Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Masella question

Poster: A snowHead
Hello folks

Taking the family on their first ever ski trip at half term (they're all beginners but I'm not) and have chosen La Masella after much research. I can fly from Bristol, drive from Girona and stay and ski relatively cheaply compared to other European resorts in what is an expensive week anyway. Whilst the snow is patchy at the moment there are five weeks to get some decent depths. I've done Baqueira in the past and like the ambience of Spain and the Pyrenees but realise that few Brits go (one of the attractions I guess!!!). I wondered if anyone can give ski school tips or more general info. I'll buy an Alp 2500 pass but will base the others in La Masella because it looks prettier in terms of tree-lined slopes. Any help would be much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, I was in Masella april -09, Its a nice resort, with easy skiing, some black runs, the best skiing are in La Molina, so if U want to have more difficult skiing U will need to by Alp 2500 pass, They are wary good to make snow,, even if there not are any natural snow, the most slopes will be open, exept some black runs, if u are lucky , and if there had been a dump, there is good oppertunity for offpist, I will realy say its a nice resort for a family, with all level, but there is alot of skier and snowboarder in weekends, Barcelona is only 1h15min away. And if U want to take a beer, Its on Masella skibar all happens,, as well, a nice resort, nice crew, we was staying at Hotel Alp, there was a brilliant dinner buffé included in the price,, And Masella is I think one of the resort in europe exept scandinavia, that not have a glacier, with longest season,, last season open beginning November, closed the 12th May Puzzled say to me if there is some resort with non glacier with longer season?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that...........I will ski in both resorts but my family can just ski in Masella. I'm hoping for more snow but love the Pyrenees and the whole culture there. Will report back on my return.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you have hire car, try val De Nuria for a day, small resort , but very quiet and one hell of a beautiful train journey there, (you park at the train station in Ribes, if I remember the train takes approx 45 mins, spectacular)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kendub, Why try Val de Nuria? he are going to ski,,, the skiing there is shiit,,
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
freeheelskier, many thanks for your intelligent and well written response !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kendub, What I try to say, is michaelhall58, is going to ski,,, so why pay skipass in Masella, and go to Val de Nuria, U have better skiing in Raise wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice to see the occasional person venturing off the beaten track!

Never understood why people rave about La Molina when Masella is much prettier with its many tree runs and *much* longer-lasting snow. That said, you'll definitely want the joint pass if you're there for more than a couple of days. Conditions should of course be great in 5 weeks' time in theory... but both the Pyrenees and the Alps are going through a bit of a rough patch so far this season (beyond one or two significant snowfalls). Fingers crossed!

Vall de Núria is certainly not worth it for the skiing alone, but could be a nice family day out especially if the others are beginners. It's very cheap so wouldn't break the bank even on top of paying for the week-long Masella forfeits.

Don't know anything at all about ski school etc, but I can say that there are (literally) one or two small, rustic and atmospheric bar/eatery affairs in the main street of the village called Alp below the resort. (You have to drive 5 or 10 minutes down the hill.) The whole area is very rural and tranquilo, much more so than Andorra or (to a lesser extent) Baqueira / Val d'Aran. Don't be looking for ice rinks or cinemas... wink

If you have any questions about the area, feel free to PM me!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pyremaniac, Hi, I have friends living 20min drive from Masella, Puigcerdá, there is icerink and cinemas, if now english people want to see movies in spanish or catalan Puzzled The hockey team are one of the best in spain, but anyway, proberly better to look at hockey in england Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all of your comments. I usually research my trips pretty well and in the end, the combination of budget, beginner slopes and scenery won out. I'm happy with the amount of skiing on offer for me with the combined pass and the gentle slopes for the others. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi All, I have just booked to take my son to a Barcelona match for his 8th birthday... I may drive to Masella for a couple of days boarding... any driving advice? and any where cheap and cheerful to stay?

Many thanks
50FIFTY
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
50FIFTY, the route past Manresa is the quickest (2 hours) but costs quite a bit: a one-way journey will set you back €6 for the motorway toll and €12 for the Cadí tunnel. The alternative route (C17, probably entering from the C33) past Vic has just one toll costing €2 but takes 30 mins longer, and that extra half an hour is spent on a very, very twisty mountain road (although of decent enough quality and with no need for chains). If you think you might take the latter route in one or both directions, let me know and I'll explain in more detail how to cut out some of the curves!

We often take the tunnel route on the way up, so as to arrive earlier, and then the other road on the way home. Note that the queue for the tunnel can be bad on a Sunday night.

Which days are you planning on skiing? If possible, go on weekdays when the place will be empty!

Can't help with accommodation tips, but there's a couple of decent places to eat and drink in Alp (the village below Masella resort).

Masella's a little gem when there's good snow cover. When would you be going?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pyremaniac, thx for all your great advice. We arrive at 11 am at El Prat, so will definitely pay the tolls and get a couple of hours boarding in on the Friday... then board all Sat and some sunday, then get to the match (scheduled for Sun evening at the moment) then stay downtown Sun evening... sight see on Monday and leave Mon evening!!

Great bday treat for my son...

We might Stay in youth hostel at foot of Masella slopes on a hald board basis. How far is Alp from Masella?

Thx again.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
50FIFTY, Masella does a one-day ticket that has 2 hours free (3pm to 5pm I think) on the previous afternoon, though I've never bought it myself because I don't stay overnight. So you could buy that plus another day ticket on Sunday. (There's no morning half-day ticket to help you on Sunday, unfortunately.) If you arrive significantly earlier than 3pm on Friday then of course you can buy a half-day ticket, but as always this ticket's a bit steep: about 75% of the cost of a full day.

Alp is about 5km down from Masella; it's the first real village below the resort. (The resort village itself is very small and purpose-built; I'm sure there must be restaurants etc there too, but I never really taken any notice!)

Sounds like a fun trip! (Tho are you sure it's not really your treat? Toofy Grin )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh, forgot to say: since you're boarders, don't bother with the link to La Molina; I don't rate it at all for boarding.

And how's your Spanish? There won't be much English spoken there.
ski holidays
THx... Spanish is rusty... studied it in college about 20 years ago... will add to the adventure!
Other other advice... Keep it comin...
Cheers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy