Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where would you ski next week if you could?

Poster: A snowHead
hi - we cancelled a short break to Sauze D'oulx a week ago coz snow conditions were so bad...
Have left it to the last minute now to book to travel overnight on Friday...
So.... where to go?
We are thinking maybe Alpe D'huez or Flaine... any inside info on snow conditions/weather forecast etc... Alpe D looks v good on the (dont mention name of site) rep report - but cant understand why coz rest of that area is not great...

So any suggestions? thanks snowheads.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you restricted to France? If not go to Austria - very cold still and snowing this week in most of the Tirol and Salzburg region. Most resorts are having the best season for 15 years. My favourites for intermediate level are Saalbach and Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wengen has fresh powder wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd ski Vail next week.

Just to find my way around, and get some turns in before the week after, when I WILL be skiing in Vail. Very Happy

Or maybe I'd go to Whistler before going to Vail.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jayne durham, Anywhere in Northern Alps should be great.... we are off to Les Gets on Thursday ( French ATC and the airports permitting) ... great snow around there today according to someone who lives there ... and warmer weather next week. Yippee..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Surrey.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll agree with Elizabeth B, Wengen looks very good at the moment. But then I would say that Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks guys
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apologies........Off topic but hopefully warranted as I'm very concerned !!

Newbie50, have I missed something about French ATC then ?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timberwolf, There is French General strike Thursday for 'Public Sector' workers. It has already been confirmed that it extends to SNCF, power workers. However, ATC and other public sector aviation workers will not be calling their position until tomorrow. At the moment these 'strikes' have been limited to Thursdays only so no cause for worry ... yet. It has all snowballed a little this week though.

We are supposed to be flying NCE-GVA first thing Thursday , hence my concern . Tomorrow will know for definite.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Newbie50, Thanks for clearing that up for me. I fly into GVA on Saturday so hopefully this won't affect me. I also hope your flights are unaffected

Diversion over.............. sorry for hijacking this thread
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
feel free to divert! Hope flights are ok for you.... We'll be driving.
Still wish someone would clear up the mystery about why a southerly resort like Alpe D seems to be "excellent" - when other resorts in that area have really struggled this year!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timberwolf, Please don't mention Hijacking and flights in the same sentence!! Smile
some of us are nervous flyers !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm off to Tignes on Saturday. As far as I know most places in the northern alps are doing ok.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jayne durham, Not quite sure what you mean - all in all the area is not that 'big' but .. . Alpe d'Huez is claiming similar conditions to other resorts in the Dauphine/Isere as far as I can make out. However the real Alpes Sud are having a rough time of it. Amazing thing seems to be when you fly North-South ( or vice versa) that this year there appears to be a 20-30km 'gap' in the snow between the Alpes Maritimes and Alpes Nord. I'm not even going to guess at the meteorological implications or reasons behind it.

One resort in the Alpes Maritime seems to judge its snow condition by its ability to generate artificial snow though ! Might explain some thing?
snow report
Timberwolf, .. and apologies for giving you the colly-wobbles unnecessarily.

Have you heard about the major roadworks and resultant tailbacks around Geneva airport Twisted Evil ?? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
jayne durham, .. but I should have added ... but as you have the choice, go a little further North and/or East. MY eyesight tells me that there is more snow in those directions ( brave statement from 25,000 feet) ...
ski holidays
Not sure I'm talking to you now Newbie50, Razz
snow conditions
We have been keeping a close eye on snow conditions for the last few weeks & have booked to go to Flaine on Saturday. Snow is looking good - still coming down for the next few days according to most of the forecasts too. On the downside it's flippin' freezing - I have invested in a new thermal top!

Snow reports & webcams here
latest report
Personally, if I could ski anywhere at the weekend I'd go to the Val D'Annivers... in fact I am..
snow report
I still maintain that we need an "extremly jealous" smiley
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, you need to learn to let go of your negative emotions. At least I'm not going away with Scott Dunn this time.
latest report
Going green or Mr. Green maybe ?
snow conditions
Ski Bunny, are you there for a week? I'm out there from 17th to the 20th and Ise may be around then too.
snow report
Yes, I think we're there (Morillon) 18&19th and then Grindelwald on the 20th. We were just talking about it actually.
ski holidays
ise, both would suffice. Where may I obtain these, or do i just have to sit and wallow in my jealousy.
Kramer, One day mate, one day Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Austria!!!!!
Off to Soll and Johnboy reliably informs us there is powder and beer!!!!!
ski holidays
it's just

Code:
:gogreen:

and

Code:
:mrgreen:
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Newbie - dont understand your veiled comment about one resort in Alpe Maritimes that generates snow??? Where are the Alpes Maritimes my geography is not that good...
Got the comment about Flaine - but having trouble finding any accommodation there... And we know we can get somewhere in Alpe D...
latest report
jayne durham, try Les Carroz, Morillon or Samoens. They have Hotels as well as apartments, in fact my brother-in-law had to cancel a booking 12th to 20th at Hotel Arbaron [Arbaron@wanadoo.fr], Les Carroz, because my sister-in-law became pregnant so you may be able to get that room.
snow conditions
jayne durham, Oops wasn't trying to confuse. I stupidly assumed everyone knows every bit of France..

Being totally simplistic the Alpes Maritime are the Alps bordering the Mediterranean and the resort I referred to is Valberg which 'guarantees' 80% snow cover but has been no more than 1/2 open for most of this year. This is MUCH further South than Alpe d'Huez.

Not sure if this will help you but the following map of French resorts will undoubtedly have been posted before.

http://www.ski-ride-france.com/carte/carte.php?tri=5

The lowest bit of this map is about 20kms from the costline --- you should find Alpe d'Huez about a 1/3 of the way up and slightly to the West . The snow that everyone is raving about on this Thread is North and slightly East of there as it were.

For more on current and future weather do try www.skifrance.fr there is English navigation I believe and look at the current snow information. Unless anyone else would care to disagree .. try the 'Savoie' and 'Haute Savoie' resorts --- all seem very 'White' at present ... most people, and notably Meteo France, are predicting higher temperatures in the mountains next week.

I hope this helps rather than hinders.
snow report
If I could I'd go to Banff! You know what, I think I will Very Happy Flying out on Saturday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
marc gledhill wrote:
jayne durham, try Les Carroz, Morillon or Samoens. They have Hotels as well as apartments, in fact my brother-in-law had to cancel a booking 12th to 20th at Hotel Arbaron [Arbaron@wanadoo.fr], Les Carroz, because my sister-in-law became pregnant so you may be able to get that room.

and if you search the forums you'll find recommendations for bois de la char at Les Carroz, never stayed there but I have lunch there all the time and its a great location and nice place.
ski holidays
Jayne, can I suggest La Rosiere, snow conditioons are superb at the moment and we have some space. We can do a deal and you'd be sure of a warm welcome.
latest report
jayne durham, email David@traxvax & come to La Rosiere with Deb and myself. Snow is currently 250cm up top and 100cm around the village.
ski holidays
jayne durham, Have you tried the Aujon or Le Totem (Totem is Crystal TO, but they do sometimes take extras) The snow in Flaine is as described below by the resident ski club rep as:

Another wonderful day in the Grand Massif- perfect snow, perfect weather- hey ho!! Cold temperatures maintaining snow, excellent piste skiing at all levels; only occasional drifting mist high up. Off-piste still powder, with a light dusting of new snow overnight.

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
christianmurray, See earlier threads regarding Ski club snow reports......... Smile
snow conditions
Newbie50 wrote:
Alpe d'Huez is claiming similar conditions to other resorts in the Dauphine/Isere as far as I can make out.

I don't know what they are claiming but ADH and LDA probably have the worst cover of the Isère resorts... but they are big. If I was skiing today in the Isère (oh blow me, I am!) I would go to the Sept Laux, St Pierre en Chartreuse or one of the Vercors resorts. Obviously these are too small to keep UK skiers busy.

Otherwise it would be a western Savoie/HS resort with plenty of mid-altitude skiing as this is where some of the best snow is at the mo. Somewhere like la Clusaz in the Aravis or Megève. It is not every March you get to ski these resorts with fantastic snow.
latest report
davidof, I think you are agreeing with me (?) .. I was simply following up on jayne durham's original thread which was about the geography of the 'Southern Alps' and AdH claim about great snow. Totally envious of you skiing today, I have to wait until tomorrow Going green
snow report
boredsurfin, ????? can you point me in the right direction? Blush
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy