Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski recommendation needed. Please!

Poster: A snowHead
D G Orf wrote:
ise, bizarely I can actually think of uses for a Goretex Scarf if it was say lined with fleece Shocked

well, I wasn't really going to release this information yet as the product's not quite ready...but...

we're hoping to get a hybrid of the scarf and ski, we're thinking if we make the ski a little stiffer it'll make quite a good scarf. They'll be our crossover product as well with our revolutionary binding system :

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alan Craggs," but then they don't have wood inside so they must be carp"
The new core material for the millenium ! Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Non-wood cores also ......

1) are more likely to be killed with a core-shot (a hole that goes through the base of the ski normally caused by a rock). Wood will dry out foam breaks down when wet.
2) generally have a shorter life. (i.e. lose their camber / life)
3) Bend out of shape much more easily.

but they do tend to be lighter and softer so may be a better ski for the less "big boned".

Skis like the Pocket Rocket and 1080 are great skis for getting started in the powder though.

As a general rule I will rent a non-wood core (but throw it back if the life has been thrashed out of it) and tend to buy wood core skis.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 9-03-05 13:15; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have some X-Mountain Tours, which have a non-wood core. They're fine, really, to ski on.

It's just when I get on a wooden ski, it feels so much better !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise wrote:
We'll mostly be stocking the Daily Mail of course.

I'm busy taking deep breaths and counting to 10.

DB wrote:
Skis like the Pocket Rocket and 1080 are great skis for getting started in the powder though.

Thanks DB, useful info. Skiing powder is probably the strongest element of my skiing so I'm not looking for something to help me too much in that area. I'm assuming that any mid-fat will be OK at least - certainly 'better' than the equipment I was using 10/15 years ago.

Re: wooden cores. Well, I like looking at the wood throught the translucent exterior on my K2s - this is about as technical as I get. I think I might get kicked out of the rental shop if I start asking what the core is made of Smile. They're probably going to assume I'm crap (or a carp) anyway because I'm British.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ise wrote:

You've got to accept that most manufacturers use composites for one reason only and that's to reduce manufacturing cost.

I think this is bringing a bit of confusion to the term composite. All skis are a composite construction. The only ski's you'll find that aren't are hanging on a reataurant wall, solid wood and no metal edges.

Foam as core material is not a composite in itself, being a single component material. Add some glass, carbon or aramid fibre and a dose of resin and you have a composite ski. Exactly the same holds for wood as a core material although wood itself can be regarded as a natural composite of cellulose fibres a binder .

Foam cores have a reputation for breaking down with age causing the ski to lose some of its natural spring, wood suffers from this a lot less.

How good are the latest foam cores? Is the reputation still valid is the real question.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rich wrote:
How good are the latest foam cores? Is the reputation still valid is the real question.

Let's see:
1. Salomon use foam cores in most (all?) of their skis
2. Most Salomon skis are crap. (By "crap" I mean they make bad skiers think they are better skiers, and good skier die of boredom waiting for a bit of response)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As always, a diplomatic comment from The Ambassador Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alan Craggs, one does one's best to maintain a modicum of decorum.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, so why are they so expensive?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hayley t, because if they were cheap, then they would be Ratner Skis. But by keeping the price a bit higher, people think they are getting a better ski.
...and a lot of people REALLY like them, but much of that has to do with my second point above. If it makes you think you are a better skier than you really are, then you'll want to ski it.
I remember skiing on a pair of Crossmax 10s (I think) in Snowbird a couple of years back. I just did one or two runs on them. I could lean forward, or lean back, and the skis just kept going fine. They didn't challenge me to have a good stance. But then, if I wanted to open them up, and go for a bit of higher speed fun, there was nothing there. No response.
Compare that to my current skis. If I get at all in the backseat, they throw me. But, when I'm in the right place, I can work the skis, and they rip.

I guess you could liken it to Americans and cars. Many American cars have softer suspension than we would have. They are designed for comfort. But when you start turning, the car is all over the road. A European car will have stiffer suspension, which means it holds the road better when turning and at higher speeds, but when you go over bumps, you feel them more.

If you just want a comfortable cruise, go Salomon. If you want performance and fun, then maybe look elsewhere.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alan empty, my favourite skis so far have been Fischer RX4 and RX6 (I'm not as experienced or tall as you, so the 8s would have been too much for me). I'd go for Fischer but then I'm biased as I experienced my first proper carved turns in them!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hayley t, because most of you will pay for them Very Happy

I just (an hour ago) paid 845chf (375 quid) for a pair of real skis, Stöckli laser SC's with carve plates and tyrolia free flex plus 15's on them, and they're leaning against cupbord next to me right now Very Happy Nice weather round Thun direction towards the Jungfrau BTW..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise, I have the Tyrolia FFP14 on my Heads. Very nice binding.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Blimey, I didn't realise there was such an anti Salomon camp on here. I do remember similiar horror stories around wood cores warping not so long ago.....

This thread highlights the reason why demoing skis is good, one person's favourite ski may be hated by the next person.

Personally I have cranked my 1080s a fair bit on wide open pistes, with plenty of room, and never had a problem carving them a highish speeds, granted they were nothing like as fast as a GS ski I've tested, but then I wouldn't take that GS ski off piste !

regards,

greg
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, see above! It was the first time both myself and Mr T (Crossmax) had used Salomon and while they made skiing steeper runs easier, we both preferred the Fischer's of the previous years. You're right about the speed issue, the Atomic skis tore down the less steep runs and seemed precise but the Salomon's were not so good and I didn't feel as safe at speed. I definitely noticed the difference there. On the steeper runs, the Salomons were easier to turn and I tend not to go fast anyway when steep so the grip etc. at higher speeds wasn't as issue there. I fell over twice on the Atomics (in 3 days!) but not at all on the Salomons so maybe the answer is there. The shop didn't have any Fischer skis left this time. Next year I intend to get an earlier flight!
ski holidays
same binding I think, the plus 15 just has a higher din range.

I'm going to have to move these skis, it's putting me off, I'll have to go ski them tomorrow.
ski holidays
ise, I don't buy! At the rate I go through skis, I'd be buying my 5th pair in 3 years which I definitely can't afford! That equates to several holidays wink
latest report
hayley t, that's pretty incredible, how much do you ski? I'm only on my second pair of the season.
ski holidays
hayley t, actually, I suppose a better question might be, what are doing to them?
ski holidays
ise, I'm just fickle, I don't wreck them! I like variety wink

Seriously, if I found a good all round ski I'd buy them but I have to persuade Mr T first that it's a good idea.
latest report
hayley t, is it even just a case of finding a good ski though? Understanding what I even like about a ski has taken me years before trying to actually find a ski I like. You can do season rental over here which is pretty good for a lot of people.
snow report
gregh,

Agree, A good friend of mine went on last years Fall line test and acknowledged that K2 were making a great batch of skis and he still replaced his old X screams with new ones. I don't know how they compare with each other but I know what he can ski and he doesn't do half bad on them. He is pretty hard to follow down the mountain on them, I know that..!!
snow conditions
ise,
Quote:

Understanding what I even like about a ski ....

I'm still undertaking that process, so it will be a while.
snow report
OK, thanks again everyone. I thought I'd summarise my thoughts and see what you think.
Here's my list:

Atomic M:b5 (172)
Dynastar Legend 8000s (172)
Fischer RX8 (170)
Head iXRC 1100 SWs (170)
Head iM75 (170)
K2 Apache Recon (167 or 174)
Rossignol B2 (170 or 176)
Volkl 724 EXP (170)

ise, I'd like to add some Stöckli skis. What do you think - Stormrider XL or AT maybe?

marc gledhill has recommended going short - I'm guessing a size smaller than the sizes above. Anyone else have any thoughts on that? As you can see from my 1st post I've been skiing for a few years on 181 K2 Axis Mod X Pros so I'm thinking initially that I wouldn't drop too much.

I might try some 1080s (if they have any) at the end of the week just to see how they compare.
snow conditions
alan, When you opened the topic, you mentioned you were looking at 170-175. I'd guess something one size down, say 165-170, so some of the sizes listed will probably be fine.

I've gone down the same road, from 200 to 184 to 176 over the last five years or so and I'm 5'11" and 180/185 lbs.
latest report
alan empty,

Looks a very nice lot of work you have there. And I would agree with most. Not sure that the 1100 is an off-piste type ski, thought it was a piste blaster. Try the iM75 in 178 if you are over 6ft and 13 st and the B2 in 176 both very good in deep snow and turney enough on piste.
Like the sound on the Volkl, Dynastar 8000, K2 and b5 for skiing mostly off the backside. I am hoping I will get on at least one of them this weekend in Engelberg
snow conditions
alan empty,

Forgot to say the Ssh likes loves the b5 in 162...!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alan empty wrote:
OK, thanks again everyone. I thought I'd summarise my thoughts and see what you think.
Here's my list:

Atomic M:b5 (172)
Dynastar Legend 8000s (172)
Fischer RX8 (170)
Head iXRC 1100 SWs (170)
Head iM75 (170)
K2 Apache Recon (167 or 174)
Rossignol B2 (170 or 176)
Volkl 724 EXP (170)

ise, I'd like to add some Stöckli skis. What do you think - Stormrider XL or AT maybe?

marc gledhill has recommended going short - I'm guessing a size smaller than the sizes above. Anyone else have any thoughts on that? As you can see from my 1st post I've been skiing for a few years on 181 K2 Axis Mod X Pros so I'm thinking initially that I wouldn't drop too much.

I might try some 1080s (if they have any) at the end of the week just to see how they compare.

If you are happy with your Mod X Pros then I reckon the K2 Apache Recon (in a 174) should be top of your list, but do try a few on that list. If you try the 1080's be sure to give em some speed on a hard piste.
latest report
JT wrote:
alan empty,
Like the sound on the Volkl, Dynastar 8000, K2 and b5 for skiing mostly off the backside.

I generally find they work better using my feet...but whatever works for you! Very Happy
snow report
GrahamN,

And that happens a lot...LOL!!
ski holidays
that looks like a great list, I'd really be interested in how you get on with them, esp if you try the 1080 as well Very Happy

Whatever you go with it'll be fun trying!
latest report
Thanks everyone. I'll probably not find any of them in Verbier and be forced to choose between skis that I've never heard of! I'm hopeful that I can find a few - I'm assuming the B2s will be relatively easy to find at least.

I'll let you know how I get on.
snow report
alan empty wrote:

The XL is a fine ski, I tested some at the weekend (a real test, they gave me the skis and I didn't give them money). But, if you get to try Stöckli then try the Laser SC as well. It's an extraordinary ski, it's a hybrid slalom/gs race ski, on piste performance is just incredible, it handles just fine in powder as well. The SC have more grip than a bucket of glue and a totally smooth repsonse curve at any speed.
snow conditions
Thanks ise. I've added...

Stöckli Stormrider XL (174)
Stöckli Laser SC (168)

A free test? Wow, that must be nice.
latest report
alan empty, proper tests are free. If you're paying then you're just renting. (also, if you're really testing, they'll give you a card or questionnaire to fill out for each ski you test)
snow report
free tests are normally just for a few hours as well. (well the ones I've tried in Europe are)
latest report
gregh, true. If you can get in 3 or 4 runs per ski, that's about all you'll get (but should also be all you'll need for an initial opinion)
snow conditions
alan empty wrote:
Thanks ise. I've added...

Stöckli Stormrider XL (174)
Stöckli Laser SC (168)

A free test? Wow, that must be nice.

When you buy you also get 2 yrs insurance on damage, 1 yr on theft, several coffees, 4chf for ever 10km you came from home up to some max of course, three services and an age flexing 40 odd pairs of skis to find the flex you want (as hand made they differ). Totally Swiss .....

Tests are for weekends when Stöckli set them up as well.
latest report
ise, Stöckli Laser SC, oooh what fun! Not sure that ski belongs in the same group with a B2; the tenacious edge hold, deep smooth rebound, and silky poured-chocolate-smooth speed of it make me think of a Brazilian dancer next to a housewife on a Schlag-torte diet. I had to take the first 2 full days to appreciate how impossible it was for me to destroy the SC with stomping gorilla turns, and the next three to develop the light feet it demands among trees.

Sadly, couldn't keep them. Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy