Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last minute dithering: Watea 84 or Scott Mission (or Punishers?)???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Got some advice off you kind people a few months back, and have been demo-ing away at MK in an attempt to pin down "the one" for me. But, I'm still dithering, and thought a bit more advice might push me one way or the other (then and again, I might just ignore the advice and let sale prices and fate decide )

For info, I'm 90kg (ish), 6'1", have about 14 weeks on the snow under my belt, and would probably classify myself as reasonably advanced and fairly aggressive/athletic skier (mainly on piste, but looking to spend more and more time off-piste) - probably not as aggressive as I used to be now that age is catching up on me (43 years young), but still fitter than most.

Whatever I buy will be with me for a few years, and I want it to be able to develop my skiing. As the family have only just learnt to ski, I'll be having the mountain to myself in the mornings whilst they're in lessons, but will be skiing with them in the afternoon, so a total off-piste beast is out of the question.

I've basically whittled the choice down to the Watea 84 or the Mission (184 and 183 lengths respectively). At MK, the Watea is definitely the easier to ski, really enjoyable; but I also enjoyed the ride on the Mission (admittedly, both at slightly shorter lengths than I think I need).

Key questions are: am I likely to outgrow the Watea too quickly? Will the Mission be a pain skiing "en famille"? Presumably Mission will outperform Watea off piste with it's wider waist, given my dimensions? Would the Punisher be an option/better bet (seems to be cheaper)?

The last skis I bought were a pair of 195cm Kastle RX with probably just over 60mm waist (c1985, and still collecting dust in the shed!), so please forgive the faffing about.

Any and all advice greatly welcomed...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I admit to no knowledge of the Watea, I demoed Punishers (for 2 days in Tignes), and this season bought Missions. I am 5'11" and 85kg and went for the 178s. I find the Missions very easy to ski on piste, and think they would be ideal for pottering "en famille", they are stable and predictable, but unsurprisingly are not the fastest edge to edge. The Missions are the best skis I have tried off piste (out of not many), but it is the ease and competence on piste that impressed most, as they were so much better than I expected from a ski with 89mm underfoot - definitely more lively and responsive than the Punishers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blunty, Have a pair of hardly used scott punishers that I got last season. Got touring bindings on my old powder skis and have not used the punishers much since. A solid all round ski, very effective and easy on piste and a decent width gives the float needed off piste. I know plenty of people that love their Missions, the Punisher I think is the same other than twin tip. Thinking of selling my punishers, any chance you coming out to the ski amade area in austria?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the Wateas and had the same dilema the Wateas have been great and are good off piste too so as an all mountain the Wateas are a good buy...........but the Missions may be as good off piste -what swayed me in the end was the Wateas are easier to put skins on
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the punishers and they are great skis, quick and responsive nice flex with good pop, you'll have to work them hard on hardpacked icey pistes, but thats no what they're for. They don't seem to ski switch all that well, I thought it might be me, but my Blends seem to work alot better. (i presume due to the punishers large shovel). Though sounds to me you're probably better off on the missions unless you want TT specifically..

The wateas seem to be well thought of, but i have no experience of them

not to confuse things more have you thought about the Volkl AC50s or movement jams..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
papasmurf, where are your bindings on the punishers? ski center or boot center? There's a 7cm difference to where the bindings can be fixed, makes a big diff to how they ski, forwards and backwards.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
they're forward of boot centre but not quite ski centre.. My blends are mounted right back so I don't think its that. the blends are just a lot more symetrical
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the feedback guys, looks like the Missions are creeping ahead for me at the moment.

Waynos, unfortunately will be nowhere near the Ski Amade I'm afraid, it's La Plagne at Easter this year, but thanks for the offer.

Redrunmarcus. Skins not an issue for me as touring not really an option at the moment (although in a couple of years when the kids are older... Smile ).

Papasmurf, interesting that the Punishers don't ski well for you switch, as that is one area I want to develop as I ski with the family. Both the Wateas and Missions are semi-twin anyway, and to be honest I'm not specifically looking for a TT, just that I'd heard they were the TT version of the Mission (and seem to be coming up cheaper than the other 2!). I'd thought of the AC50s, but haven't had a chance to demo them (haven't seen them on the rack at EB), and they seem a bit pricier.

Actual cheapest deal I've found so far is the Watea at Sport Conrad (depending on binding, but around the 400-430 euro mark). Unfortunately Herr Conrad doesn't seem to do Scott skis, and the cheapest Misiion I can find is about £470 with a decent DIN on the binding.

Once again guys, thanks for the advice - I'll let you know what I finally decide on (when I finally decide!!).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.snowfit.co.uk/product/home_snowfit//-13212- for the Wateas
http://www.theoutdoorgearshop.co.uk/acatalog/Scott_Mission_2010_model.html- for the Scotts
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blunty they'd certainly ski switch better then the missions or wateas its just the large shovel i think makes them harder to ski switch well then some TTs.. though thats probably cos I'm lazy.

could you be tempted with the K2 Extreme + Marker Griffon Schizo from conrad? Toofy Grin

I'd go for the missions even if they did cost a bit more.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
redrunmarcus, thanks for the links - they're the 2 suppliers I'd already highlighted as cheapest in this country. Keeping a close eye on their prices in the hope of an imminent sale!

papasmurf, not sure about the K2s. Before testing I was sure I'd love the Apache Recons but never really got on with them when I got to have a go, so without an opportunity to demo the extremes I don't think they're a brand I'd go for on a wing and a prayer. Thanks for the vote on the missions, I suppose when you think about it if you're spending between £400-£500, £50 here or there is not really going to make that much difference if you're getting what you want! Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dithering over: picked up my new Missions today from EB in MK. Drooling over them as I type...just 4 more weeks and I can start using them in earnest!! Thanks everyone for your advice (even those I ignored!).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now go demo some new Kastles. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why Missions over Punishers? Surely the punishers are jsut better looking missions that have the advantage of kicking up a coll rooster tail?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, out of my price range I'm afraid (got a family of 5 ski holiday to pay for as well!). My old (extremely old) skis were Kastle RXs (?) from the mid 80s, thin as sticks and 198 in length, and very very quick. Just thought, I now own 2 pairs of skis, surely I now have a quiver (although I doubt the Kastles will ever be skied again!)

Clarky999, sorry but I'm not going to let you put any doubt in my mind now...the deal is done! Main thought process was that I was able to demo the Missions in close to the length I wanted, and they seemed to suit me well; whereas I couldn't get on a pair of Punishers. A few people have said they're just a twin-tip Mission, however many more imply that they ski quite differently, and I wasn't going to take the risk and be stuck with a ski I didn't really like (especially at the rate it takes me to buy new ones...24 years I think since my last purchase). Shame really, they were cheaper...although I disagree about the graphics, but what do I know at my age, eh?!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy