Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Liber-t badge - height restriction?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just looked at the instructions sent with my new Liber-t badge (if you don't know what this is don't bother reading further...!).

It says that badge is for use in lanes dedicated to remote toll payment for class 1 light vehicles (private vehicles) less than 2 metres high. With my roofbox on, I'm at about 2m20ish.

One leaflet I've been sent says that it is necessary to use a manual lane if there is an abnormal load (ie a bicycle) on the roof. The other has a diagram showing a car, a small van and a 4X4 with a roofbox exceeding the 2m height as being ok. So confusion reigns.

My question: Has anyone driven a full-height 4x4 (Cayenne in my case) with a roofbox on through France using the Liber-t system? Are the barriers actually just 2m high, or will I scrape through at 2m20?

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used the Liber-t badge over the last four weeks, can't answer your question directly, but an avenue to look is the 'reserve lanes' the ones on the outside where you you don't have to stop, they definitely have 2M height restriction...well.. posted. However, you can use any 'CB /T' lanes and the 'T' lane on the inside none of which have any height restriction - buses go through them, although they have to stop momentarily.
The biggest thing is the first time you use the badge... heart goes in your mouth... will it work... you creep forward.. and it beeps and the green light shows, what a relief. Saved me loads of time over the last few weeks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IanTr, we use the height restricted lane with our X-trail and roofbox. Most have plastic links, and a much higher solid barrier, some don't but the car still fits underneath. Even risked the new non-stop lanes. Sorry don't know the exact height though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most seem to have a steel girder beyond the plastic chains , to protect the equipment I guess. The right hand side on busy gates sometimes have an HGV lane.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IanTr, the layout varies quite a lot throughout the network - and T lanes are becoming more common (I went through one two days ago where every single lane had a T badge over it). I think there may still be some, though, where you definitely won't get through with a vehicle that size. But it's no big deal - go through a manual lane and hand your badge over; they slip out of the holder quite easily. The 30 kph lanes are still few and far between - between the Alps and Calais I went through precisely two.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, Quite, but I guess the credit card lanes will be quicker than the manned lanes. Do the credit card lanes have a height restriction?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, I seem to remember that a lot of them do.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, Oh! So overheight still has the choice of cash and HGV lanes in that case.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IanTr,
Quote:

(Cayenne in my case)

they have special lanes for you!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
IanTr, the layout varies quite a lot throughout the network - and T lanes are becoming more common (I went through one two days ago where every single lane had a T badge over it). I think there may still be some, though, where you definitely won't get through with a vehicle that size. But it's no big deal - go through a manual lane and hand your badge over; they slip out of the holder quite easily. The 30 kph lanes are still few and far between - between the Alps and Calais I went through precisely two.

Any lane with a 'T' over it will utilise the badge, although you can do 30KPH in some lanes, I didn't have to actually stop in any 'reserve lane'. IIRC there is no 2M height restriction on any but these 'reserve lanes' and there is never any queue for them, whilst 'normal' lanes can queue for ages.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing, I once arrived in Monetier with bikes on a carrier on the rear of the car with pieces of plastic chain still attached to the handlebars. The bikes plus carrier were definitely lower than the roofbox, so I suspect we have only a few mm clearance. We've got a towbar mounted rack for the new x-trail model.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
allanm, All the Telepeage lanes have some sort of protection, either at the entrance or in front of the equipment required to operate the telepeage system, it's only the height of the 'protection' that varies.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing, Yes, agree... IIRC the 2M is only on the 'reserve lanes'
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing wrote:
pam w, Quite, but I guess the credit card lanes will be quicker than the manned lanes. Do the credit card lanes have a height restriction?

On our Jan trip went through several CC lanes and there were no height restrictions.

I've looked at Tpeage before but with a 2.40 high car haven't bothered. With an increasing number of CC lanes I can fit through, I won't bother
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris, Yep withh so many fast credit card lanes having a telepeage thing is hardly worth it. Particularly as the queues at peak times prevent access to the T lane queues anyway.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Boris, Yep withh so many fast credit card lanes having a telepeage thing is hardly worth it. Particularly as the queues at peak times prevent access to the T lane queues anyway.

Boredsurfing, Not sure about that.... Telepeage was brilliant last four weeks - best €10 I've spent in a long time. Jumped stupidly long queues to normally empty 'T' lanes, through toll without stopping.
snow conditions
allanm,
Quote:

Particularly as the queues at peak times

Last 4 weeks is hardly peak!
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Keep it up! wink
latest report
Quote:

the queues at peak times prevent access to the T lane queues anyway.

Absolutely. I've seen queues solid, on all lanes, for several miles, for the Reims péage gates, going southbound at half term (I was whizzing past at the time, going north). So having a T badge would have done you little good.

And now that more and more people have T badges (hence there are far more T lanes than before) the slight advantage will soon be gone anyway. Sad
ski holidays
I went through the 'T' lanes last week all the way from Calais to Modane. We were driving a Nissan Pathfinder with skis on the roof. Total height from roadway to highest point was 2.12m Had no problems

Hope this helps
latest report
pam w, Boredsurfing,

If this thread appeared before I went to France four weeks ago I probably wouldn't have paid the €10 for the badge. Having done so, and driven about for a few weeks, in my opinion it's worth every penny, and my advice would be to get one as long as you are under 2M. Obviously if the queue is miles back, then I agree it will only enable you to jump the last bit of the queue, but when I was over last year even that was taking up to 1/2 an hour. On balance it's well worth the €10, IMHO.
Also you don't have to Faff about with cash or cards, which is a pain in a RHD car on your own.

Allan
snow report
Can you not just lower the suspension on a Cayenne with a dashboard switch the same as a Tourag on which it's based? I'd have thought that would give you your 20cm clearance.
ski holidays
glowman wrote:
Can you not just lower the suspension on a Cayenne with a dashboard switch the same as a Tourag on which it's based? I'd have thought that would give you your 20cm clearance.

Yes, you can make it crawl along the floor on its belly like a sniper.....! But that won't get me 20cm. I'll lower it and remeasure before I set off.

Very excited to hear about the "special lanes" Steve Sparks, I'll look out for those. Thank you everyone else for your helpful replies, most appreciated.
ski holidays
IanTr, Oh alright then. You'll def. get under all the far left Telepeage lanes inc the non stop ones up to and including Grenoble - (we did so at Christmas and our car+box is 2.25 ish)unless you're travelling out on Friday morning or back on Sunday week in which case you should use the CC lanes Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy