Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italian Dolomites and French 3 Vallees – a few more personal comparisons

Poster: A snowHead
Laughing no, it starts just before you get to the road and deposits you way up the hill but on the other side.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@admin,
Quote:

I love the 3V for its professionalism, sophistication and efficiency.
I love the Dolomites for the chilledness, friendliness and lunchiness.

Sums them up nicely. Smile

Be good to have a book of Where to Ski, in one sentence with no more than 3 adjectives.

Or a thread snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Hidden Valley has on little steep bit but other than that is an easy run. There is a llot of poling at the ither end to get back to lifts.- not udeal fornthe unfit and boarders.

The SR is not a great ski route.
Ski Panorama and the Grest Wsr Ring are.....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I come to this debate late but I thought I would stick my twopeneth in....I have been to the Dolomites every year for the past 7 years bar one and generally stay in the Val du Fassa but have been to San Vigilio a couple of times (two week trips) I agree with most in saying that the area is not suited to major trips by car ..getting from Campitello to Arrabba is definitely quicker on skis but a car is a great help with local travel ,,there are lots of adjunct areas that are only half an hour down the road that you would not normally visit without a car like Alpe Lusia up from Moena which is worth a day or two and rather than just go round the Sella Ronda you can ski to many different resorts and ski fo the day ...as for food much better value than the rip off 3 Valleys and you can stop in two resorts and have a 13 day lift pass which makes it much better value ..I am in TOTAL agreement with Saikee....

and as to getting there it is one overnight stop from the UK just the same as France
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quanto? Smile

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Combien? Shocked

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

and as to getting there it is one overnight stop from the UK just the same as France

Really! I've only stopped once overnight on a trip to Les Arcs when we broke down and I've done the drive dozens of times. I've only done it once without stopping from the Dolomites and decided not to try that again. We now always have an overnight stop to the Dolomites, but never to France.

Having spent a long time driving and walking around the Dolomites it was a bit of a shock to discover that some journeys that are a real pain by car, are in fact fairly straight forward by ski.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is far easier to ski place to place in the Dolomites and get the little ski buses that go everywhere.

The possible exception is Cortina which is slightly out on a limb. There is a bus that runs up to Cinque Torri but it's then along trek back to the main SR resorts. Cortina and San Pellegrino day trips are best done with a car. Otherwise, it's all very easy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cameronphillips2000, best to stay in Cortina really, it has everything you need and easy to get to SR if you want. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Best map of the area ...takes some figuring out https://ski.realitymaps.de/DolomitiSuperski/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DaveD, that map is wonderful!
I just got completely engrossed skulking around the Selva, Sasslong, S.Christina area for a bout 10 minutes.

I sooooooooo want to go there, NOW! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin wrote:

I sooooooooo want to go there, NOW! Evil or Very Mad

Dont we all rolling eyes Sad Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball wrote:
There is (was?) a book in English and Italian "Freeride in Dolomiti" by Francesco Tremolada, with 100 routes described and with photos.
Above is the famous Val Mesdi, the most skied off-piste route which cuts across the ring of the Sella Ronda, starting at the Pordoi cable car: ski straight ahead, crossing a gully (with other routes going off right and left - and you can see a steep, narrow gully you can walk up to above the left hand route) walk up ahead for a while, then skin up left, heading for the left-hand end of the mountain cliffs ahead, (or instead skin straight on up and ski left along the foot of the cliffs) and Val Mesdi is just over the top, (or the gully I mentioned back down to the left). But really you need someone to show you (and obviously don't do it alone). If you cross the first gully and climb up further to the top of the mountain ahead you can ski briefly over the back to the left left, then climb up a bit left and there are a couple of wonderful gullies which rejoin the Val Mesdi a short way down (see below, you can see some skiers in the valley bottom and the skier is Horizon). And there are a number of other amazing routes you can walk to from the Pordoi cable car.
But I hope it is obvious you really need a guide. You could try booking the guide who wrote the book!

Thanks for that! Those couloirs do look very atmospheric and who doesn’t enjoy a trip to Italy!

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, That gives me an excuse to post a link to a 'Tremolada' guided tour report from 2013

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2217976&highlight=delight#2217976
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albob wrote:
@BobinCH, That gives me an excuse to post a link to a 'Tremolada' guided tour report from 2013

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2217976&highlight=delight#2217976

That looks epic. Bumped it!
ski holidays
DaveD wrote:
Best map of the area ...takes some figuring out https://ski.realitymaps.de/DolomitiSuperski/

That's a cracking map. I wonder how old the photography is? Black 1B into Pozza di Fassa is marked, albeit shown going uphill over a ridge but the run itself doesn't seem to be there. Is that a relatively new one?
latest report
1B Vulcano is about 5 years old
latest report
My only gripe about the Sella Ronda is too much piste bashing, if only they would allow some moguls to build here & there. Most of the times that I have been there, the offpiste snow has been very poor and the piste skiing is not very challenging. Having said this, the relatively uncrowded pistes allow some full on carving to be done.

The three valleys has some challenging skiing, notably the Grand Couloir but this is quite a short run and for it's size, the 3V does not have that much challenging piste skiing, I generally prefer neighbouring Paradiski, better skiing, cheaper prices.
snow conditions
@tangowaggon,
Quote:

the 3V does not have that much challenging piste skiing, I generally prefer neighbouring Paradiski, better skiing,

I beg to differ on that. I'll grant you slightly lower prices for most things in Paradiski vs 3V.T
snow report
For those of you that haven't picked this up of the other trending thread.

This is simply sensational.

the Hidden Valley in lockdown.

Enjoy.....

http://youtube.com/v/-S3HSCbGh5E&feature=emb_logo&ab_channel=UstariaPosta
ski holidays
Spectacular scenery (and a high quality nostril clear-out at 1:03!).

Must get to the Dolomites one day.
snow report
Old Francseco likes to get some air...

http://youtube.com/v/17IH-QZLlug&ab_channel=HenryHart
snow report
One for next years bday bash...

http://youtube.com/v/WIXw8Dn2w18&ab_channel=MarcoBassot
ski holidays
One of the big differences is the weather. Located in the sheltered south east of the mountains the Dolomites has more settled weather and more sunshine than other parts of the alps.

The 3v are more exposed to the prevailing weather and therefore get more snow. The Dolomites are reliant on artificial snow but the dry sheltered climate and smooth slopes are very suited to snow making.

With nearly 100% snow making the runs and lifts reliably open early in December with the SR usually open by Christmas.

This makes it a reliable early season skiing destination for a six day holiday with low risk of closed lifts, lost days or poor visibility.

On the other hand parts of the 3v are a much better bet for late season skiing thanks to their higher altitude and bigger annual snow falls.

Once you’ve had a 6 day holiday in the Dolomites it’s difficult to go back to the 3v snowHead

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 21-02-21 8:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

One of the big differences is the weather. Located in the sheltered south east of the mountains the Dolomites has more settled weather and more sunshine than other parts of the alps.

Not all parts of the Dolomites. The Pala for example is notorious for bad weather, fog and rain. Few British skiers go there, even though it was described in the first guide book to the Dolomites The Dolomite Mountains: Excursions Through Tyrol, Carinthia, Carniola & Friuli (London, 1864). Unlike many of the areas we ski in the Dolomites it is in an Italian speaking region.

The main town San Martino di Castrozza, has perhaps the highest concentration of 5* hotels I have ever seen in one place. Cortina is it's slightly more down market competitor
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, nice video, probably the only time you will get a table inside at Scotoni's Wink
ski holidays
admin wrote:

I love the 3V for its professionalism, sophistication and efficiency.
I love the Dolomites for the chilledness, friendliness and lunchiness.

This, and everything I snipped away: all true.

And yet: If I had to choose between the 2 and never visit the other again: Dolomites without a doubt.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy