Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I love skiing, but...."skiiers are arogant"

Poster: A snowHead
Another forum that I use has separate sections for discussions only in Welsh, Gaelic and Cornish!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen Beaumont, good idea. One of the instructors in Les Gets will do the same for me but I prefer if he practices his English during the technical bits Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In general maybe this is a ski resort thing more than anything else; ski resorts seem to be a law unto themselves and are more like 'language neutral holiday camps' at times rather than real foreign towns and I recall Lizzard recently listing the split of different nationalities visiting L2A which actually meant that (if I can remember correctly) only 25% of those at the resort were French (probably even including those living there), so is it necessarily rude if you do not initiate a discussion in a bar/shop in French ? Probably but not the end of the world perhaps.

Hurtle wrote:
Actually, I had the experience many years ago, of being given the cold shoulder in a pub in rural Wales - not too far from St David's if I recall correctly - because our group was speaking in English. Does that still happen in parts of Wales?

I am told it does happen sometimes, but as you were perhaps in a Welsh speaking location (whereby more people speak Welsh perhaps even in comparison to those that speak French in a Brit filled French ski resort) a simple 'good day' in the local language might have been good manners as you would have similarly done on a ski holiday wink and broken the ice, but as a non native Welsh speaker myself I am not sure though wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They probably thought you were going to hit on their girlfriends, best to put them at ease by saying you are in no way attracted to sheep. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As a two year old my little boy soon learnt that if he said bonjour and merci in a shop he would be given a sweet by the shop assistant snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB,
Quote:

They probably thought you were going to hit on their girlfriends,
You talking to me? I'm not that way inclined! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rayscoops, actually it was more like 44%, and the figures refer only to people buying full day or multi-day passes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sometimes it's not even about language, its about behaviour. On a Eurostar journey I waited for ages so that two young French guys could drag their suitcases up the aisle. They then walked past without saying thank you". I was gobsmiacked Shocked and proceded to let them know what I thought of them. On returning to my seat, my Francophile friend informed me that it was just their cultural norm that people would move out of the way to let you pass and no thank you was needed.
We see - rude, arrogant French people
They see - overly polite Brits

Generally, good behaviour is universal - friendly, nice and approachable usually means more forgiveness for language/cultural errors. Being a total $%*() is the same whichever country you're in!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, wow, in that case I never had you down as a sheep fetish type wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last week in Lech we went out for a couple of days with the ski hosting group from the chalet. I did cringe a bit when even the ski host ordered in English and couldn't even manage to say 'danke schoen' when drinks arrived. No-one else in the group made any effort and I got a bit sneered at with 'ooh, speak german do we?' I am by no means any hot shot with language but I can manage 'ein heisse schokolade ohne sahne und ein kaffee bitte' and 'die Rechnung bitte', with the odd Gruss Gott, Guten Morgen & Vielen dank thrown in. I also found it a bit weird after I'd just made a mangled effort at ordering lunch to hear a large group of either Norwegians or Fins ordering their lunch, in English - I could have saved myself the bother!

I always like ordering chips in Austria - there's something very satisfying about pronouncing 'pommes' as 'pommers' Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy,

While in Austria use "Schlagobers" instead of "Sahne" for better results.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman wrote:
glasgowcyclops wrote:
I used to be a taxt driver in Loch Lomond. It was common place for drivers to simply ping the "boot open" button on their car and let little old ladies struggle getting their shopping out of the boot.

Did they even help them through the air lock? wink

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Not quite ayellow submarine Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
Am I the only one to be suspicious of the good manners of people who boast how well-mannered they are? wink

No indeed, in fact, I think it may be rather ill-mannered, to boast about how well-mannered one is wink , just as it is rather rude, to point out how rude someone else is!

cathy, I don't get the sneering thing, it is annoying, although it has only happened to me on one or two occasions. The group we normally ski with are keen to try German, but are on the whole Not Very Good, and know it, so generally ordering a meal involves 9 people yelling their order to me 'D, can you ask him (the waiter) for a large beer and a schnitzel and chips please', errmm...well I think he might have got that, he does speak English better than most of you lot. The Austrians usually smirk and are pretty good-humoured about it though, I have never encountered anyone expecting me to speak German, and even on one of my bad days, when I do speak German, they normally make a big deal about how brilliant my German is (it isn't!).

I think it's a matter of pride to lots of Austrians, the hospitality industry is treated as more of a respected profession than here I think, so being a waiter isn't just something you do between 18 and 21 to sub your student loan. They take pride in being good hosts and speaking good English is part of that.

When I lived in Austria, I actually had trouble getting anyone to let me speak German as they were all so keen to practice their English, which was at times frustrating as I was there to learn German!

I have experienced snootiness about my less than perfect French in France, but I am pretty sure it was from snooty individuals rather than a national snootiness.

I have to say I really hated the feeling of isolation the one day I spent in Slovenia when I literally didn't speak a work of Slovenian, I couldn't even ask for a bottle of water. It was a very odd and not pleasant feeling and I would hate to be like that wherever I went.

DB, I like to use Austrian vocab/dialect where possible, and to be honest, as that is what I learnt when I lived there, it is what automatically comes out if I'm not thinking about it, it would never cross my mind to use some of the 'German' equivalents, but I sometimes flummox people with my Anglo-kaerntnerisch, you can see them thinking...you're not from Salzburg, I think you're English, so why are you saying 'oachtel'. In Germany people generally hear my Austrian accent before they hear my English accent.

D
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Deliaskis, I can mumble a few German words and numbers and pronounce things from the menu, and my mates were very happy with that, especially when I told them they could simply say 'Morgan' any time before 12 mid-day which was easy for a Welshman to remember, especially the ones called Morgan in the group Very Happy
snow conditions
In German, I can say ..... "Ich habe kein hund". Which is of fairly limited use really. Laughing
snow conditions
"Ich habe keinen Hund" is much more useful Wink
snow report
laundryman wrote:
pam w, +1
I've spent a lot of time in Ireland in recent years and they're definitely more polite than the English in that regard. The hotel in Dublin was full of Italian rugby supporters this week. They were very well behaved.

That's becuase they were rugby supporters - if the hotal was full of Italian football fans you wouldn't have been so impressed Very Happy
ski holidays
As I mainly get my snow-fix in North America, I've always found the standard of English passable. wink

However i do always find myself decending into what has become known as UltraEnglish, my usual south london speech is tranformed on landing into the Queen English - really i can't help myself - i'm surprised i don't start riding with a bowler hat and tightly furled umbrella...
ski holidays
Deliaskis wrote:
No indeed, in fact, I think it may be rather ill-mannered, to boast about how well-mannered one is wink , just as it is rather rude, to point out how rude someone else is!

Pot kettle black Laughing

France is the only place I've been to where the natives have the expectation that you speak their language. It's rude Toofy Grin Everywhere else they understand that it's unrealistic to expect visitors to speak their language. Learning to say a couple of phrases in the local language is an appreciated nicety everywhere but no one gets huffy if you don't. That'd be rude Toofy Grin Particularly if they want you to come back. Some peoples with very different languages may have difficulty learning to say even these simple phrases.

And as far as addressing people in foreign lands in English goes, seems perfectly reasonable to expect them to speak English if these people are part of a service industry where they regularly deal with international clients. Very Happy
ski holidays
slikedges, I'd be interested to hear where you expect to find an army of fluent Englush-speaking staff in a mountain village with a population of 2000. Laughing
snow report
I certainly haven't found an 'expectation' that we will speak French in Monetier. They are pleased when we try, and we manage conversations in a mixture of French and English. Hilariously!! If they don't speak English it doesn't make them any less friendly. Some of the friendliest villagers do not speak English at all. Monetier has a permanent population of around a 1000 residents. English is becoming more regularly spoken, but I actually think it is a shame rather than an improvement.
snow report
slikedges, it would be interesting to know the exact circumstances which led to the view you have of the French.
ski holidays
Lizzard, most Italian mountain villages for a start...

but I feel better if I can get by a bit in the local lingo.
snow conditions
I think youre all being uneccessarily hard on Brits about the whole language thing.

Think about the millions of people in Europe who live in border regions within earshot of one, perhaps two foreign languages...Zermatt springs to mind. Bi-lingual households not uncommon, local newsagents stock newspapers in several foreign languages, you hear the same divers languages flicking through TV channels, etc...Exposure to foreign languages begins from day one.

Compare that with England/English. No other European language is spoken so exclusively than English is spoken in England, largely due to our location (an island, in case you forgot!), and our history, where up to a fifth of the worlds population was under English speaking authority.

These factors alone offer significant justification for our ineptitude at languages. When you consider also that English is the worlds language for business, medicine, law, tourism, entertainment, media, etc..., then i really dont have a problem with monolingugal brits.

Not bothering to learn a few foreign phrases is lazy and a bit discourteous to your host country, working in the hospitality sector with no English skills is naive.

Language aside, as someone who has lived in Austria for 7 years, i can categorically state that Brits are infinitely more polite than the locals, here in Vienna at least. Monty Python, Cricket and good music have all been very successful English exports but trust me, common courtesy doesnt seem to have caught on!

Sp8rs!
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, we see a zillion Italians here every week and rather few of them have a significant level of anything other than Italian. So I don't believe you. NehNeh

In my experience:

Italians - equally as likely to speak French as English, significant proportion don't manage either.
Russians - usually neither, don't know if they're likely to speak something else. German?
Other East Europeans - more likely English than French, often neither
Dutch - fluent English, often some French as well.
Belgians - French, Flemish. Flamands don't seem to speak English.
Spaniards - Spanish. Usually cheerful and a bit apologetic about their lack of language.
Brits - generally give it a go in French
Random French Canadian - French, allegedly, though I had no idea what he was on about
Laughing
latest report
Lizzard, I didn't say they all spoke it... but most of those who live in Italian Mountain villages and work above cleaner/dishwasher level will have some English and German.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, well if that's all anyone wants, you should find adequate linguistic skills anywhere. I have colleagues who blatantly don't speak English and would never claim to do so, but can pick out key words such as (for example) 'lessons' and 'instructor' and respond with 'inside' and 'ESF ski school'. I can do much the same in Italian. I had the impression from posts on here that people were expecting fluent conversation.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother wrote:
Lizzard, I didn't say they all spoke it... but most of those who live in Italian Mountain villages and work above cleaner/dishwasher level will have some English and German.

Don't count on it, I have met two piste patrollers in different resorts in the Aosta valley who didn't speak any English, they both spoke a bit of French but still less than I did. Maybe the one in Gressoney would have had some German.
ski holidays
rjs, are you familiar with the word "most" ? wink
latest report
Let's be realistic here. If you walk into a three star plus hotel you have a right to expect English-speaking staff at least on the reception desk, and probably in the bar and restaurant as well. On the other hand, if you're just eating in a local restaurant, drinking in a bar or even buying lift tickets or being rescued, you can count it a bonus. Employers try to recruit linguists (look at the ads on ANPE) but at the end of the day they will take people with an appropriate balance of skills, and language is merely desirable whereas cash handling experience, waiting skills, customer service qualifications, decent references etc etc blah are essential.

Incidentally, there are quite a lot of competent English people floating around the Alps, but they can't get work outside the TO/Brit bars bubble because they don't speak French despite having worked here for numerous seasons.
snow report
Lizzard, the issue isn't the local staff speaking English. The issue is them being obstructive or obnoxious when visitors don't speak the local lingo. Obviously if they speak English that's going to help the business, but if they don't and are friendly, that's still fine.

BTW I'm in Nendaz at the moment. Just about everyone (not the cashier in the supermarket) I have had to speak to so far speaks better English than I speak French (not difficult but it's not like I usually have any difficulty getting by most places). I'd expect this in Verbier but not so much Nendaz. (and yes I do realise I'm paying in SFr wink )

Hurtle, when I think back, I can't remember any specific situations (I'm pretty thick skinned so wouldn't have been phased), just the general impression that the French were rude and not just in Paris. I didn't used to speak basic functional French many years ago and I'm pretty sure there were instances of rudeness then which would have informed my opinion. I do remember being in an ESF office in Les Arcs 1800 5 years ago though and seeing the girl at the counter give a perfectly polite Englishman a hard time pretending not to understand him when I had observed her not 5 minutes earlier having a grammatically incorrect but perfectly well communicated conversation with an English (presumably chalet) girl. These days I guess it's actually sustained mainly from tales told by others Embarassed but people who are good opinions NehNeh . Like I said before I think they're getting better generally.
latest report
slikedges, your evidence is thin, to put it mildly. But you're obviously conscious of that yourself. wink
ski holidays
Whitegold ..... get over yourself.

G
snow conditions
Quote:

The issue is them being obstructive or obnoxious when visitors don't speak the local lingo

So given that they aren't, there isn't an issue is there? Why were we all rabbiting on about this again? Puzzled
snow report
I ordered a beer in English in a hotel bar/cafe on Nyon (Morzine) a few years ago and the bar man told me (in perfect English) I should be ordering it in French because I was in France ! In my defence every bar/cafe person that had initiated a conversation with me ('what can I get you' type thing) had been in English in every bar I had been in the previous four days, I assume because they heared me talking in English to my mates at the time.

Does that count as a bit stroppy ?

edit - i would normally order in the language of the country so not sure why I did not do so this time, it was a large open air hotel/recention/cafe/mountain establishment type place and I was the only person there (except for some loud English guests/workers coming in and out) and my order in English for two beers just sort of slipped out Shocked

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 11-02-10 14:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

The issue is them being obstructive or obnoxious when visitors don't speak the local lingo

So given that they aren't, there isn't an issue is there? Why were we all rabbiting on about this again? Puzzled

Because there is an impression, often rightly IMO, that english people & skiers can be a bit rude/ignorant when abroad. Specifically in their efforts to communicate with locals in the service industries. This is proven by the number of people saying as the customer it's their right to act how they want or that english is the main conversant language internationally now so why shouldn't they. This particular group of people then tried to turn it around saying it's only french who have this attitude towards the english, which i don't personally believe is true &, to blame the french. As opposed to acknowledging their own failings & just trying to be a little more polite.

Or to put it another way. As my mother says good manners cost nothing & it takes little or no effort to learn a few simple phrases in the local tongue.
ski holidays
rayscoops, whatever your reason for ordering in English, I agree that that is clear evidence of stroppiness!
snow report
It may have nothing to do with a language barrier, more the staff are working flat out, whereas we are in holiday mode and faffing about, dilly dallying, so are winding them them up when they are under pressure. Who amongst us never gets a little short with some customers, especially if we know they won't be repeat business
ski holidays
Slightly off-topic rolling eyes but the people whose attitude I can never understand are the TO reps who man the transfer coaches. IME they almost always speak such poor English that we (native English-speaking Brit tourists) can hardly understand their inane waffle and they speak absolutely no local lingo at all. If the coach driver doesn't speak quite good English (and why should he??), there's no way to communicate with the rep eg, 'how much longer will it take to reach resort?', 'can you go to hotel A before hotel B, please?', etc.

I know all the arguments about TO reps being paid peanuts, etc, etc but these are people who live in a foreign country for, at least, a few weeks / months and whose job necessarily involves regular interaction with local service providers - hotels, maintenance men, coach drivers, etc. It''s one thing to be a tourist in a hotel for a week or two and not speak the lingo (although IMV it's only polite for tourists to, at least, be able to be polite in the local language) but how the reps have the brass neck to live somewhere all season and still not be able to speak even the most basic local language is beyond me.

This is an example of where Brits' attitudes differ from other nationalities - I can't believe any, say, German, Italian or even Japanese TO reps working regularly in England (or anywhere else for that matter) would be entirely unable to communicate in the local language.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy