Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using a garmin car GPS to measure max speed whilst skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm not sure about the Garmin but I tried one of those free iPhone apps last year and it clock me doing 140mph. Now I don't know about you but I would not go that fast if I fell over a cliff !!. I can however suggest the GTrek II it is accurate and takes into account the slope of the hill which incidentally does not add as much to your speed as you might imaging. A very steep piste is rarely steeper than 24%.

If you ski in a weaving pattern down a slope as opposed to a knees bent straight down method approach then slow logging systems only give you the speed based on the straight line down over the distance travelled which can be much less that your actual speed. To get this data correct you need to log data faster than once per second which iPhone apps can’t do and I don’t think the Garmin will do either.

John Bird
www.gtrek.co.uk
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The problem with these methods is that mobile devices are USELESS at measuring altitude. Therefore can't take into account gradient, therefore can't calculate speed correctly. The company I work for is primarily a surveying company (I'm not a surveyor) and I tested out various iPhone apps and apps on my old Nokia 5800, vs our lowest end GPS kit.

Our GPS kit is accurate to within 20mm on altitude. In a flat open area, this kit was giving readings of 26m above sea level. Not one app on a phone could get near this, the best reading I got was 70m....

On the horizontal accuracy was around 5m, but when calculating speed on a hill, gradient and altitude is pretty important
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

given that we skied down a steepish red run, angle of which, I guess 30-40 degrees

I love the understatement "steepish". The steepest black runs are just over 30 degrees so I assume that this "steepish" run you are discussing is in fact the flying K at Arc 2000. If the run has been cleared of ordninary punters then IIRC you get a bronze medal for over 100 km/h and so on. I think over 200km/h has been recorded.

John
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy