Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

venturing further off piste...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've come to the realisation that my future in skiing is going to involve trips that take me further and further from the beaten track into the backcountry to explore what the quiet places have to offer.

I realise there is lots of equipment choice in this area and fully understand that i'm going to have to learn new skills, including about snow packs and stability of slopes etc. how to use probes, shovels etc.

I plan on going on the Glenmore Lodge course for this. Anyone been, any comments???

What this thread is about though, is equipment. I currently ski on K2 Xplorers, which i love. I have used them in various off piste snow conditions and would love to have the same downhill capabilities as they offer me, but with the ability to skin up when required.

Should i be looking at bindings such as the Marker Baron/Duke??? or what are the other options. Is it possible to replace my one set of skis with something that could handle everything. Money is tight, so i'd prefer to trade my skis in and get something that can do everything as there will off course still be many days that i need to spend totally within resort.

Hope all this makes sense, and if i've got anything wrong, please let me know...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
putting a touring binding on your skis will add flexibility but you could just use an adapter plate like Securafix or Alpine Trekkers. this assumes you will be doing any touring at all. you can do some quite remote skiing in lots of places without much/any uphill

if you do go down the touring binding route, why not just take your current bindings off and replace them with the new ones? do Xplorers have a hostage plate/rails or something?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah... 'fraid they do. I think you can also get them flat without any binding hook up inserted, but the current crop of K2 Apache series skis which work with the Marker MX bindings all have a couple bits of metal secured into the ski at purchase.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
shoogly, are the integrated rails unremovable ? Can they be ripped out and the holes filled? I've got a pair of Recons I'd like to put touring bindings on ...

In answer to your questions, I've got a set of skis with Marker Dukes and they ski as well as a regular alpine binding. They are, however, pretty heavy so if you want to do multi day tours or shorter tours with whippet like friends, you could be toiling. For a quick jaunt as part of a lift assisted slackcountry day, they are ideal.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boo to hostage plates!

guess it depends on how much shopping around you are prepared to do but you could probably get some good 2nd hand alpine bindings plus trekkers/securafix for cheaper than barons/dukes. if you're buying it all new you might as well go straight to Barons unless you run your DIN high.

if you can get a deal on Fritschis, don't rule them out. they tour better than barons but ski worse

once you have sorted this out just put the bindings on some skis you like. no need to get special skis unless you are doing lots of uphill when weight becomes a factor
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i'll probably go for the bindings that ski the best... that, after all, what is what we're there to do.

I think i'll probably end up having 2 pairs of skis going by the sounds of this. keep the xplorers and get a 2nd set.... just don't tell my better half!!!

this is a long term project anyway, as the first thing i want to do is learn all about the dangers and what to look out for - educate myself before taking the plunge.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly, keep an eye out on ebay for trekkers or securafix. they seem to appear regularly enough and I am sure they are fine for short/non-technical skins. probably the most economical way of dipping your toe into touring unless you just hire kit
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've just bought the marker baron bindings and put them on my Big Troubles. They ski as well as BT's with standard bindings, but they do feel heavier in the air. You get used to it though. The BT's are heavy enough anyway, so it makes for a pretty hefty set up. I wouldn't really want to tour morethan a couple of hours on them tbh, but they are excellent for the descents. I wanted something that would make it easier to access better/untracked/more remote descent lines, and it's great for that. If you want to tour for touring's sake (ie travelling large distances and with as much emphasis on the uphill) I would defo go for lighter bindings.

Whilst your'e looking for BC kit, remember you'll need a good pack. If you can't afford the ABS systems, the Black Diamond Avalung packs (I have the covert) are ace. Luckily I've never had to use it an an avi scenario, but I think it could make a very big difference if the situation should arise.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shoogly, you can do plenty of off piste without having to tour at all, I've been off piste skiing for 20+ years and only recently got the kit to do some slackcountry....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Things like the Securafix and the Alpine Trekker work and may be fine for just dabbling in touring and skinning but I would not recommend them. They add a lot of weight to your rucksack when not in use and to your feet when in use. They move your feet higher above the snow so on any "tipping over" of the ski there is more sideways pressure than with normal or touring bindings, so more chance of a ski coming off. Try Googling for "securafix advantages disadvantages" or for "alpine trekker advantages disadvantages". The off piste guides I ski with generally recommend against adapters except for their new clients who are doing a first skin on an easy ascent.

Arno said that the "Fritschis ... tour better than barons but ski worse". Not sure what that means and as I have never used or even seen "barons" I am sure Arno is correct. But I have been using Fritchis as my only bindings for a few years now (say 10 to 15 weeks on the snow) and have not been let down. I have had several falls off piste where the bindings have released without any unwanted stress on my legs; bindings set to DIN 7 front and back. Also regularly ski fast on piste - but I do not often fall on piste nowadays - and I will ski as fast as my skills allow, I do not hold back because they are touring bindings.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have a look here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1337105
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shoogly, +1 for what Kittenski says. We hardly ever use our touring gear for off piste days. Also light touring equipment doesn't ski half as well as the normal alpine stuff.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, I've done the avalanche awareness course at glenmore lodge is that the one you mean?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy