Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski boards / fun blades

Poster: A snowHead
as in my other post i tried my friends big foot's and loved them i really want a pair but as they dont make them anymore i may have to look for an alternative if i can not find any second hand , what are the nearest to big foot , width,height and feel very similar????? i have heard revel8's are good but non seem to be as short and fat as the big foot's , but i havnt a clue about these really as i only discovered them this holiday , i found the ski's i was originally skiing on (normal length quite heavy) do no good for my dodgy knees , but the big foot's felt better on the joints if you know what i mean! (im only 21 not an old fogey just on my feet all day with work)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The K2 Big Air ones are similar length and wider than Snowblades, might be close to what you're looking for.

Whether you'll actually find any K2s is another problem, probably more likely to find the Kniessl ones than the K2s. Ebay seems to come up with bigfeet and similar fairly regularly, worth keeping an eye on it every few days.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thankyou monium , i will also look for k2's , anything as near as big foot ski's is what im looking for so will try and do a little research on k2's also , thanks x
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
harriet, these are possibly the closest to bigfeet:
http://www.skiboards.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=967
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
harriet, i think the k2 big airs where 80cm, the snowjam are 75cm, and deffo a better constructed skiboard than the K2
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
harriet, revel8 also do a couple sets of 75cms boards.
http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=rvl8fitc08&Category_Code=skiboards&Product_Count=20
http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=rvl8samurai08&Category_Code=skiboards&Product_Count=21
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
graeme, thanks , the snow jams are quite a similat length to the big foot's (plus 11cm) (big foots are 64cm IIRC and the website said snowjames are 75cm) but look a little thinner , i think i may see if they have them at the local snowdome and give them a go before i commit to buying something i have not tried yet , but i think these snowjam''s look perfect if i cannot find any big foot's in a reasonable condition (although my dad can recondition them , sharpen, wax etc etc for me ) thankyou graeme these look perfect .....cool graphics too, will probably buy these if i can not find big foots
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kneissl-Big-Foot-Ski-s-snowblade_W0QQitemZ270525406850QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSkiing?hash=item3efc921e82

in the states thpough
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
graeme wrote:
harriet, i think the k2 big airs where 80cm, the snowjam are 75cm, and deffo a better constructed skiboard than the K2

K2s were 99cm from memory. So probably a bit longer than the other options you're looking at.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monium, the k2 fattys are the longer ones 99cm ish. the big airs where around 80cm
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've done my last three ski holidays mainly on snow blades. Some times I snow board for a change for a day and some times I'll swap to someones "grown up" ski's. I can ski on normal 170cm ski's pretty well but on blades I have so much fun. I keep up with and go faster than seasoned skiers on my dinkie blades and I love getting air over the crests of red and black runs.

Now after three blading holidays I am starting to grow out of my blades and am looking at some sort of half way house. My current blade are Sporten 97cm blades which are availible on ebay for £120. I've had so much pleasure out of them that I cant sell them and will be sad to change to something else.

I want to go for a longer bigger ski because 1 metre blades have very little stopping power at high speed, and when the fresh snow is all lumpy and carved up they are a bit unstable. I also feel the blades dont float very well in the powder so you end up leaning too far back and thus not having much control.

I'd be tempted to rent some under 1 metre ski's for a couple of days then swap them for a pair of 130cm's. You will find you will be carving hard and fast in no time on the short ski's and your confidence will bloom!

Good luck on the mountain

Matt
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MattNeedsPiste, move away from blade type products and onto skiboards, world of difference between them
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't believe there is actually a serious discussion about blades! Seriously guys just learn to ski, its better in every way and less embarrassing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seconded!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's plenty of blades on Ebay at the mo...for about 0.99p...but I'd personally budget £1.99 so you've got enough money to phone your folks and tell them ya gay...
ski holidays
Quote:

I keep up with and go faster than seasoned skiers on my dinkie blades and I love getting air over the crests of red and black runs.

That's you is it? Would you mind posting advance notice of where you're going on holiday so we can all arrange to be elsewhere?

Quote:

1 metre blades have very little stopping power at high speed

Look at this statement in conjunction with the one I quote above. This may help you understand why the rest of us think bladers are dangerous loonies who ought to be shot.
snow conditions
twangjack, i can ski well and yes i normally use anything in the region of 142's to 154's and favour my 152's but i have bad joints , i have the start of arthritis and already do in my hands , i find ski boards alot easier on my knees and ankles! so you could say the 2 reasons why i want a change is ....

1) fun , fun , fun

2) my joints!

so yes damn right i want a pair of ski boards , some people may think im gay for it but its far better for my joints and fun!!!!!

MattNeedsPiste, i found the big foot's did alright in heavy pockets of snow and off piste etc , but i dont know if thats the same with all of them or if its just the way i ski ???? sorry im no technical genius here just a girl who likes snow Laughing
latest report
harriet, too right. First time I tried BigFoots there was an 80-something woman in the group, who'd never skied (or at least not skied for decades), and had double hip operation. Took her approximately 3 turns to get the hang of them. If they get someone on the snow that wouldn't or couldn't otherwise partake in slidey snow sports, then it's a good thing imho.

The blades (certainly those from about 10 years ago) were more geared to fun carving (and useless off piste), while the BigFoots were much wider underfoot and an absolute laugh off piste. Not tried any of the newer blades/funcarvers etc.... yet Twisted Evil
snow report
exactly i use "grown up" skies on blue runs etc but when on harder runs i now want to use ski boards as i didnt find i was walking like a cripple after! so anything like the big foot that can maybe stand a good 10 minutes off piste occaisonally would be great , how are the snowjams off piste does anyone know? dont worry im not an 80 something (no offence anyone) im just a 21 year old with a taxing job and bad genes! god i feel so demanding i baisically want something perfect short, fast,fat and can go off piste and still fun!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
the_doc, post of the year.
snow conditions
how about some rax skis...
ski holidays
the_doc wrote:
There's plenty of blades on Ebay at the mo...for about 0.99p...but I'd personally budget £1.99 so you've got enough money to phone your folks and tell them ya gay...
Twisted Evil
snow report
Never tried Big Feet, but there is a lot of rubbish posted on the merits of various skis and ski versus blades.
I've been sking for 20 years+ and apart from the first few years have always skied on the best I could afford, Starting out in the not so bad old days of pre-carvers I learned the classic close stanse tecnique. I got my first salomon 99's about 10 years ago in Tignes during a two day white out when we couldn't get up the hill at all. It was love at first ski. Top tip keep in that close stanse and ski them like a mono ski - anyone remenber them ?
I love the way they carve and how I can lean back to control speed in the crud at the piste edge, and ski backwards and sidewards take bumps and just a**e around.
I'm on my second pair of 99's - lost one off a lift in Val d'Isere - and also a pair of Atomic 120's. The Atomics I thought would be more ski like, infact they're far too ski like and don't have the sheer exuberance of blades. I still have them and may give them a second try one day.
Fave ski of all time is still my Salomon Superforce 3S's 15 years old and still going strong. They can catch air off each turn if you press them! One day they'll make skis like this again....
Tried several carvers and still not really impressed, too safe, steady and uninspiring but am thinking I should invest in a top pair of short slalom carvers next. Try before I buy though.
Sorry off the point and rambling.... Salomon 99's are GR8T! but you have to know how to use them.....
Shame it's all going safety concious / release bindings these days it's just not the same.

PS Matt don't do it. Stick with the shorties..

PPS Many thanks to Bristol Snow & Rock who fixed my boots on Tusday. Ten quid well spent. Top service. Thanks again lads!
snow report
Ancient Skier,

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Good joke, youre a funny guy!
latest report
Ancient Skier, usual challenge applies - show me one clip on youtube of anyone skiing blades/ski-boards outside the Park who looks good.

Until someone does this - blading is up there with riding a moped or shagging a fat bird - it maybe fun, but it's not something you would want your mates to see or tell other people about. Wink
snow report
Sorry can't find a video, 'cause it's usualy me sking backwards filming others.
But, me bird aint fat, my moped is 1000cc, and I'm definately not gay.
Probably you'd not realise the old guy is on blades until I pulled some crazy stunt.
It's all about sking with style, a skill that is sadly lacking with the kids today.

Top tip: Never buy white skis. A colourful top can save hours when you step out of one in thigh deep powder!
Don't ask me how I know this.....
ski holidays
Ancient Skier, go on... how do you know that? Tell us! Pleeeaaaase.
snow conditions
arv, just coz it's you'r birfday, don't expect me to do your google fu 4eva.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arv, just know it resulted in me being known as 'Digger' for the rest of the week...
snow report
Ancient Skier, why, do you look like John Barnes?
latest report
I play football about as well as he skis, if that's what you mean?
Otherwise no resembalance!

Back to the point. Anyone got a good time for the Sella Ronda?
I may tell you mine on blades and how much it hurt.
(and how good it felt)....
snow report
harriet, I'm surprised you find blades easier on your knees than long skis - I find the reverse, one reason why I don't use blades any more (and in case I ever bump into stoatsbrother, and have him say "I rest my case"... wink ).
snow report
Pam, it depends on how hard you go. Ski steadyand it makes little difference. Shorties may even have the advantage. Start to push and I agree, skis are far more knee friendly. Much the same goes with sking beginner skis too fast they wreck you. Horses for courses... If you want to go fast and hard you need some good stiff skis or stand the pain. Like driving a landrover with broken springs down a mountain track if you know what I mean..
On the other hand, stiff skis will chuck a beginner off into a confused heap on every other turn.

Top tip #2: Don't bother with all that 'bendz zee knees and extend' nonsense. Wait until you hit a bump or ridge, unweight the skis, then turn.
Ski all day for zero effort.....Magic!

PS Don't try this in powder, or you'll be called Digger too!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy