Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains - but this time on shoes

Poster: A snowHead
Been wondering how the Europeans coping with walking on icy surface and hard packed snow. One of the tools is snow chains and another is a rubber under-shoe attachment with metal rivets.

In my last skiing trip to Salzburg I bought several versions of them as gifts to friends. Each is about 15 Euro. The more upmarket ones are by famous snowchain company like Rud. All the chains comes with a small box for carrying around. They are widely available in shoe shops in many European countries.

This week I carried one set just to show them to colleagues in the office. The standard fitment is just two rubber bands linked by steel chains. One rubber band loops through the head of the shoe while the other loops round the heel. This exposes the chains in direct contact with the walking surface.

When I took my usual walk at lunch time I sudden found myself on a sheet of black ice and tried immediately to retreat. Thinking of cutting short of my walk I sudden realised that I had the equipment with me. So I slip the snow chains on the shoes and the result was very impressive.

The metal chains become the high points so they can easily cut or break into the top of the ice due to having a higher contacting pressure from a smaller area of contact. Instead of sliding on the black ice my shoes was as firm as I could plant them. What is more there is no discomfort at all. Although I could feel there is something at the bottom of the shoes similar to stepping on gravel. I proceeded to walk into a car dealer show room. The snow chains made only noise on timber floor and none of floor tile or carpet.

The snow chains for shoes can be regarded as a safety equipment and something worthy to getting hold of in your next skiing trip.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 10-02-10 22:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saikee, Bought my elderly MIL some Rud ones for her Christmas present. She loves them and even slips them on to walk on wet leaf strewn pavements Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They're really good - and I know as many people who've injured themselves falling on icy pavements than have done so on the piste. Broken wrists, in several cases.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee, if you need any more the Roofbox company stock them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee, picked mine up at Hofer (Austrian Aldi) for about 4 Euros about 6 years ago.

Fantastic things when I remember to put them in my pocket. but as I am mostly in my car, I all to often forget until the pavement comes up to kiss my backside Embarassed They are in my jacket pocket right now though as I'm working from home this week and not using the car.

Every time I see them in the store I buy a pair for my visitors and family. Judging by the UK weather this winter I'm going to have to send out a "Red Cross" package again.

wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you drive wearing them do you still need chains on your tyres?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All well and good, I've been using the rubber with rivet ones since living out here... word of caution though... if used when not snowy or icing they are lethal!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, but if you are wearing them on your shoes instead of the tyres and crash and are driving a Toyota, Honda or whatever other make is under scrutiny at the time, you could claim it was a "fault" and sue them!

NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue, if it doesn't tell you on the box that you need winter tyres, chains and a helmet, you'd definitely have grounds. You still can't beat stillettos for grip.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, needs to be in the appropriate language as well wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont,

Yes I should have thought of that!

Samerberg Sue,

If the chain catches the accelerator pedal I don't think I would be in a position to sue. More likely it will be the wife's job.

Mind you using it on a Toyota may have a double negative effects cancelling out each other. If this is the case then Toyota can just hand the shoe snow chains out for every recall to save billions.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good grief, people are walking around Newcastle wearing crampons. Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard,

Only poor man's crampons!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You used to see them in the small adds at the back of the paper along with systems for doing the pools and devices for cutting your own hair. Inmy local paper, someone wrote a letter about how it would be grat if there were a device with metal spikes that attaches to your shoes in case of inclement weather, how soon we forget.

You have reminded me of advice form the Scout handbook, that you could put large wool socks on over your shoes to obtain grip on snow and ice (this from the days of leather soles).

My good lady bought a pair of snow boots in Morzine bearing the legends 'Alpi; and 'OC system'. You reach down to the sole, fold over the plastic frame that is hinged there and reveal a set of titanium spikes for sole and heel.Basically, built in crampons. She has finally admitted that they cost about a hundred quid more than she told me at the time, but probably worth the money.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saikee, I've actually got a Toyota Yaris Verso, but I know how to pull the floor-mats away from the accelerator pedal Toofy Grin

And if it did catch, what's so hard about sticking your foot under the bloody thing out yourself? I had to do it when I fitted new mats that were a little too long. Pulled back with my toes under the gas pedal and squeezed the brakes. Then I just pulled over and re-arranged them so they couldn't catch. Not had any problems since and my dealer's garage have checked thoroughly as well. I'll be buying another as soon as I can afford it! Best car I have ever had for reliability, fuel consumption and swallowing copious amounts of ski, sailing and paragliding gear. Even takes my bike standing up inside!

Shocked
ski holidays
Surely it is illegal to use shoes with metal inserts on pavements in the UK Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

The older generation round us still use the old wooly sock trick, works a treat
ski holidays
kevindonkleywood
Quote:

Surely it is illegal to use shoes with metal inserts on pavements in the UK

Hmmm... where does that leave Blakeys ?
latest report
Decathlon sell the chains. One of my colleagues wore the wooly socks last week!!
latest report
Our postie was wearing them during the recent snowy spell. Post Office standard issue. There's a thread somewhere with links to pics.
snow report
Quote:

where does that leave Blakeys

Im sure its a full 'four stretch' if your caught Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy