Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Safe off-piste without avi kit

Poster: A snowHead
Avalanches are not the only danger off piste. Terrain traps, cliffs, gullies, streams, getting lost, getting injured. Always ski with a buddy off piste. Generally when discovering new routes I want to be 100% confident I know the way back out and can assess the whole line. Normally that means good visual of the route but sometimes local maps, google earth, locals I trust.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky wrote:

They are called ski routes or itineraries, and are defined as being marked, avalanche controlled, ungroomed and not patrolled

I think some(/most?) itineries are patrolled...I've definitely seen things labelled as "patrolled and controlled". They seem to vary a lot between resorts though - some are little more than out-of-the-way pistes (the run down to Zug that Cathy refers to), while others are more like a taste of the backcountry (umm...the run of Kappel in St Anton). It's probably worth asking piste patrol if you're in any doubt (though if they were considered dangerous you'd expect them to be closed).

JimiHendrix wrote:

The ski routes I did in Lech had closely spaced markers on both sides, like a piste, which I interpreted as a clear avi controlled channel

I'm not sure avalanches are all that hot on respecting the markers wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops wrote:
I do not see any reference above to North or South facing slopes, which seems to be a bit of a factor in deciding whether to pop off a piste

statistically in the Alps a lot more avalanches happen on slopes facing between roughly NNW and ENE because:

prevailing winds are generally from the W so deposit snow on E facing slopes

N facing slopes consolidate more slowly than S facing because N facing slopes get less sun and are therefore colder
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some runs are best skied when closed, and you stand more chance of first tracks but I doubt that is the issue here.
You have to make the decision about where and why.
If you don't have the confidence in your own decisions then pick a slope where you can understand what the slope will do.
Gradient and amount of exposure to any slide, should you be on anything that steep.
Run out points, falline, choke points are all things that can be read. History of recent weather is also very useful and you can see how this affects layers which new snow has to fall onto.

For the OP, I would pick a slight slope of around 20 degrees and avoid loaded slopes after a storm typically. The rest is how long is a piece of string.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
get yourself a beacon, shovel, probe, avalung, airbag thingy, recco jacket boots and pants, mobile phone, helmet(natch) and have at it (all said equipment only works if first tested on piglets running about in Cat 5 conditions). Once you do all this you will be 100% safe - guaranteed - you know it makes sense

or check out these dudes for info
http://www.sais.gov.uk/ (forecasts for Scotland but avvy theory is same difference for anywhere, though extra hazards like crevasse etc in alps)

or the book "Chance in a million" by the late Blythe Wright, one of the founders of SAIS

Glenmore Lodge also do a pretty cool (if bandwidth demanding) avvy quiz:
http://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk/avalanche.asp
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
horgand wrote:
97% of slides occur on slopes of 30 degrees and over, so on Ava risk 3 or more, stay off slopes (or parts of slopes) that are this steep or greater.

A huge percentage of slides occur on slopes of 35-37 degrees, so anyone who skis that angle slope on days with an Ava risk of 3+ is just plain stupid IMHO.

So KISS and ski safely.

p.s. if you don't know what a 30 degree hill looks like, buy/borrow/beg or steal an inclinometer, or ask the pisteurs and get a feel for whats steep and how steep.

Start measuring the steepness of slopes you are skiing on to give you a feel for it. If you put your poles at right angles so the third side of the triangle would be the slope you can get an estimate. If the slope touched it would be 45 degrees, if you put the horizontal pole half way up the vertical pole and they touch the slope then it's about 22 degrees, I find most slopes are much shallower than I think. I haven't explained this very well but I also found this
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46998
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

rayscoops wrote:
I do not see any reference above to North or South facing slopes, which seems to be a bit of a factor in deciding whether to pop off a piste

There are too many different factors for it to be that simplistic. South facing slopes get more sun. This could temporarily weaken bonds during melting, but over time will help the snowpack consolidate. Northfacing slopes will often be less prone to melting the bonds, but will take longer to consolidate. Recent winds can load any slope with dangerous windslab, which could make any aspect the winds blow onto unsafe. Temperature, gradient, altitude* etc all play different parts too.

*Usually through temperature difference
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle,
We had a week in Austria just recently, having thought about things along the same line as you but not yet having all the requisite equipment. We were keen not to just go blundering into something that we didn't have the knowledge to deal with. So we booked an instructor to help us out with just this sort of thing. I think he's a snowhead but can be found here www.skizauchansee.com as recommended by flangesax as we were staying with him (who was fantastic, of course!).

The instructor is called Nigel and we had a great time with him, learning loads. And he has the patience of a saint wink However I think our next step will need to be some sort of formal course, don't know what yet. And quite a lot of gadget shopping.

BTW, we had great conditions - Zauchansee and the surrounding area was great and, as I understand it (although please bear in mind my naivety on this subject...and also my rubbish skiing), not difficult to find relatively low risk areas to learn in. The tree-lined areas that Nige took us to were truly beautiful and so peaceful, even though we were never very far from a piste.

We have been well and truly bitten by this particular bug though. Or as yoda put it, found the path to enlightenment you have Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
If you're going to Switzerland, keep an eye on the excellent SLF website. The national avvy bulletin is available in English here:

http://www.slf.ch/lawineninfo/lawinenbulletin/nationale_lawinenbulletins/index_EN

and the regional bulletins (only in French or German) have nice maps and piccies, all nice and easy to follow,

http://www.slf.ch/lawineninfo/lawinenbulletin/regionale_lawinenbulletins/rbuvs/rbuvs_c_EN

They're updated daily about 6pm.

Slope angle, there's an app for that: http://www.mammut.ch/en/safetyapp.html wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian wrote:
Slope angle, there's an app for that: http://www.mammut.ch/en/safetyapp.html wink

Excellent. Another great reason to own an iPhone!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the subject of itinieries....

http://youtube.com/v/6qVwIuznFW0p

well worth a watch.

Close to a marked "skiroute"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gazzza, Your link doesn't work. Says it is a malformed video ID.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well worth getting a shovel and spending two minutes trying to dig snow fast without stopping. It is quite an eye openner. Also dig some pits and take a look at the different layers, see which ones slide. Little things that start to give you a feel for what you are skiing on.

Obviously no such thing as completely safe off piste, no such thing as completely safe on piste especially when you factor in other people. Off piste, whether there is powder or not introduces uncertainty, which increases risk. Possible avalanches, cliffs, trees, rocks and changeable snow conditions.

Like a lot of people have said pay particular attention to the current weather conditions, stay off anything steep, and remember that people get killed or injured every season just off the side of the piste. Be careful, but remember that off piste equals increased risk whatever kit you have with you, and it is your responsibility to manage that risk. But taking responsibility and managing the risk is part of what makes it fun. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horgand wrote:
97% of slides occur on slopes of 30 degrees and over, so on Ava risk 3 or more, stay off slopes (or parts of slopes) that are this steep or greater.

A huge percentage of slides occur on slopes of 35-37 degrees, so anyone who skis that angle slope on days with an Ava risk of 3+ is just plain stupid IMHO.

So if i understand what you're saying anyone who skis off piste on anything over 30 degrees with a grade 3 avalanche rating is an idiot? Or did you just read that in a book?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
frank4short, Yup... usually 50 degree slopes are pretty av safe Laughing
snow conditions
waynos,
I think you're point was well-made, and possibly lost in the noise. Certainly, if you're into the 'itinerary' runs in places like Switzerland and Austria, you are unlikely to find them 'patrolled' as such - they may be 'managed', in as much as they are deemed 'open' or 'closed', and they may or may not be ava protected (itineraries in St Anton are, but not the 'high mountain routes' - can't remember about Verbier now)
There are plenty of obstacles on an itinerary that you are unlikely to encounter in a 'shortcut' between two pistes, which would almost certainly be considered 'off piste' to an lawyer (or an insurance company), but could well be as safe (or safer) than the piste _overall_ (less chance of collision with other skiers?).

To the OP - there are no easy answers - and nothing is ever safe. In a week at St Anton, saw several people being airlifted off the piste, but none from the off-piste.... but a local guide died the week before last, off piste (I think off the Rendl side)... Having loads of kit won't make you safe, neither will following someone elses tracks, or conversely, doing a virgin slope.
An as for the 'is it 35 degrees or not' - how many slopes are a uniform gradient, or, for that matter, of a uniform orientation to the sun?

Better, imho, to ski in a group, learn group & self-rescue techniques, have an 'emergency' plan, and start off with shorter itineraries.

a final thought - is the claimed high incidence of accidents in the 'near' offpiste simply a matter of numbers - most people will start by venturing 'slightly' offpiste - by the time they graduate to 'real' offpiste, involving, lets say, more than 10 minutes of hiking, they probably know what they are doing / are with a guide.... and are thus in a statistically smaller group than the sort who'll traverse off a high run, following someone elses tracks, onto a slope that's been in the sun all day, and that is above a run that is shown as closed, due to ava risk.

regards,
h.
snow report
Masses of useful information here. Thanks. Very Happy
latest report
Hurtle, consider a holiday in North America where its generally in or out of bounds as opposed to a rigid on or off piste situation. Or as a cheaper short notice alternative, take your planks up North!

For the very reason some piste bashing types bash Scottish Snowsports it can be an ideal place for those wanting to explore a less tamed side of snowsports and test out their skills on ungroomed snow conditions. Some marked runs are never pisted and there is no hard and fast on or off piste - more akin to the North American set up, either within the patrolled area or outwith it. If you take notice of any posted closures you can safely explore unpisted snow of various gradients within the officially open terrain.
snow conditions
Winterhighland, sound advice. I have skied a little bit in the States, but never in Scotland. Am put off the States by distance, immigration hassle and cost. I've skied a number of unpisted runs in the Alps - intineraries in Verbier, Les Grand Montets, various mogully runs and so on - and enjoyed them, so the sort of experimenting which you describe as being possible in Scotland might be an appropriate next step. Thanks for the suggestion. I like SamM's idea of learning all this with an instructor. Equally, it would be so nice just to play around a bit (not alone, with one or more ski buddies) if that's possible. As you say, just to test out my skills a little, but without constantly having to shell out for instruction or guiding - that's the context of my original question.
latest report
Come over the pond and ski some in bound bowls.

These are avalanche controlled and mostly shut if dangerous. That said I believe someone died at Big White on piste in an avalanche last year, set off by skier above him I think.
snow report
frank4short wrote:
horgand wrote:

So if i understand what you're saying anyone who skis off piste on anything over 30 degrees with a grade 3 avalanche rating is an idiot? Or did you just read that in a book?

.... err.... no, you seem to be placing your own interpretation on to the actual words posted wink edit - but in the context of the original post from some one who does not ski off piste ...............
snow conditions
hamilton wrote:
a final thought - is the claimed high incidence of accidents in the 'near' offpiste simply a matter of numbers - most people will start by venturing 'slightly' offpiste - by the time they graduate to 'real' offpiste, involving, lets say, more than 10 minutes of hiking, they probably know what they are doing / are with a guide.... and are thus in a statistically smaller group than the sort who'll traverse off a high run, following someone elses tracks, onto a slope that's been in the sun all day, and that is above a run that is shown as closed, due to ava risk.

I'm sure that's true. I'm not saying that slopes near the pistes are any more dangerous, hence the number of avalanche fatalities near the piste. All I'm saying is that it is unwise to assume safety simply because you are "just a little bit off piste". You should be making the same risk assessment about slope stability when you are 50m from the piste as you would when you are 5,000m from the piste.
snow conditions
Ok...lots of information here...not skiing with avi risk above 2.....not skiing 30º slope with avi risk above 3.........So, you can't ski never!! Sad

But please, I don't believe that you never skied in this conditions!!! I don't believe that you could ski waist deep with your parameters!!! I don't believe it!!!

In the pyrenees, for example, more than 90% of avy accidents involving people are slab avalanches triggered by himselfs, so maybe, in my opinion, is a better way to be "safe" to try to know how it "works", direction of winds, orientation of possible wind slabs, know how to choose the better way up, and also better way down, "read" the mountain constantly, be informed of recent avy activity, read the snow-profiles that local meteo services do to know about possible weak layers, and also the most important is already on the mountain constantly analize all "factors" and learn to say NO.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AlTom, Good post

Getting way OT for the OP who only wants a gentle slope off the side but the most important thing for me is to take note of how the recent conditions have developed with a few different weather conditions. That windblown side that now has 30-40 cms on it, that is a layer that may come into play, for example. You can't get all this information at once.
That said, a starter should pick a slope that they can expect to try and ski top to bottom and if that is 10 turns or less then so be it.
15-20 degrees should be the starter but you'll need to get there early.
After a while, chasing inbounds doesn't work as everyone is on it. After that, you try and get in front of the game and that is where the risk gets a bit bigger.
ski holidays
AlTom wrote:
Ok...lots of information here...not skiing with avi risk above 2.....not skiing 30º slope with avi risk above 3.........So, you can't ski never!! Sad

But please, I don't believe that you never skied in this conditions!!! I don't believe that you could ski waist deep with your parameters!!! I don't believe it!!!

read what I said in post #2.

BTW today it is currently risk 2 in the Savoie, that's a lot of terrain to play with.
ski holidays
A small story I told before on snowHead
I was going up the Cugnai lift above Solais (Val d'Isere) and the guide told me about going up it once before. The main valley to the left of the first part of it is gentle and people assume the off-piste between the runs is safe. However there are steep slopes at the head of the valley above it.
On this occasion there were people on this gentle area, some only a few yards off-piste, and he saw an avalanche start on the steep slopes above. He tried to shout warnings to people to get back on the piste, which they had plenty of time to do. Some of the people saw the avalanche and pointed it out to others but they must have assumed they were safe where they were and didn't move, just watching it approach. Several of them were killed as the avalanche rolled over them, including one lady who had been peeing and was found with her pants down. They were only yards from the pistes where they would have been safe. The pistes had been sited specifically to avoid this area of known avalanche danger from high above.
snow report
AlTom,
Quote:

Ok...lots of information here...not skiing with avi risk above 2.....not skiing 30º slope with avi risk above 3.........So, you can't ski never!!

No-one has said don't ski stuff like that ever, they have just said it's not a good place for the origonal poster to start learning about offpiste, as really you shouldn't ski stuff like thaat without having the experience/judgement to analyse the danger of the individual slope.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
frank4short wrote:
horgand wrote:

.... err.... no, you seem to be placing your own interpretation on to the actual words posted wink edit - but in the context of the original post from some one who does not ski off piste ...............

Thanks Raysccops,

As he says Franks, you are placing your own interpretation on my post, where if you read it I am saying people who ski 35-37 degree slopes on Ava warnings of 3+ are asking for trouble. There is loads of good ava info on pistehors.com including reports and analysis of all reported ava accidents since 2002 (I think). In one of these threads they have the distribution of avalanches versus slope angle for Swiss & Canadian resorts, here: http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/453/

As other posters have pointed out whole range of other factors also come into play i.e. wind, snow conditions, depth hoar, etc, etc

The article covered in that thread covers this very extensive subject.

Enjoy & ski safely
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, not bothered to enter this debate till now, for me there is know simple answer. I love to ski off piste but hardly ever will do so without my basic gear (really should always take it, but I am not a saint either). As others have said, you can get caught out very near to the piste or miles away. It is not an exact science and even the best make mistakes as sadly happened in Les Arcs in Jan. My advice. Go buy the gear first (you should only need to buy it once and it will last for years if looked after), learn how to use it (most resorts have Avalanche parks and the pisteurs are normally willing to help teach you, at least in Les Arcs for free) and take introductory lessons skiing off piste with experts, then you will develop the confidence to do more with a safe grounding in the basics of skiing technique and snowcraft. After that I think like most of us you will get the bug and do more and more. Just as an aside, I try to do a snowcraft course every year to keep up-to-date on latest techniques and keep my skills sharp. But even with that training and doing maybe 80 plus days a season off piste over the last few years, I am still not an expert. I am not sure anyone really is. Hope that helps.
snow report
snowcrazy, thank you. On the basis of what I've read, I really value your advice. Smile At the other end of the scale of experience, you are really echoing what SamM said. I can see that it's very probably safer and better to learn with experts on the hill, rather than just read around the subject and set off, ill-equipped, with others who might be as clueless as me, even if it is not too far from the piste. Your/SamM's approach certainly accords with my more cautious nature.

Huge food for thought all through this thread. Thanks everyone.
latest report
Hurtle, do you ski in any particular areas or countries or do you change resort from year to year?
snow conditions
Gazzza wrote:
On the subject of itinieries....

http://youtube.com/v/6qVwIuznFW0p

well worth a watch.

Sorry, heres the correct link

http://youtube.com/v/6qVwIuznFW0
ski holidays
Gazzza wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/6qVwIuznFW0

It might have been close to a marked route but when the cameraman is looking back up there's no obvious sign of a piste in the immediate vicinity. So it's definitely a bit more than just off of the side of the piste.

It also seems unusual the way it propagated. There's no obvious fracture point relating to the skier, it's like it was triggered from someone higher up the slope/above the skier in question. In saying that it's a good demonstration of what can happen.
snow conditions
frank4short, surely if he is on a slab, he can trigger it with pressure almost anywhere on that slab, and doesn't have to be on/above/near the crown line (fracture point), he just has to exert traction on the slab relative to the weak layer and leading to separation at the crown line and hey presto. I thought that was the whole reason so many people got buried in slides people set off themselves.

not an expert btw.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Hurtle, do you ski in any particular areas or countries or do you change resort from year to year?
I have skied more in France than in any other country, but yes, I do go to different places from year to year. Why do you ask?
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, If you watch a normal video of skier triggered avalanche the way it normally starts is that as the skier skies over a convexity in the slope the avalanche starts around the skier. It will then propagate possibly up & across the slope which leads to a fracture or crown to use the correct term which is possibly above where the avalanche started. In the video gazza linked to the avalanche appears to start from above as opposed to at the skier. There's no obvious starting point the avalanche appears to come from above. I'm not saying it wasn't caused by him just that the footage makes it appear as if it could have been caused by someone or something else further up the slope.

If you watch this one
Slide on avalanche crest - Jan 9 2009 from Tyler Wilkes
http://www.vimeo.com/8681416 you can see around about 5 secs in as the skier hits the convexity the slope starts to go. He immediately puts in a hard turn to try & stop himself. Luckily he manages to stop on some vegetation.
latest report
frank4short, I did get what you were saying, but I am sure I have also seen very similar vids of people suddenly finding that they were halfway down a sliding slab without that propagation mecahnism. By the same token - a lot of the slab downhill of him appears to me moving quite quickly right from the start.

anyway - scary.
snow report
Henry's Avalanche Talks show several videos of avalanches. In many cases the top of the avalanche is far above the skier/snowboarder, just like in the video.

I think that what happens is that a "slab" of snow has little adhesion to the snow beneath but the slab acts like a big cohesive lump. The extra weight and movement of the skier on the slab make the whole slab move. (Think of an omelette sliding around in a frying pan. Tip the pan a little and the omelette stays still, tip it a bit more or add some weight and the omelette slides.) As the avalanche moves you can see the slab breaks into big pieces showing that the slab wanted to stick together. If the slab had little cohesion it would have broken into very small pieces or even into powder.

The point about convexities is that they are weak points, maybe lines of weakness is a better term. Skiing below such a weakness may, because of the extra weight and movement, cause the snow to fracture at the weakness.
ski holidays
Adrian, yes, this seems like a good description. In fact in the avalanche I was in, the guy who set it off onto the rest of us found himself briefly riding a sort of raft of snow he was able to balance on for a few moments, like a rider on a surfboard, till the raft broke up into pieces and he was pitched into the middle of it.
The initial crust material continued down the slope collecting more snow (and us).
latest report
 brian
brian
You don't need to be near the actual fracture point to have been the cause of the fracture (although I think that's more common):

http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/encyclopedia/remote_trigger.htm
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy