Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to from Annecy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've got a hotel booked in Annecy next Friday night on our trip (for half term!) to Les Trois Vallees.

We could get up early Saturday morning, drive to 3v and ski the Saturday - since this is changeover day it should be relatively quiet. But as we've already planning to ski the following Saturday before the return journey, we could ski the first Saturday somewhere a lot nearer Annecy, and then drive down to 3v early evening. Either option should avoid the worst of the traffic!

Any suggestions where to go? Les Saises/NDdB is close to Annecy, and from discussions here seems an area to visit one day: is this practical? Any other suggestions?

This is a dad-and-son trip, so luxury is not needed. Son skis better and faster than dad - but we'll both ski anything, just not looking for queues (will get plenty of those later in the week).

TIA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RobW, a quick Google produced this: http://www.lakeandalpinehomes.com/ski-resorts.php
I can remember driving to Megeve from Annecy (in the summer) many years ago, and it didn't take long at all. If it were me, I'd go there, but that's because I've never skied there and have always rather fancied the idea. (Actually, if it were me, I'd probably not bother skiing on that first day - shock, horror Shocked Laughing - but potter around Annecy and maybe have lunch in one of the many excellent hosteleries au bord du Lac. I just love Annecy and its lake.)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Clusaz should be the nearest decent size resort with D909 directly from Annecy. It is 20 miles from Annecy

Megeve, part of Domain Evasion, is a lot bigger and a bit further. It is about 38 miles using D1508/D1212.

Les Saises/NDdB is also a good choice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Word of warning - pam w tipped me off about the D1212 as I was misguidedly planning to use it - it's still undergoing significant roadworks (4 years worth) and will be open this summer. Apparently there are frequent rockfalls and it is often closed. This article http://www.ledauphine.com/le-chantier-des-gorges-de-l-arly-s-acheve-cette-annee-@/index.jspz?comnumcom=73011&article=246976 says it will reopen in July 2010 so looks like a no go at the moment. I would go to La Clusaz as it's the nearest and looks good, especially with the great snow there is at present.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're looking for NO queues whatsoever, La Giettaz (which is in between Megeve and La Clusaz) is a good option - like Megeve, it's part of the 445km Evasion Mont Blanc but it's a hell of a lot quieter (and you can ski directly to Megeve if you wanted). Good, steep slopes too...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the suggestions. La Giettaz looks like it could be an option! Will decide on the day, taking into account the weather, state of the D1212, previous days drive. etc. Any more ideas?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The gorges d'Arly barrier was open last time I saw it (last week) but it's never a reliable road. they've been working on it since forever.

I think from Annecy I'd go to La Clusaz. The roads will be very busy (though hopefully the pistes won't be) and even another 18 miles or so could take you a long time.

La Giettaz would be nice, too - though a bit further down over the Col d'Aravis (if it's a very snowy day that can be a hit hairy - La Clusaz better). I wouldn't bother with Megeve or Les Saisies - the Val d'Arly road will probably be very busy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We took the train to Annecy and remember it being a very short bus trip on from there to La Clusaz. This would be a good time to visit La Clusaz as probably the best time for snow there. We went in March and skied the odd bit of grass on the lower runs..but that was back in 2001 - maybe not a good year for snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pam W makes a good point - if it is a really snowy day and you'd rather not drive on the bends in those conditions (this pass between La Clusaz and La Giettaz is on the Tour de France route this year by the way) then I'd stick at La Clusaz. If, however, driving conditions are good then the queues/crowds at La Clusaz - at the best of times - are significantly greater than the ones just over the hill at La Giettaz.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sitting here in Annecy we seem to have made a decision! #1son says he want to ski near here and then finish the travel tomorrow night - not surprising since he's spend best part of 10hrs in the car since this time yesterday. So we'll head for La Clusaz, but if the road looks okay actually go to Manigod - but if it's very nice weather (i.e. no more snow overnight!) will try for La Giettaz. Hmm, on second thoughts, does this constitute a decision?

So if you see a big chap in a dark grey jacket and trousers, and a mad kid in a red Spyder rolling eyes jacket and helmet with a chin-guard in any of those areas tomorrow, then come and say hello!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bon vacances and happy skiing!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy