Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Briton dies in late-night ski run from mountain-top bar

Poster: A snowHead
... and it doesn't have to be a death. Skiing when blind drunk, or drunk enough still to be able to stand up on a pair of planks, can put somebody in hospital for a very long time.

Can't think of any other situation where people are almost actively encouraged (do they have any alternative?) to use a piece of machinery after being way over the limit.

Do the Mooserwirt and Krazy Kangaruh have any duty of care to their drunk clients? I've suggested above that they could maybe get together with the mountain management to pad any solid objects that their drunk clients might smash into.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i would say 'duty of care' should lie with the inividual..
if you want to have a few then ski down in the dark then do it.. its fun .. but its all your risk ..
i suppose you could argue that if someone is totally legless then he/she shouldnt be served.. but in a bar full of singing dancing people itc an be hard to see who is off their head and who isnt.. in no way should bar staff on a handfull of euros an hour expect to have to look after drunken buffoons who cant handle some beers..

if we continue to pass 'duty of care' off onto everyone else, for anything we do that it risky we are heading for living on one boring planet..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whilst I agree with you CANV CANVINGTON by and large, I do have a caveat. The austrian landlords in particular (more than the swiss and italians and much more than the french) are famous for their gemuchtlicht (excuse spelig), and do have this habit of providing rounds of homemade schnapps for tables of partying, singing drinkers. They often play a big part in getting someone drunk.

A friend of mine left a mountain bar in St A at about 6:30pm and it took him 1 and a half hours to get down the 5 minute journey and and a further hour and a half to get to the taxi rank. He had had 4 beers but had been given some schnapps whilst leaving.

He was surprised he was so pissed and when we told the landlord the following day we found out that they had given us a special schnapps which they only bring out twice a season. It was lethal.

So, I know my mate was at fault but he was goaded on a bit by the staff to "down in one"
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
B00thy, I think you've expressed that correctly. Austrian landlords actively intoxicate their customers, so they could do a little more to keep death and injury off the pistes below their taverns.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are too drunk, then walk.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith wrote:
B00thy, I think you've expressed that correctly. Austrian landlords actively intoxicate their customers, so they could do a little more to keep death and injury off the pistes below their taverns.

This would be straight forward in England.

It is illegal to serve anyone who is or appears to be drunk.

That is the law. The bar staff and the licence holder can now both be prosecuted.

I wonder if such a Law exists in Austria but is not used?

Apologies. I had forgotten I had posted a similar point to the above back in March in this thread and we have already discussed this issue rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin,
Quote:

I wonder if such a Law exists in Austria but is not used?

Get Real, Austria is famous for its Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit Very Happy

Bit like telling the Spanish to give-up bull fighting !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
......... or telling scoucers to stop nicking things.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton, Lots of towns and cities in Spain have done just that, and the bullrings are being redeveloped, so who knows what the future holds for Austria wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:

I resemble that remark Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny,

I get Spanish TV over here in The Netherlands. There is a prime time show on TV every week showing some Bullfight somewhere in Spain Very Happy

Back to Austria nearly all of these mountain bars are private residences so I doubt theres much they can do . I think 99.5% of folk ski without being intoxicated. I think we are talking here about a very very small percetage of idiots & unfortunatly they get 99% of the news.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do we ban pubs that have roadside access. C'mon get real. People know the risks. If you are goiing to ski drunk take it very slow. Also avoid driving, running, and operating dangerous machinery. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon wrote:
DB wrote:

I resemble that remark Shocked

Karm down, Karm down lad wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
This would be straight forward in England.

It is illegal to serve anyone who is or appears to be drunk.

That is the law. The bar staff and the licence holder can now both be prosecuted.
[/i]

I think that it's been the law for a long time (but I may be wrong). It is frequently and openly flouted in most pubs. Are you aware of anyone being prosecuted under the law? What might be the view of the licensed trade's trade associations if a member was prosecuted? Do licencees and bar staff in UK feel that they have a moral responsibility to their clients who they have allowed to get drunk?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 28-06-05 22:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richmond,

Yes, the Police are at last using these laws and bringing prosecutions, usually after a formal warning has had no effect. Over recent history there has only been a couple of prosecutions per year in the whole country, The authoritys have always preferred other methods to control such 'problem' pubs/landlords/staff !

The situation will be very different from November when the New licences come into effect and those involved will have their 'Personal Licences' removed by the issuing authority and not the court system.!

Recently the Govt. enabled legislation to allow on the spot fines to be issued to bar staff individually Shocked
snow report
Well great - but how does this address drunken skiing exactly?

Puzzled
ski holidays
B00thy, just continuing my quest for knowledge.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy