Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lunchtime skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
With the weekend still two and a half days away I thought I'd do some skiing this lunchtime.

The steepest snow holding lines near to my office seem to be above Askrigg, including a very steep cliff with large overhanging cornice.

Managed to fit 4 runs which I've named Newbiggin face direct, Newbiggin face variant, Newbiggin field wall south and Newbiggin Pasture west. I wonder whether any of these are first decents ?

The slopes were uncrowded but I was slightly dissapointed to see some other ski tracks across the moor.

I've skiied in my lunch hour before now but this was the first time in my shirt and tie !

Incidentally, as the Countyride and Right of Way Act is implemneted across England and Wales, skiers are set to receive new rights of access, alongside walkers and climbers. For the first time we will have the legal right to ski on private land identified on the Access Maps. This will include all land above 2000'. I presume these access rights will also include sledging.

The situation regarding use of portable ski tows is less clear. Their use would appear to fall outside the legislation since they are clearly not a 'vehicle' and are not therefore specifically banned Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good Man!

Obviously vying with The Ambasador to be the best dressed man on the slopes snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is that the Durham Newbiggin or the North Yorks one? Reckon the snow will last till the weekend?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Geilo, the Norwegian skiing resort is renounced for having a large hotel as a conference venue. The conferences are deliberately scheduled to have a long lunch break, something like 3 hours, for attendees to have a work out on the skiing slopes next to it. That was how my brother got hooked.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Askrigg and Newbiggin Shocked I had to check Multimap before I believed they were real (will.resist.making.silly.comments .....about a piste down Askrigg's Bottom. Sorry. No self control, me)

Good on ya tho - definately is the "best use of a lunchtime" that I've heard of this season.

I'm all set to take advantage of my rights of way down here in Hampshire. Am now just awaiting snow [whistles a waiting tune. Whistles some more. Twiddles thumbs. Gives up in disgust]. Any room up there in the snow for one more? I'll bring my own porta-tow?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Manda wrote:
about a piste down Askrigg's Bottom. Sorry. No self control, me)

Wouldn't want to wipe out there, huh?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tough Crowd,

Yes. The tow at Yad Moss has run most days this week and with calm, dry cool conditions, snow loss has been mainly cosmetic above 2000'. Freezing level seems stable at about 2,500', just above the top of YM.

Its going colder on Friday with general snow expected over the weekend from the north and the possibility of more easterlies next week.

Could be a good weekend again, depending on the wind strength.

A colleague of work who lives in the marvellously named hamlet of 'Booze' in Swaledale hasn't been able to get his car out for more than two weeks now. I'm going to help him dig it out tonight befor the next lot arrives. Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy