Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

query for ise - please

Poster: A snowHead
ise - thanks for your reply on my thread about where to go this weekend.
Bois de la char have a room left - but their email scared me coz it says we need snow tyres or chains to get up to the hotel... Having spent an hour last month trying to get our chains on - this put me off a bit..
Do they just mean I need to take them - or does it mean they are up so high or on a track that we will definitely need them? Be grateful if you could let me know if you know....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jayne durham,

If you practise putting the chains on a few times at home you should be able to cut 50% of the time off, leaving 15 minutes per wheel should be ample.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jayne durham, Saikee's right but I suspect you have a hire car?

The hotel may be telling you the access is bad currently, they are on the outskirts of the village at the foot of a piste. I have never driven there so I just don't know what the road is like, I only ski there.

However, try PM's to J2Dave, Sarah L or RobertC a quick search shows they've all stayed there. Failing that, ask the hotel guys they're pretty helpful I think.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jayne durham, Get a head torch. Fitting chains is WAY easier when you can see.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If one hires the car get one with snow tyres is probably enough for the job!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Train the wife to fit the chains too. It only takes half the time if you each do a side.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markw, I have a feeling that Jayne Durham does not have a wife.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks Ray - I certainly dont have a wife! - and Mark I did try to help - I got massive bruises on my arms from groping under the wheel arch (that was trying to get them off again!)
Thanks to all... We are driving actually so it is our car ... Yeh contacting the hotel sounds sensible... as does the torch!
Saikee - I was sooo restrained... Had been asking hubby for ages to practice before we left (but having driven for 5 years - we had never needed them) - as we ground to a halt one night - neither able to go forward or back - I was sooo good as I just did as I was told - holding the instructions as they got soggier and soggier... and the words "I told you so" did not leave my mouth..... (until later - !!!!!)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not in a million years I could dream of a husband getting the wife to do the snow chains. It is dirty, wet, dangerous and technically demanding. Even if I could let the wife get herself into a dirty mess I still have to check what she has done for the safety sake. I may as well get on with it and ask her to do the decent thing - pass the tissue luv as I need a pair of clean hands to steer the car
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee, I hope you've taken cover! For the record, Mrs L is much better at most mechanical tasks (the only exceptions are those requiring brute force and ignorance) than me.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The road is a gentle slope but their driveway, to their carpark and back door, is quite steep with two tight turns and may be icy. I used chains over snow tyres for peace of mind - you have to get back down the hill too! I don't suppose the locals bother though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee. I suspect you are just being provocative - well, you've succeeded. Putting on chains is not dangerous (unless you've stopped in a stupid place to do it) or remotely technically demanding. One simply needs to have practised, in easy conditions, and to have re-practised at the beginning of the season. My husband can do it, slowly, but I still have to check what he has done, for safety's sake. His problem? He can never quite be bothered to practice.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w,

The danger I refer to is due to incorrect installation resulting a loose snow chain smashing up part of the drive/suspension system and then the subsequent risk of trying to disentangle the seized chain.

I can live with the wife breathing down my neck keep asking "Is it safe?" (as long as my teeth aren't being pulled out like the Marathon man movie)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We had some great chains last year - can't remember what they were called - we hired them. But you just put them on the ground (more or less) and attached a bit to the wheel and then you just 'drove over' them and they fitted themselves. Well - that's what my husband said. I must admit I didn't try it. But we passed loads of people struggling with chains and ours were on in a very few minutes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spikes Spiders are really quick to put on, you set up an attachment on the wheel hubs before you depart, then it just takes about 30 seconds per wheel to put the chains on by the side of the road
snow report
and rud euromatic are the same, I've used them on an A4 we had.
snow report
I've lived in Canada my whole life (and mostly in Toronto, where there's lots of snow) and have never seen anyone use snow chains, or anything of the sort. Not even snow tires, for that matter. Any idea as to why this is?
ski holidays
ponder, you're not very observant ? You wouldn't know a snow tire if a truck with them on ran you over? It's hard to say but you did ask Very Happy Very Happy

The Canadian Government is the only one I know of that has web sites rating different types of winter tires. I looked at it when we needed to buy some in fact. The Canadian government has a particular good standard for winter tires and it's something I like the ones we use to conform to. Having no commercial axe to grind (I presume) they're a really good source of information.

Seriously, is this some sort of language problem? Are you using different terms?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy