Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski selection advice from seasoned skiers please.

Poster: A snowHead
The Voice of Reason, Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
anyone got any spare popcorn? I've run out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Booger ... been skiing ... missed the fun Twisted Evil
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

parlor suggested that anyone skiing less than 90 days a month should not post (in that thread). That would kinda limit the number of posters.

Yep, certainly would. But there'd probably be a few who would claim to meet the criterion. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been away skiing for a few weeks and look what I've missed Laughing
Why would anyone in their right mind want to buy 3 pairs of identical skis to cover their next 6 years of skiing? WTF is all that about?

Anyway I'm thinking of buying a new car. I want something really fast with sharp handling, but it has to carry 6 people and go off road too. I also want to buy 3 identical cars so I won't have to go through the hassle of buying another one for the next decade or so. Any suggestions?

Is a seasoned skier someone with salt and pepper added Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster wrote:
Been away skiing for a few weeks and look what I've missed Laughing
Why would anyone in their right mind want to buy 3 pairs of identical skis to cover their next 6 years of skiing? WTF is all that about?

Bonkers idea. The skis will degrade whether they're used or not, plus technology moves on.

uktrailmonster wrote:
Anyway I'm thinking of buying a new car. I want something really fast with sharp handling, but it has to carry 6 people and go off road too. I also want to buy 3 identical cars so I won't have to go through the hassle of buying another one for the next decade or so. Any suggestions?

Speak to Bowler, I'm sure they could breath on a Discovery for you. They'd even sell you 3 of them no doubt.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, Puzzled

I actually owned one of the pairs of skis the OP was asking about and skied them on range of terrain. No claim to be an expert - but certainly not an early intermediate like MM.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother, The request was for advice from 'seasoned' skiers. Apart from the obvious jokes about houshold condiments (YES uktrailmonster, this means YOU! Laughing ) I would take that to mean someone who has skied quite a bit for quite a few years. I would say you definitely qualify. There was no stated requirement that such skiers be 'experts' so on that basis I might (having been a skier for about 10 years, but a cr@p one ) also qualify Madeye-Smiley

Just in case I do, I just upgraded my B2's (I note the OP has had several pairs of B1's) to Zenith 9.5's. I wouldn't dare to suggest he tries them, but I liked them. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Axsman, oh the Zeniths sound posh. Are they the memory foam ones wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, just a teeny bit stiffer than the Bandits I think Very Happy

(but proper wide, and happy in powder, unlike those bloody RX8's I er, didn't get on* with)

*= Was too cr@p to make the most of Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wonder what proportion of these 4 pages is about suggesting skis for the OP and how much is inter-personal argument because Megamum innocently made a suggestion. But I am not going to work it out. Not now. I'm too knackered from just reading through the thread. The real problem with the Snowheads forum is the same as the problem with any other internet forum I have read - it's people. . Very Happy If there weren't any people in this forum it would operate so unbelievably smoothly and harmoniously wink

So what makes an expert? Many years of skiing experience - from heather-hopping on Cairngorm to bashing around the Alps; many years of ski-teaching; many years of organising and running ski trips? Yep, I must be an expert, so may I post recommendations of skis? Please? Will that be ok?

The fact is that my "expert" offering would have no more validity than Megamum's, simply because I have not put the time in to gain knowledge of a wide variety of skis. The only difference is that anything I said could seem to come with an expert's voice of authority. When I need new skis, I do a bit of research and try some out. Then I make a choice and get with skiing on them.

Currently steveburies I have tried out Salomon X-wing Tornadoes with a view to next season and loved them. And that's as much as this "expert" can offer. I loved them: they suited me; I will probably buy them.

And let's remember that when you are on a high horse, it's a long long way to the ground if you fall off.

Lighten up guys!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, I assume you're questioning my sad emoticon? I'm sad that this sorry thread has been resurrected. You said, on the other thread started by genepi, that you were sorry too. And yet, in both threads, you repeatedly make the same old in personam points. Enough already.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, nope. Wrong. Just seen your "mere doctors" sneer and pointing out I actually owned some of the skis the OP had asked about.

Jeez, you and lordsmurfin love stirring don't you Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe if all you helmet wearing do-gooders still smoked, we could all calm down by smoking a quick tab over a pint inside the bar, whilst a stranger keeps an eye on the kids who have been taken out of school to go blading.......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother, that phrase - in which the word 'mere' was ironically used, I think my small joke was obscured by your oversensitivity - was in direct response to CEM's use of the phrase 'ski industry.' I was replying to his post in general terms, nothing to do with the specific issue/spat on this thread. To clarify further: you are not in the ski industry, you are merely (merely in relation to the ski industry, you understand) a doctor. Hope that's now clear. I would have thought that you would know by now, since I've posted it often enough, how much I appreciate the expertise which the medics share so generously on here: I wouldn't dream of sneering at it.

As to your allegation of stirring, it is a fact that you continue to berate Megamum and BMF Skier (he has his own identity on here, he's not just her boyfriend, as you keep calling him) for the errors of their ways. I ask you to stop. And it's me that's stirring? I don't think so.
ski holidays
Hurtle, Forgive me, but the OP didn't ask for the opinion of experts, or members of the ski industry, or professionals. He asked for 'seasoned skiers'.

stoatsbrother may be a 'mere' (all please note use of ironic quotation marks) doctor, but he is also a 'seasoned skier' having skied for many years. He also happens to have owned (and therefore presumably skied a few times) the specific skis mentioned by the OP.

IMHO this makes him a useful respondent to the the OP's question.

Other, less experienced, skiers (no doubt including myself) will likely have opinions, but these opinions may not be so helpful to the OP (which is possibly why he asked for 'seasoned skiers'). He clearly wanted the views of people who'd done more than a little skiing, ideally on the relevant equipment.

I don't see a problem with any of the above, nor with CEM VERY politely pointing out to megamum that second hand info was not what was asked for, do you?

Am I stirring? Hope so! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hurtle, read the thread. BMFS pounced on CEM because he very gently suggeted MMs post was less than useful. Samething happened when I supported CEM. Perhaps not everyone knows they are an item. I thought that was lame. At least in this thread some of us actually have used the skis the op referred to. But others like you and like BS in the other thread pile in and stir.

Have you got anything to say about the skis? Nope?
ski holidays
Quote:

parlor suggested that anyone skiing less than 90 days a month should not post (in that thread). That would kinda limit the number of posters.

To people living on a planet with a different moon, I suggest. Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard, I was going to respond to that one too! but didn't feel that I was adequately qualified Toofy Grin
latest report
anarchicsaltire, I have a degree in psychology, a certificate in fencing, 120wpm Teeline shorthand and CIEH Intermediate Food Hygiene. I feel that this more than adequately qualifies me to comment on the finer points of astronomy.

I have nothing to say about skis though, because I'm just not that boring. Laughing
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Apparently if someone mentions hitler the thread comes to an end.......................Hitler, Gas Chamber, Nazis.

You should see the documentary 'Defamation' an Israeli-directed documentary that visits Auschwitz. You will never see it mentioned at The Oscars. The Lobby will see to that; but it is a good film nonetheless. An interesting view is put forward that Israel is not running the US but elderly US Jews, in search of identity, are ruining Israel so that only the hard right Netanyahu types get a voice.

http://www.moviewatchlist.com/movie-defamation

You can also download the whole film from the internet. It is well worth watching.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
I have a degree in psychology, a certificate in fencing,

My Garden Fence needs a bit of attention, what are you like with feather edge boards?
snow report
Lizzard, Do you fix peg-tile roofs?
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
I have nothing to say about skis though, because I'm just not that boring. Laughing

Don't put yourself down, you are! wink
latest report
Have I missed something? Is someone wanting 3 pairs of the same ski? Whoever you are PM me now as I carry at least 3 of everything in stock!
snow conditions
Axsman,
Quote:

Forgive me, but the OP didn't ask for the opinion of experts, or members of the ski industry, or professionals. He asked for 'seasoned skiers'.

Yes I know that, but the point that CEM went on to make was a more general one and it was that to which I was responding. Have a look at the thread again: happily, the discussion had moved on to the more general point of a special experts/professionals forum. It seemed to me a good thing that the thread had quietened down, it had moved on from the specific problem of a mildly O/T intervention (yes it was O/T, we're all agreed on that, including me - as I posted) the OP had declared himself satisfied and completely unbothered, and points of more general interest were beginning to be discussed. All you are doing is yet again castigating Megamum for posting on the thread. That point's been repeated a hundred times, surely everyone's got the message by now.

stoatsbrother, I am not stirring, quite the reverse. Find someone else to bully, it doesn't work on me.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
I have ....... 120wpm Teeline shorthand

I am seriously impressed! I only managed 100wpm. It was one of the hardest things I have ever learnt.

Actually, I'm a bit fed up with men (and isn't it always rolling eyes ), thinking they're entitled to criticize other posters just for, erm, posting. Megamum never claimed to be anything she is not and the OP can filter out and disregard opinions he doesn't want. Anyway, he doesn't want "seasoned skiers'" opinions really - he want opinions from similar skiers. He is
Quote:
35 years, 5ft11 86kg
so a 49 year old 5ft tall 50K female's opinion on skis wouldn't be any use - even if she'd been skiing for 40 years!

I sometimes read stuff on here which is total rubbish and think, "Ah, bless, they're only trying to help." And probably, one day, they will. But not if everyone jumps down their throat and makes them feel stupid.

Yes, I did have a bad day! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
maggi, Toofy Grin Yer a good woman! Sorry you had a bad day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I love this thread.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Hurtle, sad to see you - of all people - play the "bully" card. rolling eyes A bit like calling someone racist - an almost unanswerable allegation. And given that you only came in this thread to talk about the subsequent issues - not to discuss the skis - I think that is stirring.

In a post a few days before her intervention on this thread megamum had advised a skier on pole length despite admitting in a different thread she didn't actually use hers. This is far from being an isolated example. Fine in the AZ, but this section of the forum is surely meant to be useful, rather than just a place for people to exercise their Google and Keyboard skills? However this doesn't appear to be the case, and what you and others want is just a free-for-all.

maggi, And no it isn't always men. Let me know if you want examples.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Axsman,
Quote:

Forgive me, but the OP didn't ask for the opinion of experts, or members of the ski industry, or professionals. He asked for 'seasoned skiers'.

Yes I know that, but the point that CEM went on to make was a more general one and it was that to which I was responding. Have a look at the thread again: happily, the discussion had moved on to the more general point of a special experts/professionals forum. It seemed to me a good thing that the thread had quietened down, it had moved on from the specific problem of a mildly O/T intervention (yes it was O/T, we're all agreed on that, including me - as I posted) the OP had declared himself satisfied and completely unbothered, and points of more general interest were beginning to be discussed. All you are doing is yet again castigating Megamum for posting on the thread. That point's been repeated a hundred times, surely everyone's got the message by now.

stoatsbrother, I am not stirring, quite the reverse. Find someone else to bully, it doesn't work on me.

OK fair point, you weren't addressing the OP but CEM's point about industry professionals getting fed up. Although the p[oint he was making about WHY they were getting fed up comes back to the point I was making about ill-infomed opinion not being asked for by the OP.

Bottom line here is that some folks believe their opinion is 'as good as anyones' whether they actually have any knowledge to impart or not. Anyone who has kids will be familiar with the fact that they have opinions, often ill informed, about a lot of things. Doesn't mean those opinions have much basis in fact or value though does it.?

I wasn't 'castigating' megamum at all. I was pointing out that CEM had been VERY polite in his gentle suggestion that the op was not looking for second hand info.

The thread now seems (interestingly) to be going down the route of 'all men are bullies' and 'all bullies are men' (an opinion voiced periodically by women who find themselves disagreed with here). So hopefully there are more interesting fireworks to come. Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

So hopefully there are more interesting fireworks to come

Surely the fireworks are long over due in BZK as well Toofy Grin
Another part of snowHeads I rarely venture to post into Skullie
snow report
Boredsurfing, Me neither. But then I rarely feel qualified to voice an opinion. wink Laughing
ski holidays
Axsman, ditto
I've only skied for 29 years so pretty much nothing of value to add Very Happy
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:

I've only skied for 29 years so pretty much nothing of value to add Very Happy

Yes, but 1 hour a day, only if it's sunny, to ski to the restaurant terrace and back. Toofy Grin
snow report
Spyderman, Cool I'll have you know I 've skied in Scotland! (and Newton Toney)
snow conditions
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

In a post a few days before her intervention on this thread megamum had advised a skier on pole length despite admitting in a different thread she didn't actually use hers. This is far from being an isolated example
And this is not in personam stirring?
Quote:

what you and others want is just a free-for-all.
No, that's why I was interested in pursuing the subsequent discussion. If you actually read what I wrote, I said that I wouldn't mind some sort of specialist forum and also that the idea of experts having to quote their credentials wasn't a bad one.
Quote:

this section of the forum is surely meant to be useful, rather than just a place for people to exercise their Google and Keyboard skills?
Wow, as a patronizing comment, that's in a league of its own.
Quote:

it isn't always men
Agreed.

Axsman,
Quote:

I was pointing out that CEM had been VERY polite in his gentle suggestion that the op was not looking for second hand info.
And I am saying that speculating on what the OP wanted and having yet another express or implied pop at Megamum have really done their day on here.

Boredsurfing,
Quote:

I've only skied for 29 years so pretty much nothing of value to add
As Spyderman has correctly calculated, I've done a bit more than that, though I wouldn't have voiced any opinion on the right skis for the OP, since I too am a sawn-off female person and don't even read about skis which are unsuitable for me. If, however, I had happened to spot something slightly obscure in my general reading which might have been useful for the OP, I might have drawn it to his attention - with a nod to the thread title wording and an appropriate disclaimer - and not expect to be incinerated. If comments on this section of the forum or on BZK were confined to things that were both strictly on-topic and incontrovertibly true, as opposed to more or less informed speculation in the same approximate subject area as the OP, they would soon be dead in the water.
ski holidays
Hurtle, Agreeing with CEM (and in doing so disagreeing with you) is not having a pop at anyone 'express' or 'implied' and is it not a tad arrogant for you to be dictating what has or has not 'done it's day'? You seem keen to continue the debate, but I note you aren't substantiating your 'bullying' assertion.

Are you attempting to bully me? Or do you just need to have the last word? wink
latest report
Hurtle, I will just answer your first point - because the rest are really about your personal opnion - and you answering a comment aimed at Maggi. And don't tell me the internet lawyers on here don't annoy you Wink

The first point was to provide context that megamum seemed to be providing increasingly irrelevent information in a technical area of the site - without clearly stating how early in her skiing career she is.

Axsman, and she is bullying me too... yet again... Wink
snow report
This thread has really highlighted the personalities of a number of snowHeads. rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy