Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
snowHead

Our annual ski trip is somewhat later than its ever been this year; not heading out to Avoriaz until 12th march. Ive only ever skiied in december/january so am used to very cold temperatures and usually a decent snow covering.

It seems that conditions so far this year are looking good, although as we all know, this can change. What id like to know though is what, generally, is the weather like in march - of course, it could snow and obviously ive got the gear for that, but when the sun comes out, is it likely to be suitably warm enough to maybe even do a spot of t-shirt skiing?!

Having spent the last several years often enjoying a beer under sunny, albeit ruddy cold, skies, it would be great to think that the march sunshine will bring with it the opportunity of an extended lunchtime with plenty of alfresco drinking, even late afternoon!?!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the sun is out in clear skies it can be glorious. As long as the wind is low. Dont go out unprepared though.
As far as t-shirt skiing goes. Its fine as long as you are always in the sunny side go into shade and the brass monkeys still come out.
I love having a beer up a mountain mid afternoon in the sun.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
papillion_rouge, yes, it can involve t-shirt skiing. Equally, it can also be v. chilly.

In March I typically swap hard shell for soft shell (or even a wind proof sleeveless) & drop a layer. I like it - long late lunches quaffing ronnie rose on terraces. Excellent.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
papillion_rouge, mid march is the perfect time to go. Great snow, longer days and the mad/bad crowds of Feb are long gone. The sun is MUCH stronger than in Dec/Jan though so take sun cream and use it. Enjoy, the PdS should be super - sunny, snowy and queue-free snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
papillion_rouge, I've been to Avoriaz for the last two seasons in March. Definately not T-shirt weather I'm afraid. Have fun
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
papillion_rouge, March is my month of choice. Normally the conditions are great and the weather not so cold. Over my last three ski trips all taken in March, the temperatures have ranged from +8 to -6. Not usually T-shirt weather, but definitely no thermals needed. As red 27 says though, you will need the factor 50!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In the last 7 years or so March has been the snowiest month of the season - plenty on the ground, more falling out of the sky. You will probably be a month too early for T shirt skiing. But, as the posters above have said, best time of year to ski. More snow than January and, if you're lucky, less cold. And longer days - lifts open a bit longer. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent stuff guys, thanks! Will still take the usual attire and just play it by ear. I have heard good things about the general conditions at that time of the season, plus another reason for going then was to avoid the mad feb crowds!

The only real problem with going so late on is that its still so far away!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
papillion_rouge, but on the plus side you will still have it to look forward to when the half term heroes have the post holiday blues Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not been to Avoriaz, but in general, we have only really had 'proper' T-shirt skiing in April (and May!), apart from the freak March 2007 when temps were up at 18 degrees in the valley, but that really was a freak year. We have as much snow on our March trips as we do in January.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy