Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Times guide to off piste skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
not sure if this has been posted yet

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/winter_sports/article7004428.ece?&EMC-Bltn=GDIGS2F

edit - added again because it is a pain to click on links when on a Blackberry for example and also I do not like mods editing my posts without actuallyn having the decency to ask

We asked three Pure Powder ski guides to offer their tips on how to prepare for off-piste skiing, the kit you'll need when venturing off-piste and perfecting the powder skiing technique. Here's what they said:

Pre-skiing exercises to do at home/in the gym to get into shape
"I tend to prefer activity based exercises that are fun to do and allow you to work on the same muscle groups needed for skiing – the best ones are roller-blading and mountain biking. Both of these work your bottom and thighs and are also good for position, balance and control. Combine this with some static muscle toning and you will be there."

The skiing practice you'll need before heading off piste
"The thing to remember when you are trying to ski off-piste is that fundamentally your technique shouldn’t change when you ski powder. Ultimately, you should be focused on being centred over the middle of your skis. Ensuring that you have the right ski position will help you ski powder snow perfectly, and stop you from the most common problem which is leaning back in the deep snow.

When skiing on the piste, practice staying balanced by skiing lots of variety; a burst of quick short turns, a few bumps – anything that throws you a little off kilter and makes you work on your balance. But the real secret to learning how to ski the off-piste is to get out there and do it!"

Stefan Palm, UIAGM Mountain Guide, based in La Grave. Stefan is Swedish and skis all around the world including India, Japan, and heli-skiing in Chile and Sweden. Stefan runs Pure Powder’s Steep Skiing programme in La Grave

Powder Skiing Technique

"Fresh snow has fallen, it’s a powder day at your ski area, and you venture out keen to experiment with the fluffy white stuff. To make sure that your excitement transforms itself into those harmonious powder turns you had in mind, here are some top tips to think about:

1. Rhythm is the heartbeat of powder skiing. Rhythmic up-and-down motions are the key to skiing powder. Begin with the ankles, knees and hips comfortably compact. Then extend upward, gradually flexing and extending the ankles, knees and hips, but stopping before the body is fully erect.
Create a consistent up-and-down rhythm while moving only within this range, always keeping your hands forward. If you stand up too tall your body will hang back whilst your skis accelerate forward – causing the infamous backward lean and resultant burning thigh muscles. Top tips: the more equal both skis are weighted, the easier it is to maintain balance and to link turns together harmoniously; the first turn is the most important turn, as it helps set your rhythm right; concentrating on proper pole plants will help you to maintain you rhythm and link your turns together.

2. Timing is everything: patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. When skiing in the powder you need to exaggerate your movements, ski with longer turning movements and feel the sensation of skiing in slow motion. Patience and persistence are crucial factors when turning in deep snow. You need to push your feet gradually and continually against the snow in order to complete each turn. If you give up on your turning movement too soon, your skis will accelerate and run away from underneath you, resulting in an incomplete turn, the dreaded backward lean, and loss of control.
Top tips: to make nice round turns in the powder, count slowly to yourself “One, two, turn.”; be patient when beginning the turn and assertive when completing it. Resist the urge to force your turns to happen too soon, as this causes you to over-rotate.

3. Remember - speed is your friend. Just as an airplane is able to lift off at a certain speed and a speedboat rides on top of the water, skis float up and out of the soft mass of snow when propelled by proper speed. Powder snow produces resistance against our skis, boots and lower legs, making balancing and turning a great challenge for the novice powder skier. The solution is reaching a proper skiing speed, which reduces resistance between skis and the soft mass of the snow. This “up-floating” speed promotes turning and balance (equal weighting over both skis) and allows you to get a rhythm going. Top tip: until the appropriate speed is established with confidence, all effort and exercise is hard work and physically exhausting – don’t despair, have the confidence to get your speed up; think about skiing with a guide or instructor for a couple of hours to help build your confidence up and pull you out of your comfort zone.

Roko Koell is a CMH guide and founded CMH’s Powder Introduction programme. Roko is a fully qualified U.I.A.G.M Mountain and Ski Guide, Level 4 Ski Instructor and Ski Racing Coach.

In terms of practicing for the powder it’s really important that you have the basic stem christie turn nailed. For more advanced skiers, practicing skiing on one ski is a great technique for improving balance and making sure that can ski on your inside edge – which is important for powder skiing. It's great training as you have to have your balance and technique perfect to turn on one ski. Having the right safety kit (transceiver, shovel, probe and ABS pack) and importantly, knowing how to use it – is essential. If you go for touring skis and skins then it opens up the off-piste options for you no end. Just 30 minutes of walking can get you to those virgin powder slopes.

Johnny Muller, AIGM guide based out of Klosters

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 19-02-10 9:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rayscoops, I've trimmed the quote rather than repeating the entire Times article here
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From the article: "Then extend upward, gradually flexing and extending the ankles, knees and hips, but stopping before the body is fully erect" I fully agree, being fully erect in deep powder can slow you down... Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good article with some good pointers.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Almost everything in there I've been told at one time or another. How come I'm still so useless at it? Confused Embarassed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, the best bit of (technique) advice is to go out there and do it as much as you can
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"Rhythm is the heartbeat of powder skiing. Rhythmic up-and-down motions are the key to skiing powder."

Really? I thought these days the key was preposterously fat skis.

"In terms of practicing for the powder it’s really important that you have the basic stem christie turn nailed. "

WTF? was this written in 1970?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
"Rhythm is the heartbeat of powder skiing. Rhythmic up-and-down motions are the key to skiing powder."

Really? I thought these days the key was preposterously fat skis.

it is, probably with rocker and reverse side cut

Quote:

"In terms of practicing for the powder it’s really important that you have the basic stem christie turn nailed. "

WTF? was this written in 1970?

They are guides, ask a ski instructor if you want ski lessons. I think two footed carving is the technique to nail.... oh and the side slip.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It helps if you have a fat bum, then you just wiggle it.
If said back bottom is too big or you get a wobble on, these constitute un-subtle movements which is not what you want.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy