. my luxury.. new Kjus jacket, 60 odd days so far and just perfect. my previous billabong about 200 days I guess.

Salopettes: Kjus again, will last most of next season I guess.

Goggles: knackered pair of o-frames but still basically functional, new pair of carera race goggles, scratched smiths, three seasons for a pair I guess.

Helmet Back Protector: back protector should last years without impact, the helmet a couple of seasons.

Avalanche protection: Ortovox F1's, 7 years old I think along with shovels etc, still fine but I've got a DTS tracker as an upgrade.

Rucksack: about 8 years so far I think
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't say in days but I expect skis to last 3-4 years (30 weeks per year ski-ing), poles almost forever (had mine knicked this winter after about 10 years). Jacket 3 seasons (HD Extreme is getting "woolie" on right arm now. Trousers about 4 seasons. Socks until they go through!! Boots about 4 years if they're the right fit - a couple of weeks if they hurt!!

However, I am light on my equipment compared to most men.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:
However, I am light on my equipment compared to most men.

I think we're going through skis faster nowadays because we're skiing them shorter as well, higher load on the surface area etc. I wonder if modern construction's all it could be as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does anyone actually bother replacing a helmet after it's taken a solid blow, as recommended? In my case last week it suffered real damage so I'm getting it changed, no choice. But otherwise?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I dunno what I'm doing wrong: I've only skied for a total of 2 weeks and I've already destroyed one thermal top, one pair of gloves, one pair of goggles and (bizzarely) a hat...

As for gear, how long it lasts is a touch academic considering my dirth of experience but here goes:

Jacket: Cheap D2B lasted one week due to low breathability so now have a Goretex Sprayway Snowstorm shell I found at half price.

Pants: £50 Trespass jobs lasted one week as above plus they tended to fall down. I now own a lovely pair of ACG pants.

Boots: Salomon Performa 7's from last season. They don't give me blisters so they'll be around until they go the way of the goggles, thermal top, gloves and hat (about another week then...)

Skis: 2004 Rossignol Open 500. Love 'em to bits as they're so easy to ski on. Will keep them until I discover powder I suppose...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, the only time this has ever happened to me was when an Austin 1100 pulled out in front of my Norton Atlas. I went over the car and landed on my head (explains a lot Laughing ). Although I was a penniless student I did replace that helmet.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG,

As a motorcyclist I was told once a helmet has suffered an impact blow or even a drop the crash-worthiness of shell structure cannot be guaranteed in the next crash and hence should be replaced.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sharkymark, that's some going mate.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skis - I rarely manage to tire out a pair before there is either a change in style or a better ski takes my fancy. I have skis with 60-70 days skiing and lots of lfe.

Boots - I ski on Reichli Flexon Comps and until this year, they had a stiff foam inner. Last year, after about 70 days skiing, the boots were very sloppy and I couldn't get the buckles done in a way that was confortable and tight. Found some new identiacl shells and on placing my inner in those, couldn't believe the difference. The old shells had stretched and deformed far more than I would have believed.

This year I had the oposite problem, the boots were far too tight!! This turned out to be due to significant changes to my foot shape over the year, with them mainly getting significantly broader. In the last year I have moved away from formal lace up shoes to more casual deck shoes etc. So my shells had to be stretched and my foamed inners, which were in very good condition, had to be binned. Gone for something softer, namely Zip Fit oil and cork inners and am very pleased.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all

this is a bit embarising , although the wee ones have stopped me skiing for 7 years we are going to Scotland over Easter Laughing . So I need to change some of my gear as i'm using : Embarassed

Salomon SX81 = 18 years or 70 days
Nevica jacket ( not to bright ) = 15 years or 50 days
Berghaus racing pants ( bought when I was 15 ) = 20 years or 80 days
Haven't got a clue where my goggles or glasses are
Dynastar Coupe de monde skis with Solomon 747 equip bindings ( should I try carvers )

I'm loathed to hire carvers and boots when I have my own no matter how old they are
snow conditions
vtoakley,
Keep your boots if they still fit and are comfortable, but at least try carvers, if only for a day. I guarantee you will see a huge difference.

Just my opinion of course. wink
ski holidays
I must abuse equipment!

Salomon Xscream 9 - 100 days skiing, had to epoxy the pro-links back on twice ! (Anyone know if these actually do anything?)

Rottefella Cobra Bindings on Volle Release plates: 1 week skiing and I sheared one of the screws holding the binding to the plate. Discovered they are imperial and so imposible to buy in France! Release plate thread finally failed totaly after about 70 days skiing, and then both rottefella binding fractured in the same place (Just in front of the 'Duck Bill') after about 80 days...

Have put new 7tm bindings on the old skis and am now wondering how long the skis will last! (To any telemarkers: my opinion of the Volle plates is that they are totaly rubbish - The skis are infinitley better with the 7tm bindings due to not having the huge stiff plate under foot)

Scarpa T2 boots still OK after nearly 100 days skiing but the inners bed down badly after just a few weeks - I think the new ones have better inners now.

My clothes last until they fall to pieces wink
ski holidays
telemarkZero, I took my release off too. Skis are Big Easys (old Tuas), bindings are Superloops. Huge improvement w/o release. Less to go wrong too.
snow report
ski, It's not just me that thinks that then! I'd been toying with removing the plates for ages, wish I'd done it earlier, but the binding break forced my hand!
ski holidays
Wow - 3 telemarkers!

Have K2 Superstinx with G3 Targa bindings and Scarpa T2s. Broke the anti ice plate on the heel plate last year but otherwise have not damaged them much (but only bought them last year)

Other stuff - Rossi Vipers bought second hand 2 years ago, Dynafit something boots about 11 years old but still fit well. Loathe to replace either due to recent addiction to telemark

I normally buy clothes that I can wear walking/camping as well as skiing. Managed to buy some very slinky Arc T'eryx salopettes in a sale that I will be reluctant to get covered in mud though. Most lasts about 8 - 10 years, but dont stay waterproof for that long.

Goggles and gloves about 4/5 years before getting lost normally!
ski holidays
telemarkZero,

Do you know if the Voile releasable binding is any better?
(Voile CRB I think it is called)

Would like some releasable bindings but they all seem to have problems.
latest report
Mmm, interesting!

Skis - Blizzard White Shark. Bought 3 years ago in Kitzsteinhorn. Will probably do me for another 2 years (40 days.) Will replace with some decent piste focussed Atomics. My circa 1988 Blizzard Thermo-V20's will probably last another 17 years. Still perfect and still the most flattering to my skiing style.

Boots - Nordica Next 8.0. Great boot from around 2000 I think. Will keep for the rest of this season and probably replace with some Nordica 'The Beast' next year.

Poles - Mixed bag. I've got 5 poles, all Scott, no clue as to which model(s) All 125cm and can mix & match!

Trousers - New Helly Hansen black pants this year. Bargain in EB sale at £75.00.

Jacket - Top line Phenix jacket bought in Obergurgl 4 years ago. Cost €800 and worthn every penny. Its the only really top quality thing I own!

Gloves - Salomon. Blue. Thats it. Oh, and they smell like Raclette.

Glasses - Bloc Spitfires and a new pair of Oakley goggs for this year.

Backpack - Northface. Usually full of chocolate, a flask of drambuie and 2 packs of marlboro reds. About 8 lighters in side pocket.

Right, I'm ready to hit the slopes!
snow conditions
Dave J, I think the Voile CRB is pretty much the same as what I had under by Rottefella bindings. My version was 3 years old so they may have changed the design somewhat now. My main complaint had been the use of imperial size screws which are not totaly compatible with the Rottefella binding (This wouldn't be the case with the full CRB I guess), and the fact they where difficult to replace. The other thing that I worked out is that the riser plate that is part of the release plate is very long, to accommodate all the realease gubbins, and it is also very stiff, and attactched to the ski with 8 screws! With my new bindings on the same ski the flex underfoot is so much smoother, and the ski just skis much better. My partner has the same bindings and flexing her skis shows a real noticable flat spot (she is very light and only 5ft so with short skis with this long plate it's very noticable).

I haven't tried that many bindings for telemark but I realy like these 7tm releasables so far! They have quite a different feel to the Rottefella cable bindings - very 'light' low resistance as you lift your heel, only getting stronger as your heel is quite high. Some people may not like this Puzzled
They also have a proper DIN setting unlike the Voiles (Is this still the case). I never did work out the proper setting for the Voiles and had then cranked up to 4 out of 5 for most of the time after many pre-releases....

Sorry this is probably very boring for none Telemarkers (And probably for Telemarkers!)
ski holidays
Ignoring skis and boots, all clothing (except ski trousers) is used in Blighty when walking and daily in less clement weather so it's difficult to say how long it would last.
snow report
Skis (Head iC300s) were just about finished when I managed to trash a binding in a crash last week. The bindings are still just about useable but I'm not sure I'd trust them any more.
Got my eye on the new Fischer AMCs....
latest report
Skis: Change them every 2/3 years. As my ability has progressed, so have my skis. Every time I buy a new pair, I swear they will be the last.

Boots: Salomons lasted me about 5 years. Now on Tecnica Icon Alu Comps for the last 2 years, and I think I'll keep them for a bit.

Poles: K2 poles I got with my old K2 skis about 5 years ago. Hardly any paint left on them. Will soon have to buy duct tape, or new poles.

Jacket: Tenson jacket & trousers lasted me for about 5 years, until the start of this season, when I noticed the trousers were falling apart. Bought Arctyrex shell jacket & trousers in the US for total of about £350. S&R are selling the jacket on its own for £400. Hope to get 5 years out of them.

Sunglasses: Only use them in the hot tub now Wink forgot to bring any to Montana, so bought a £15 pair at the airport on the way out.

Goggles: Oakley A Frames with Fire Iridium lens (and black iridium spare lens). I guess it would have been around £150 for them back 5 years ago. I won't change them for a long time.

Helmet: Giro 9. Bought in Whistler 3/4 years ago £75. Will only change it if it saves my life.
ski holidays
Snowboard: previous one lasted until it was stolen. My Ride Timeless is now in its fourth season (probably about 50 days) and still going strong. Will easily last another four at this rate unless I get tempted by something else.

Snowboard Bindings: first ones lasted until stolen (as above) but were cheapos and would have been replaced soon anyway. next set lasted 15 days before I sold them to a mate (who still uses them - another 30 days at least and no sign of needing replacing). current set have been used at least 30 days and still going strong (as i would hope!).

Snowboard Boots: first ones lasted about 80 days but then they were getting tired and I finally had to admit that they were actually too big for me. New ones fit properly (why didn't i realise that earlier?) but only 8 days use so far.

Poles: eh?

Jacket: The North Face Mountain Jacket bought in 1994. Has been used climbing and walking in the UK, Europe and New Zealand, climbing in the Alps in summer, 100+ days snowboarding. Still perfectly waterproof and usable but the hem seams are starting to come detached and the action of carrying a snowboard has abraded the seams on the right hip. Very impressed with the build and quality of this jacket. Will get replaced with a new shell Gore-tex next season - probably not a ski or boarding specific one though.

Trousers: Airwalk pants lasted one week (too baggy and the belt loops broke so i used it as an excuse to take them back). Helly Hansen pants have lasted about 60 days. Insulation now a bit compressed, lots of fraying on the ankle hem, now get soggy on wet days. Will possibly replace next season but could last a bit longer if tight.

Gloves: Burton Tactic gauntlet gloves. 50 days use. fraying in palm at base of thumb due to carrying snowboard. looking for a new pair as good as these ones. haven't found them yet.

Helmet: Red Remix - 25 days. scratches but no knocks - will replace if it really gets a whack.

Base layers etc: used elsewhere and doing other things. Still use two Karrimor base layers made from Polartec 100 that were bought in 1990 (and have been used extensively since).

Socks: I like new-ish socks and so will replace when they start feeling worn or when the loops are no longer cushioning. Gotta look after your feet. Having said that, some simple Bridgedale knee-highs with uniform thickness rather than being designed for snowsports must be about 15 years old and still going after masses of use. Thor-lo snowboard socks are my favourite ones at the moment.

Goggles: on 3rd pair in 5 years - for stylistic reasons.
snow conditions
I tend to go for a bit of a mix - some things you get right first time & hang on to, others... well, there's been some buying mistakes along the way, lets put it that way.

Skis - Don't own any. I don't spend enough time on the slopes to justify it (sadly).

Boots - Rossignol Bandits - new last season. They've seen 2 weeks of skiing so far - another week due this Sunday. They were my first pair of boots as I've never had the money for my own boots before & never had a problem with rental boots (am I the only one???)

Jacket - Goretex Eider. The 3rd ski jacket I've owned. The first one was an awful 80s nylon affair. My last one lasted for 3 or 4 seasons, but I washed it & it went a horrible grey/beige colour & I hated it anyway. I decided to treat myself on the principle that I needed a goretex jacket.... Yeah, right...

Trousers - Bought in 1984.... Yes, a proper pair of shiny nylon salopettes, the ones that come up to your armpits. They still fit (I was 14 when I bought them), haven't fallen apart & I love them. I will only replace them when they disintegrate or someone starts making proper salopettes again! They are the warmest, most comfortable article of clothing I own, also the most unfashionable...

Sunglasses - Badly scratched pair of 3 year old Ryder glasses. Have been looking at buying a new pair as the scratch marks are getting really irritating, but can't find any I like.

Gloves - Bought in 1984 - Butter soft grey leather mittens that cost £20 in 1984 and nearly gave my mother a heart attack when she bought them for me. The are wearing a bit from carrying skis, but except for that they are fine - I have never had cold wet hands in all my years of skiing!

Lesson to be learned - get your gear right & you could be using the stuff for a VERY long time!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
benjj, telemarkZero, Do you really need a release ? (are we hi-jacking this thread)...with my 'Loop cables set not to tight, I've come out of the cable whenever I've neede to.....less to go wrong too.

As far as this thread goes..Boots (Alpine) - last pair of Langes lasted 10 years (6 weeks on snow/year and 8 hours or so per week on plastic), Boots (Tele)...6 years old, need to go !

Skis, realistically, when I want to change them - which is (mostly) when I feel the need of some thing more appropriate. Having said that, don't have many unused skis in my store !

Clothing, Paramo jacket, 10+ years old, looks almost like new, and still waterproof. Trousers similar, socks, Thorlo or Smartwool, last 'til they have holes in longest was 15 years........
latest report
My kit lasts as long as it stays shiny and new looking. As soon as a new graphic or colour scheme is brought out, I replace it. For ski wear, I find that Prada sport, or Dunhill are the best brands, needing year on year replacement. To be honest, all you proles on the slopes look a right mess.
ski holidays
Good grief Kramer - you would have to shield your eyes if you ever saw me on the slopes!!
ski holidays
ski wrote:
benjj, telemarkZero, Do you really need a release ? (are we hi-jacking this thread)...with my 'Loop cables set not to tight, I've come out of the cable whenever I've neede to.....less to go wrong too.

Not sure whether its needed or not - more for peace of mind perhaps?
I've come out of my binding when it mattered so maybe not.
Sorry for the thread drift everyone! wink
snow conditions
Kramer,
Have you tried Bognor (not the place, the clothing company)- also suitably overpriced and ridiculous looking. Laughing
ski holidays
Dave J, how dare you, I don't look ridiculous, everyone knows that mulitcolour one-pieces are the latest things in Milan. Very Happy
ski holidays

Umm, tasteful! And only $800.

(OK, so it is a ladies jacket)
snow report
ski wrote:
Do you really need a release ? (are we hi-jacking this thread)...with my 'Loop cables set not to tight, I've come out of the cable whenever I've neede to.....less to go wrong too

I'm in 2 minds about that myself - have had lots of falls and most of the times the releasables haven't, and I've been fine. Having said that a Telemarking friend hurt his knee last week in a fall - never uses releasables.... I got releasables because there wasn't much difference in price, and for peace of mind as Dave J mentioned. I agree about the less to go wrong bit....

Back to the thread.... Very Happy
snow report
Eider XCR Climbing jacket
Eider XCR Full Zip pants

Eider GT Gauntlets
Hestra Gauntlers

Microfleece Base' ( Various )

Mountain Hardware 200 Fleece
Berghaus Windstopper Fleece
Patagonia Hat....THE best Hat...!!

Dakine Heli Pack
with shovel, probe and M2 bleep

Had all this for a few years at least and it doesn't need replacing.

I will probably get bored with it before I have to replace any of it....hopefully

Boots X wave 9.0's
and Salomon graphite poles.
ski holidays
Might have guessed I'd find all the other Telemarkers here, .....this is the 'KIT' thread afterall snowHead

benjj, telemarkZero
re releaseable TM bindings.... I heard a horror story the other day from someone that claimed that skiing parallel in TM bindings is just asking for knee trouble. Is that true ?

I ski Alpine at least half the time in my Chilli bindings and it dosen't seem to load my knees unduly (not strong enough to ski Tele all day).

Anyone know the risks about skiing parallel on non releaseable Tele bindings Puzzled
ski holidays
Skis - Hired
Boots - Salomon Evolution 6s about 8yrs but verycomfy
Jacket - Purpley blue Berghaus walking jacket, goretex but bought from ARCO on the company workwear account. Does the job fine about £120 in the sale
Trousers- Tog 24 sallys with that material that stops bullets Shocked lasted superbly but now 4 inches (min) from fastening at the waist, Not a pretty site if the jacket is removed.
Gloves - Red ones that were £8 from La Plagne open air market in 1998, will need replacing this yr as one has gone at the thumb through carrying kids skis
Sunnies - Cebe with nice blue lenses £35.00 Courchevel 1650 2004
Goggles - None as kids trashed them skedging in the uk couple of weeks ago
Light fleece - Red, Jack Wolfskin (quite nice for me)
Long johns - Silk Marks and Spencer, badlly laddered due to pulling over knee brace
Hat - anything lying on room floor
always carry a turtle fur (excellent)
All in all, a right scruffy mess, but would suggest looks slightly better thanKramer, coz I think he's taking the gypsy's
snow report
Peter S, 4 Telemarkers! - I wonder what percentage of snowheads that is snowHead
I can't think of any reason that skiing parallel in tele bindings (releasable or not) could damage your knees - any more than skiing parallel on Alpine skis anyway! But I'm happy to take advice! Did they give any reasons for the claim?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy