Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hillend to close?!

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if already posted elsewhere:

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Lossmaking-Hillend-ski-centre-39could.6049091.jp
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very sad IMHO and I hope it doesn't happen.

Hillend is a very important training facility for many local, and not so local, racers and clubs and it would be a real tragedy if it was lost IMHO.

Ironic really in what is turning out to be such an amazing season for real snow skiing in Scotland!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boo! I learned to ski there. Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yet another of the problems caused by the creation of several wee authorities out of Lothian Region. It was always daft that Midlothian should have to bear the burden of maintaining a facility which served a much wider area than its own and it is to its credit that it has done so up till now. I don't suppose the other former Lothian authorities will be rushing to pay a share, mind you. And if it were to bought by a private enterprise, the prices would shoot up of course. Quite a problem and difficult to see its solution. An Andy Meldrum with as strong an attachment to Hillend as he has to Glencoe?

I have skied there, trained there and worked part-time there; I met my wife there; I see the slope from my study window; I have seen successive years of my school pupils learning to ski there. I do hope there is a solution.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gloucester for sale and nnow this with Hillend, the future isn't looking too clever is it?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't understand the politics but it seems to me that all the authorities which benefit from Hillend should provide some support, not only Midlothian. Obviously an annual deficit of £500,000 is difficult to justify and I wouldn't be surprised if there are other major maintenance costs around the corner (the lifts are not the newest).

However, it would be sad to see Hillend closed, although I must admit I never used it all that much when I had the chance. Nowadays I sometimes go back for nostalgic reasons when I'm in Edinburgh. I did, though, organise school classes to go there soon after it opened. The photo shows a TV news presenter in his early skiing days - and he still lists skiing as a hobby.

Some supporters have set up a Facebook site 'Stop Hillend Closure!': http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=286170793324&ref=search&sid=524306142.3628186426..1. Maybe some Snowheads can add support there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Must admit if I were a council-tax payer I would want the centre to be self-financing. I hope the Council had sought advertising - and maybe it should have raised lift-pass costs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was just wondering how long it is before Sllksworth follows?

I think the problem goes a bit beyond just the politics of the council subsidy, The Dendex skiing experience outdoors in the UK has a big job to do to live up to what can be experienced in the snowdomes scattered across the country.

The pricing differential does not stack up either as undiscounted snowdome pricing tends to be in the £12-£13 an hour and down, Hillend is £9.30 an hour and your session is at the mercy of the weather and the surface can be varible to say the least.

Hillend also suffers, situated so far out of town, as is not within easy reach of the bulk market (and bread and butter of the snowdomes) of the younger kids who want to come every night to hone their tricks on rails, boxes and kickers.

At a 500k loss you need to make up probably somewhere in the region of 65 thousand hours of skiing to break even at current pricing levels and it would be difficult to justify stronger pricing when demand is so weak.

Clearly the council has little to loose and a lot to gain in closing the Hillend facility, Skiiing is afterall (as we are repeatedly told) a minority sport.

What will happen if they close this slope, Either someone will buy it to run as a private concern?? (unlikely?) or the vaccum of facilities may encourage one of the snowdome franchises to think about opening something in the east of scotland? (possible?).

Whilst the closure of any facility is regrettable i cannot see where the viable future is for Hillend which may just have come to the end of its natural life, however glorious it was in its youth.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Random Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=286170793324&ref=nf

And some more news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8511534.stm
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The thing that Hilled has in its favour is length of slope. Close on 500m against say 150m for an average UK indoor slope. I know where I would rather ski.

It was looking rather sad the last time I was there and as has already been said the lifts are not getting any younger.

As for it being out of town, Edinburgh is not that big and I reckon you could reach it by bus in 25 min from Princess street. It is also well situated just off the bypass for folk coming further afield.

I think some better marketing is needed, it has not even got its own website, just a sub part of Midlothian councils. I really want to link to Health and Social care or Waste from a ski site.

Perhaps some funding should be made available from the Scottish Government, but the aim should be to have a minimum subsidy. Until that happens lets just get the English taxpayer to subsidize it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
I think some better marketing is needed, it has not even got its own website, just a sub part of Midlothian councils.

There lies the problem!!! It's the same with all of the council owned sporting facilities in Edinburgh. They have some fantastic golf courses as well, but their crappy wee sections of the council website are just as bad.

It would cost the council nothing to promote and market the slope better... they have design staff and property where advertising boards could go up all around edinburgh. They have many outlets to get the message across that the facilities are there and the benefits it could give to local groups/schools etc is huge. There's even a bus route that goes to hillend from town so it's not even as if you really need a car to get there.

The main thing that i think hillend is suffering from is lack of investment, wether that be time, thought, or money!

Sounds to me more like the council is looking for an easy way to save cash and Hillend is an easy target.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For those of you who have not had the pleasure of the website here is the the link

http://www.midlothian.gov.uk/Topic.aspx?TopicId=86

I would advise dark glasses and not to stay on it too long
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
For those of you who have not had the pleasure of the website here is the the link

http://www.midlothian.gov.uk/Topic.aspx?TopicId=86

I would advise dark glasses and not to stay on it too long

Gross. Shocked

shoogly wrote:
Sounds to me more like the council is looking for an easy way to save cash

I sincerely hope my local city and county councils are.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/savehillend/

Please sign the petition if you would like to show your support.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
also what about the LSRA club with loads of members who use the facility , also there are 8 race days planned there this coming year , including the Scottish Dry Slope champs and the the British Champs where competitors come from Europe to ski the famous slope and the steep wall at the top.
ski holidays
achilles, Exactly,(well done for not biting at the the other comment above by the way, I must try harder next time)

I think shoogly, has a good point, it is not just a case of financial investment, a little investment in thinking about marketing would go a hell of a long way. Hillend is the longest artificial slope in the UK, but you wouldn't get that from the site. The site itself shows that Hillend is way down the councils priorities so maybe its time to get it run by another group be it by lease or sale.

As I have said before I would rather ski a 500M dendex slope outside rather than a 150m indoor snow slope, it would be interesting to know what others views are. As I recall the top of hillend is a challenge in its own right and certainly not a beginer area. I also remember the elbow to the side with it's rollers. Could see the slope from my bedroom when I was a kid. Ah memories
ski holidays
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
As I have said before I would rather ski a 500M dendex slope outside rather than a 150m indoor snow slope, it would be interesting to know what others views are.

Not me. I really, really dislike skiing on plastic. Much prefer to ski on a short indoor slope than a plastic slope of any length. If I didn't have the option of skiing indoors I wouldn't ski in the UK. Having said that, I hope Hillend does manage to survive as I know not everyone shares my dislike of dendix.
snow report
It would be a shame to see it die. It sounds like it needs new owners, to be focussed on its success. Got to worry in the current (financial) climate...
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Not me. I really, really dislike skiing on plastic.

Did you not ski at the old Hemel dry slope Rob?
Quote:
Much prefer to ski on a short indoor slope than a plastic slope of any length. If I didn't have the option of skiing indoors I wouldn't ski in the UK.

Not even on the Scottish mountains? (You know I just had to ask that Rob Wink )
Quote:
Having said that, I hope Hillend does manage to survive as I know not everyone shares my dislike of dendix.

I don't think anyone would pretend that a Dendex slope is comparable to a mountain (but then is a fridge?) but it's a good training surface IMHO and better than nowt and I think the important thing to remember in this case is the number of racers that have used Hillend and have trained and raced there and won't be able to do the same in future if it closes, that's an important fact that should be remembered IMHO.

Of course if someone built an indoor slope in the UK the size (and relative cheapness) of a Landgraaf or Bottrop then we really could say that Hillend was past it but until that happens I think it's an important facility that needs supporting.

P.S. Saw Hemel on the telly last night on "This Week", that reporter could do with some lessons lol!
snow conditions
Anyone in denial about the importance of Hillend to UK snowsports should consider the number of olympic skiers who started race training there with LSRA.

Andy Noble, Martin Bell, Graham Bell, Davie Mercer, Finlay Mickel, Emma Carrick-Anderson amongst several others, all started racing there. For race training Hillend has a much better track record than all of the snow domes put together ?
latest report
Anyone in denial about the importance of Hillend to UK snowsports should consider the number of olympic skiers who started race training there with LSRA.

Andy Noble, Martin Bell, Graham Bell, Davie Mercer, Finlay Mickel, Emma Carrick-Anderson all started racing there.
For race training hillend possibly has a better track record than all of the snow domes put together wink

And perhaps more importantly it is also a great facility for kids, school groups and learners of all ages.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Andy Noble, Martin Bell, Graham Bell, Davie Mercer, Finlay Mickel, Emma Carrick-Anderson all started racing there.
For race training hillend probably has a much better track record than all of the snow domes put together wink

Unfortunately we don't use straight skis for racing anymore, I don't think that Dendix helps nearly as much for training to race on modern skis.
latest report
rob@rar,
Quote:

Not me. I really, really dislike skiing on plastic. Much prefer to ski on a short indoor slope than a plastic slope of any length. If I didn't have the option of skiing indoors I wouldn't ski in the UK

Each to their own and I wouldn't criticise you for it but for me skiing is an outdoor activity. Going to Hillend gives you superb views from the Pentlands over Edinburgh and a feeling of the country. A stark concrete fridge is a relaitvely dispirting place.
ski holidays
Quote:
Unfortunately we don't use straight skis for racing anymore, I don't think that Dendix helps nearly as much for training to race on modern skis.

Yup - however the snow domes are so expensive they dont allow large groups of kids to train 3 or 4 times a week all year round. Hillends track record (and in particular that of LSRA) is very impressive. The number of top level skiers who have who started out, or trained, at Hillend over the years is simply amazing. Amongst them several BASI ISTDs / trainers, top level freestyle skiers, UK champions and also the fore mentioned Olympic athletes.

Plus the 130 000 other visitors and school groups who all learn how to snowplough turn there.....

For sure Dendex might not be cool compared to 'real' snow - however grass roots facilities, such as Hillend are so important to the health of the sport in the UK.
latest report
roga wrote:
Not even on the Scottish mountains? (You know I just had to ask that Rob Wink )
Yup, I knew that was coming. Move them a bit closer to the South East and Ill be a frequent visitor. But at the moment it's easier for me to get to my place in Les Arcs than it is to get to the Scottish Highlands.
latest report
^ LOL, how predictable am I! Toofy Grin

Yeah, 'tis easier to the Alps from where you are, I guess I'm far enough to the west to make it more worthwhile heading north ... which is what I'm gonna be doing within the next hour or so! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
There are some corking old photographs on that Facebook group.
snow report
Yep, another 60s beginner at Hillend..................................

I agree plastic is horrid.

No snodomes near me either........................ Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it needs to be sold to a private operator. At the moment it's being run by a council with public sector approach, no wonder it's losing money. I'm sure it could be profitable if run more commercially.
snow conditions
snowrider wrote:
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/savehillend/

Please sign the petition if you would like to show your support.

Response:

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to sign this e-petition, which we regret was accepted in error. As you may be aware, following devolution, the issues raised in this e-petition fall within the remit of the Scottish Executive. You may wish to contact them direct to share your concerns about this matter. Please visit http://www.scotland.gov.uk/About/Contacts for contact details.

Very helpful. Not.
snow report
I once 'tested' Hillend for the Sunday Times, in a comparative review of the best artificial ski slopes across Britain. It was magic going up there, early in the morning, with the scent of damp bracken in the air and hardly anyone around.

One legendary tale about Hillend concerns ex-British ski racer [name withheld, for the moment], who had a job in the equipment rental department and succeeded in melting a ski boot on a radiator.

Sadly, the golden era of plastic slopes is clearly over.
ski holidays
Maersk
Quote:

No snodomes near me either

Isn't Xscape Castleford within reasonable striking distance for you Puzzled We can get there in an hour from Stockton....
snow report
mountainaddict, only 210 miles. Doesn't really cross my mind to go there instead of Braehead in Glasgow, just over an hour away wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy