Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski selection advice from seasoned skiers please.

Poster: A snowHead
Apparently if someone mentions hitler the thread comes to an end.......................Hitler, Gas Chamber, Nazis.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Apparently if someone mentions hitler the thread comes to an end.......................Hitler, Gas Chamber, Nazis.

No it means you've automatically lost the argument by default & now no longer have a valid opinion in the context of the thread.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
frank4short, Awesome. No point in saying Nordica Enforcer (known as the Swastika here.)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM, yes, that's a fair point, but it doesn't really work on a forum like this, does it, because posters are from all walks of life, not just 'the ski industry'. I don't know how many of the experts on this thread (acknowledged or just self-acknowledged) who have offered advice, actually work in the industry, apart from you and Rob, but I do know that at least two of them are 'mere' doctors in their day jobs. Your suggestion could work if there were indeed a 'professionals only' forum, which could be read by all, but only contributed to by professionals. I personally wouldn't have any objection to that, some might. An 'experts only' forum wouldn't work, because you'll always get people who are deluded about their own level of expertise: anecdotally (I wouldn't know, not having seen many snowHeads skiing) there are numerous posters whose level of skiing does not reach that promised by their posts.

I reckon that, leaving the place as a free-for-all, where people can choose for themselves the advice they think is worth following, is the only practical possibility. Most people can tell the difference between the white noise and the rest. For instance, the vast majority of people on here are aware that you, for one, know exactly what you're talking about, CEM!

For the record, since this argument seems to turn, mostly, on what the O/P actually asked for: I don't think 'seasoned skiers' was meant to be confined to people in the ski industry, although it was obviously not aimed at beginners. Also, he seemed to be welcoming a fairly generalised discussion by his use of the words, " ti will be a good starting point)Does anybody else want to pitch in with your thoughts?" Maybe he'll reappear at some point, and tell us what he actually wanted to hear. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think a ski report can be subject to all levels of user, thus giving a balanced argument should a ski be very difficult when used by a beginner. But what do I know, i said Hitler.
The point here I think is that Megamum cut and pasted a link, which was seen as plagiarism, however in my experience, Megamum would have read it, to see if the account agreed with hers, then posted a link, which is fine no. I know for a fact that some well respected industry professionals use many expressions and terms coined by others in their work but we wouldn't want to open that can of worms. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As a well seasoned skier all I can say is honey tends not to smart as much ......

Quote:
In Le Guide culinaire, Auguste Escoffier divides Seasoning and Condiments into the following groups:

Saline seasonings—Salt, spiced salt, saltpeter.
Acid seasonings—Plain vinegar, or same aromatized with tarragon; verjuice, lemon and orange juices.
Hot seasonings—Peppercorns, ground or coarsely chopped pepper, or mignonette pepper; paprika, curry, cayenne, and mixed pepper spices.
Saccharine seasonings—Sugar and honey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasoning
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Schuss in Boots, No, I browsed alot before starting to post, and was able to make a pretty good guess as to who are experts and who aren't by reading what other posters had to say about them. One of the benefits of Snowheads being a relatively small forum is that lots of you know each other in the real world, and it is easy to tell that CEM is an expert bootfitter because every time there is a boot fitting question posted, about 20 of you immediately post 'CEM will be along shortly', 'listen to CEM, he fitted me really well', 'he gave me brill advice' or something similar.

And because so many of you have met, you do actually know if someone is an expert or not.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM wrote:

Yes it is a public forum, but was there not talk of achiving this stuff somewhere as a resource?????, if someone asks a specific question then why the white noise, answer the question as asked, if the question is a general "i'm thinking of new skis what has everyone else used?" then great, get the opinions flowing

I totally agree with you. But I don't think it'll ever work on a public forum. I like Epicski's way, where experts are identified each time they post, so you know who has expert knowledge.

I make my living at a totally different sport, and haven't been on a huge forum concerning it for about 5yrs because there are so many eejits on it who know nowt, that the experts get drowned out. One example of a response to a question asking for expert help started 'I have no experience of your problem, but I would guess that...'. I read that and never went back!

At least on Snowheads the experts still get heard, you just have to learn who's who before you take any opinion too seriously.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jumper,
Quote:

there are so many eejits on it who know nowt, that the experts get drowned out. One example of a response to a question asking for expert help started 'I have no experience of your problem, but I would guess that...'. I read that and never went back!
That seems to be exactly the nature of the complaint against Megamum and the danger which her action highlights - namely that the genuine experts will walk away. Like you, I didn't think there was a solution on a public forum. But I don't follow Epicski - people having to quote their credentials sounds like rather a good compromise, or at least it might help people to gain some idea as to whether someone is a genuine expert.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just been given a pair of skis with Dynastar legend written on them. Will they do to replace my Sugar Daddy's?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Im to scared to come back,I'm only after some new ski's not a blood bath!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
steveburles wrote:
Im to scared to come back,I'm only after some new ski's not a blood bath!!
Well to be honest with you all I fully appreciate the limits of a forum,and I would like to thank everybody for there replys.In the end my choice of ski will be a personal choice to me as yours will to you.Having not been paying attention for 6 years the suggestions you have all been kind enough to give me will hopefully get me in the ball park straight away.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
steveburles, Laughing Laughing Good luck with your eventual choice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Steve

I don't design skis etc but I love Salomon Lords for allround use. Not too thin, not too wide, decent in powder, fun on piste, quick to turn. Rented some a season ago, have skied a couple of other freeride skis since and not found one I prefer yet

I really couldn't say exactly why!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jumper,

It has been proven in many psychological experiments, that there are 2 basic flaws with "experts" and in particular the information one gets from them :
(1) experts are more often than not wrong on any particular question
(2) they have a dangerous belief of how right they are !

The best way to get to a right answer is to collate a large number of responses from a diverse, non-linked group and find some way of synthesising the collective knowledge , and therein will be your answer.

So in many respects this thread (and the whole forum) is a best-practice way of getting to the right answer.

And (paradoxically) in fact the way to make the group "more intelligent" is to have a good selection of "non-experts", as therein lies the source of lateral thinking and non-constrained thinking.

Which means, when all of the responses above have been collated and examined, you will find that the best skis for you will be the .....

pink ones wink
snow report
p.s. i can't wait to see the fist "experts-only" thread on here, including the qualificatiosn needed to be demonstrated before being allowed to post, and no doubt the multiple different answers that will arise from questions as simple as "what colour is snow" wink
latest report
sev112,
Quote:

It has been proven in many psychological experiments, that there are 2 basic flaws with "experts" and in particular the information one gets from them :
(1) experts are more often than not wrong on any particular question
(2) they have a dangerous belief of how right they are !

Then I guess you're an expert on this! Twisted Evil
snow report
sugardaddy, Laughing
snow conditions
sugardaddy, Laughing

sev112, You may well be right, but I do know that if you ask 10 experts a question, and ask 10 non-experts the same question, whilst it is possible to get as many as 20 different answers, the correct answer will almost always come from one of the experts.

And to clarify my point- I don't mind non-experts posting (I'm one, after all, or rather a non-one!), but I don't want there to be so many posting that the experts get drowned out, which is what happened on the other forum I mentioned. The beauty of Snowheads is that the experts are recognised as such and get listened to.

P.s don't forget that when an expert is offering advice on their area of expertise, they are basically working for us, the readers, free of charge. This is why they can get p1ssed off when a lay-person enters the debate.

Anyway, I think this is done to death. Back to the OP-

sev112, Pink ones will only work if they don't clash with his boots. wink
ski holidays
Quote:

P.s don't forget that when an expert is offering advice on their area of expertise, they are basically working for us, the readers, free of charge

Yes, and that has proven on here time and time again to be extremely helpful to people looking for advice. But don't forget, if they are a pro providing a service, presumably they are also getting a little publicity for their business.
ski holidays
Going back to the subject. I can vouch for Movement Hypes. Very good edge hold and a very lively ski that can go pretty much anywhere.
ski holidays
don't ski a Shogun LAME LAME LAME
ski holidays
sev112 wrote:
lateral thinking and non-constrained thinking.

This settles it. steveburles, go get some Rax skis.
latest report
sugardaddy,

i read a book once Smile
snow conditions
sev112, Delusions of Grander?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
sev112, Delusions of Grander?

What, this one?
snow report
Back to the issue at hand - in particular to add into the mix, anyone had any experience of the Salomon Tornado? My dad is thinking of getting them at the moment following having his Salomon hot chillies stolen in Flaine two weeks ago. Opinions please...
ski holidays
PinoP wrote:
don't ski a Shogun LAME LAME LAME

But I love mine!! Embarassed

I'm probably not as advanced a skier as you and they suit me well Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Snowheads Gold

Agreed. Priceless. Laughing Laughing Laughing I hadn't opened this thread (not knowing two things about skis despite being fairly well "seasoned") until seeing the link in the "where's megamum gone" thread. Whether or not her critics are right in saying she was misguided to quote a third party opinion her original post was certainly less irrelevant than all the subsequent pontificating and argufying.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
CEM,I don't know how many of the experts on this thread (acknowledged or just self-acknowledged) who have offered advice, actually work in the industry, apart from you and Rob, but I do know that at least two of them are 'mere' doctors in their day jobs.

I answered the OP original question with the first and third replies in this thread.

Spyderman wrote:
Stockli Stormrider XXL. Does all that you've asked for.

Spyderman wrote:
steveburles, I ski on the Stormrider XL, it's an amazing ski. The XXL wasn't available when I got mine, but it would be my choice now.

The XL has amazing edge grip and is super fast. It's 75mm underfoot, so will go most places. but the extra width of the XXL would be better off-piste.

I think you know me a bit by now, I'm not a Doctor either.wink

CEM also agreed with my suggested ski.

CEM wrote:
steveburles, other then the stormrider as already suggested, going on the narrow side then head supershape magnum, on the wider side atomic nomad savage Ti

You beat me though, I only started skiing in 1979 Laughing

Since my original post, I've ordered a pair of HEAD Supershape Titan for my Stormrider replacement.
snow report
Spyderman, oops, sorry! Laughing
Don't see much future in re-opening this thread, however. Confused
ski holidays
Hurtle, I missed most of it, only just caught it again after Megamum's vanishing thread link. I was away.......skiing of all things. Laughing
ski holidays
Spyderman, skiing, eh? How weird is that?! Shocked
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Spyderman, skiing, eh? How weird is that?! Shocked

I know, it's very overrated. Confused
latest report
jeez, this thread could stand as a good argument for legalising canabis...
snow report
Glad I caught up on this one Very Happy Might post it on Natives and we can get that one going again too...
snow report
Oh, and if you can demo them, Dynastar Contact 4x4s might tick the boxes. I just got them in a 178 and they're quite a lot of ski.
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seems I missed this one before. Absolutely hilarious!
ski holidays
Lizzard, it is, sort of. Yet the problem of those with relevant expertise being swamped a forum where all want to chip in is something that is hard to resolve. In another thread, parlor suggested that anyone skiing less than 90 days a month should not post (in that thread). That would kinda limit the number of posters. I did raise my eyebrows at that - but OTOH I also have some sympathy with him (even thought I ski well below that). In this thread, in the light of Megamum's lack of experience /ability, it was a bit surprising that she felt she could offer advice to someone who skis the whole mountain in control, has completed basi instructor training, and skis to a very good standard. I thought the posters who initially took Megamum to task did so reasonably, and in the case of stoatsbrother, gently - and that the reactions of Megamum and BMF Skier were somewhat over sensitive. Both the latter are excellent company both on the slopes and on this forum Megamum is a bit of a snowheads treasure - I hope and expect she will be back in time.
latest report
so can anyone recommend me some new hoof clippers for my goats or what? None of your hobby goat herders either - I expect at least a chip on both shoulders....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy