Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiers + walkers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are a group of 4 - 2 skiers, 1 boarder and 1 with knackered knees. Booked flights to Geneva - debating which resort to go for given that 1 of us is unable to ski or board but would love to do a bit of walking etc (still at loss why he's chosen to come out with us). The 3 of us can be described as strong intermediates - were thinking of Espace Killy or Verbier but would welcome any other suggestions. Any resorts that would fit our requirements for a combination of great piste kiing, walking possibilities, good nightlife? Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
franga,
Swiss resorts in general tend to have a lot more paths cleared for walking than French ones. Don't know about Verbier in particular but if you contact the tourist office they are usually very helpful with this kind of info.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les saises has walking possibilities
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
franga,
I don't know Verbier but have been to Espace Killy two years running (both times to Tignes, not Val d'Isere). There seem to be limited opportunities for walking around Tignes in winter - there is a bit of information here: http://www.tignesnet.com/activities/tignes-for-the-non-skier.htm. It seemed to me that most pedestrians were just walking round and round on the lake, probably messing up the cross-country tracks rolling eyes

However, three years ago, I was a non-skier like your friend and went with skiing buddies to Peisey-Nancroix because I didn't want to pass up a vacation in the Alps. I suspect that's your friend's motivation too. There are quite a number of winter hiking trails based around Plan Peisey and Vallandry (info available from the tourist office) as well as some others they don't admit to. So, if you do have a free choice of resort, that's one I would recommend. It also gives him the opportunity to become a skier by the end of the week, as I did. As well as the Paradiski area, there is also a Nordic centre near Nancroix.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wengen and grindelwald have miles of winterwalking paths
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe consider snowbiking for the kneeless one? It's pretty good fun, and as you're sitting down there's much less weight on you're legs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We were in Nendaz last year at Easter and my wife who only skis a little, spent days walking paths to various little villages, she took lots of photos and met people and generally really enjoyed it. If you search snowheads you will find lots of descriptions of the skiing at Nendaz from people who know it a lot better than I do, but imo its the best base for the 4 vallees.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zermatt and Arosa both have trails for walkers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
can't say I've used them myself but verbier has lots of cleared walking paths, well signposted, and the folks in the tourist info will be only too pleased to provide maps etc
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can second Nendaz as an option, they have loads of open paths, and we saw walkers everyday when we were out skiing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone - will definitely consider Nendaz!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
franga, recommend Serre Chevalier for the ski/board and walking bits. Friend of ours has done that a couple of times - there are options for guided walks and snowshoe excursions and the villages themselves are pretty for excursions. The nightlife is not vibrant by anyone's stretch, but the available piste is fab.

It is a bit of a drive from Geneva though. Good luck!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowbiking is certainly a possibility with knackered knees. I tried a few descents when my father tried it years ago (his balance had gone due to a nerve disease similar to MS). It was very easy and unstressful, assuming he keeps off icy steeper slopes. I am assuming he can already ski a bit?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Again a bit far from Geneva, but I noticed last week that Alpe d'Huez seems to have numerous marked & "pisted" walking trails.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If your walker was to strap on a pair of langlauf skis then he might find there is a whole world of possibilities for him!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy