Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Well, you don't see that very often.

Poster: A snowHead
Today was a first for me. Saw an avalanche airbag deployed at The Snow Centre, Hemel Hempstead. You don't see that very often.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yea i heard the avy risk at Hemel this week has been very high. Better to be safe than sorry imo.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did someone not cut the cornice before dropping?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiing on the roof again? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Liveezy, I think quite a lot of snow was made last night, so you might be right. Can't be to careful, and all that.

I think it was a Snowpulse airbag (which inflates around the head) so that added to my excitement as I've not seen one of those before.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, I wouldn't have thought it was steep enough to slip, and what with there being no wind as it's inside, must have been very scary for all.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski, Puzzled rolling eyes Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Liveezy, Slope gradient needs to be over 30 degrees to avalanche. Snow movement (wind) also contributes to avy risk.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Come on ski, you don't seriously think that it actually did avalanche do you??!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D'oh, tchh, some people eh ? [open]strange little rolling eyes smiley icon thingy whatsit[/close]. Actually though, I really did rescue someone from a tree well at XScape in Braehead once.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has anyone ever tried the 6 abs equipped folks in a tight bubble all pull the handles at once trick?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yoda, Laughing

I've seen one pre-release, but not in a bubble.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski wrote:
Liveezy, Slope gradient needs to be over 30 degrees to avalanche. Snow movement (wind) also contributes to avy risk.

No it doesn;t, it's just far more likely to avalanche at anything over 30 deg Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt,

yeah i agree; the funny snow that's been fallling in quick little falls in Reading eth alst few days are all "ballotini" shaped bits of snow rather than the dendritic (nice fingers radiating out) - the latter will stand up at quite steep angles until they are disturbed, but the little round pellet snow will slip easily at well under 30 degress, and probably closer to 20 to 25 or lower if subject to disturbance

Still - how on earth did this air bag go off anyway ????? And why on earth was someone wearing it in teh first place ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In case anyone hasn't seen what happens here's mine:-

latest report
I'm guessing it was a demonstration, possibly for a TV programme, using the snow of the snowdome for "atmosphere"
snow report
nbt wrote:
I'm guessing it was a demonstration, possibly for a TV programme, using the snow of the snowdome for "atmosphere"

Yes, the BBC were filming on the slope for most of the day. Partly for children's TV I think, although not sure if they were interested in ABS systems.
ski holidays
ski, EPIC EPIC DOUBLE FAIL!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
I'm pretty sure ski was being sarcastic....
ski holidays
anotherproblem, no ... really ? rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
moffatross, the others seem to be unsure
snow conditions
anotherproblem, that's a scary thought right enough. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
They've just shown Hemel on "This Week" on BBC1. It was only the intro, so the full story is coming up.

Dunno whether I can stand the Abbot/Portillo double act waiting for it though!
latest report
Thay're in a Snowdome for "This Week" - just showed a trailer (Not sure why yet) - was it that ? (Haven't been to Hemel, but it didn't look like Cas or CF)
snow report
BBC's Sportsround were filming my son Jake (snowboarder) and Ciaran Gillespie (skiing) for an winter olyimpic special. Some more details at www.jaketerry.co.uk
Thay are also filming for GMTV this morning.
ski holidays
Jerry, having just watched that part of "This Week" I have absolutely no idea why she was at Hemel, or why she has goggles in a fridge.

Maybe the BBC recognises snowHeads as a great debating forum and thought talking about the issues raised in a snow dome whilst dropping very lame ski puns would get us talking!
ski holidays
anotherproblem wrote:
Jerry, having just watched that part of "This Week" I have absolutely no idea why she was at Hemel, or why she has goggles in a fridge.

Maybe the BBC recognises snowHeads as a great debating forum and thought talking about the issues raised in a snow dome whilst dropping very lame ski puns would get us talking!

More likely they needed a non-studio report and there happened to be a camera crew already heading to Hemel... nice to see the BBC actually making efficient use of our cash! Might have been cheaper to film it on Saturday night on SHs rates though eh!
snow report
anotherproblem, but to respond to sarcasm with sarcasm doesn't work for me. Ill just continue to think ski is an idiot.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steve Terry, welcome to snowHeads. Jake's a nice kid and awesome on a board for someone so young.
snow report
Liveezy wrote:
Ill just continue to think ski is an idiot.

Steady on, old chap! That couldn't be further from the truth. And you've missed an apostrophe, or should I be wishing you a quick recovery?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Steve Terry, welcome to snowHeads. Jake's a nice kid and awesome on a board for someone so young.

Thanks, thats so kind of you. I've been around a while, not big on posting think I may have posted as steve-terry
snow conditions
Got me thinkin, how do they get the mountain rescue helicopter into the hall at Hemel?
ski holidays
DB, And did they accept their insurance or ask for a payment before they lifted them out?
snow report
what was the avalanche risk at the time?
ski holidays
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
DB, And did they accept their insurance or ask for a payment before they lifted them out?

Someone probably has to pop round the corner to the cash machine.
latest report
will they get fined for going off piste though?
snow report
hammerite wrote:
They've just shown Hemel on "This Week" on BBC1....Dunno whether I can stand the Abbot/Portillo double act waiting for it though!

I like them and Andrew Shredded Wheat Hair. I always watch it (with a glass of Blue Nun Laughing ). Very exciting to see Hemel but it looked much bigger on TV than in real life. Odd that Puzzled
ski holidays
maggi, most things look bigger on telly! Laughing
Seriously, first time I went into a TV studio I was like 'this is small!'
snow report
Yoda wrote:
In case anyone hasn't seen what happens here's mine:-

Sir,

I cannot help but notice that you appear to be being assaulted by a Roger Hargreaves character of some sort. I suggest you add googly eyes; in addition to saving you in an avalanche it may also help to deter predators.

Yours etc
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Come on ski, you don't seriously think that it actually did avalanche do you??!!

I remeber going to Chill Factore the 2nd day it was opened, well actually it wasn't the slope was closed. Reason the temparture at night had not been correct and the snow had not stabalized. I had only gone for a nosey but their were coach loads of angry punters who had pre booked from all over the country.

PR nightmare and I am sure someone got their bottom well and truly kicked. I can remeber thinking at the time, it's not like their is going to be in avvy in there snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy