Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

suitable brand names for wearing

Poster: A snowHead
My old Helly Hansen trousers are getting long in the tooth (and a bit cold) so looking at a change. Not being a man with his finger on the pulse of suitable boardwear (and not wanting to spend a month's salary on something I wear for about 1 week of the year) what is a suitable mid-range brand that will last and not get me laughed off the chairlift...?

Columbia ok? (seen some nice brown trousers at MANDM Direct and the colour may come in handy for the next time I hit a black run that's icy)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surfanic?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carled, what makes you think it's the brand of your trousers which is going to get you larfed off the chairlift? wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
EVERY snowboarder know that, Pam. As Stab, sorry, Jonny Luv Plums said, "who cares if your bum gets wet, it's how they look..."

I've perfected the art of strapping in standing up now so I don't suffer from "wetarseitis" too much these days... wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carled,
Last year I was mainly wearing surfanic trousers and a tchibo jacket..
Tchibo just started selling the winter stuff...gotta be quick.. Surprisingly good for the price..

http://www.tchibo.eu/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/eu/-/GBP/TdEuBrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=phase_1&kw=4509

The rest of my stuff was either decathlon or aldi/lidl (board, bindings, fleeces, 2nd pair of trousers..) , apart from the gloves (burton) and lid (protec)....oh and goggles (anon)

I wasn't laughed off the chairlift...

But maybe I was laughed at behind my back.. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Some of the Surfanic stuff does look all right...could'nt bring myself to wear it though I'm afraid!

I would never judge anyone for what they are wearing however there is an element of snobbery regarding boarding gear which I have to confess I do try and conform to! Sad

Have you tried:http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/ProductList.aspx?Order=PriceDown&SubCat=85, I entered large in the drop down menu best scan through the other sizes!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
manicpb,

My budget forces me to fight natural tendencies...which are also leaning towards brands.. But you have to admit that at these prices sometimes you just get more from your money with surfanic (less and less so...) and decathlon or tchibo...

My best buy this year though was some brand new Four Square Q pants off ebay: £50... £100 saving thank you very much..
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think what would be really cool would be to have dead naff gear, and then ride everybody else off the mountain. I'm such a rubbish boarder I can't hope to do that, but when I have managed to overtake some real beginners down the nursery slope I find it quite amusing when they realise I'm an OAP. wink One of the big advantages of being old is that you don't give a stuff about brands. In fact, maybe that's the only advantage. Except for not having to work any more and spending all winter in the mountains, I suppose.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w,
yep, i'd be willing to trade all my branded stuff for some talent! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
oh god, I feel like Gok Wan
Acceptable brands
DC
Bonfire (even though they are technically french ski makers through salomon)
Volcom
Burton (but only Ronin or AK)
Nike 6.0
Grenade
Eleven
and anything else you see me in.

Unacceptable brands.
Spyder
Descent
Columbia
Patagonia
North Face
Orage
Mammut
etc etc etc. Basically if it looks tight, it aint right.

pam w, has the right idea as well, look like a gimp but be good on the board.
For the ultimate fashion statement you will need:
Jeans
An open jacket (not winter)
No gloves
A cigarette.
This look will slay all who come before you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonny luv plums wrote:

You were kind of dressed like him when I last saw you headed up on the train in Wengen...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Jeans
No gloves
A cigarette.

reminds me of some Scottish fishermen who were dressed in that kind of thing and old school raincoats tied up with a bit of string, when all us yachties were pratting round in our coordinating Henri-Lloyd gear. They kindly spent two minutes expertly setting extra shorelines on our boats in a gale, after we'd been faffing ineffectively for 45 minutes. Pickled like old walnuts by 30 years of southwesterlies and malt whisky they were apparently impervious to the cold and wet. They must have thought we were complete idiots (though they graciously accepted our offer of a wee dram when all was secure wink )
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled wrote:
Jonny luv plums wrote:

You were kind of dressed like him when I last saw you headed up on the train in Wengen...

was that my orange and green Bill phase?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny luv plums wrote:
carled wrote:
Jonny luv plums wrote:

was that my orange and green Bill phase?

That's the one... Very Happy

Fair turned my head, it did...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Laughing I still wear that one occasionally.
ski holidays
NCB donkey jacket or Postie's jacket, jeans and a black bobble hat without the bobble Wink
ski holidays
Jonny luv plums wrote:
Acceptable brands
DC
Volcom
Nike 6.0
Grenade
Eleven

I'd add
Anon
Westbeach
FourSquare
and also Quiksilver
to that list

I got a really nice pair of Groovstar Fullhouse pants from TKMaxx. Not a brand I'd ever heard of (turns out they're from New Zealand). They are pretty tech (10k/10k) and look awesome in a nice check herringbone fabric.
Another one to look at is Moah, a British make which TKMaxx also seem to stock, their gear seems pretty decent and super-cheap from their website at the moment.
snow report
Real jeans - Lee or Wrangler not any high fashion brand

Carhartt if your day job is lumberjack NOT IT monkey

Ancient North Face Steeptech gear.

Anything else you're a fashion victim.
snow conditions
That's the thing you see. If you don't have time to keep up to date on things, you don't know if you're buying into the name or the quality. I ended up buying a C-Skins wetsuit for surfing instead of Billabong or Quiksilver as the reports from those that use them (ie surf forums!) seemed to indicate that the quality was not anywhere near what it used to be. I then spoke to a fairly well respected local surf shop and they advised me to go for C-Skins over the Billabong/O'Neill/Quiksilver products (at my price point anyway) as the customer service and build quality was better. Turned out I needed a repair doing to the knees after the year's warranty was up and C-Skins STILL did it at their expense. Top marks.

What I suppose I'm looking for is the useful info already mentioned. Not too bothered about brand names, more worried about quality - I've never heard of half the names mentioned, but as long as people are happy to wear/recommend it because it is good quality and not just because it has a trendy name on it then that's good enough for me!

As long as it's not pink. Or Green and Orange. wink
ski holidays
ah, i thought everyone wore pink orange and green.
all gear is the same. 5000/5000 is always going to get you wet, unless it looks good, then being wet is a small price to pay.
Burton i found to be a bit slack on quality on the cheaper range. Zips and velcro not lasting.
686 hasn't screwed up on me yet.

i remove quiksilver from the list, i think they are too commercial now, says the guy who wears Burton Laughing
snow conditions
I love my Halti gear for boarding. The gleaming white trousers in particular. They're absolutely enormous. I look like MC Hammer.
snow report
carled, if your old Helly Hansens are not full of holes why not just retreat them with nikwax and wear some long-johns underneath? If you only go one week a year why spend your hard earned on an item of clothing that is going to sit in a cupboard for the other 51?
ski holidays
ajl, fair point, might well look into doing that! Still need a new jacket though, my old one has two broken zips on it now!
ski holidays
Hmmm. 2 new zips vs new jacket? Lets face it you're just desperate to spend money. In which case TKMaxx will probably give you a bargain that would cost the same or not much more as 2 new zips and the tailoring involved (if you don't do it yourself of course). As ronaldothefrog has said Groovstar is worth a punt. I paid 50 squid for my jacket and it has the same spec as all the name brands 10k/10k, loads of pockets, vents, snowskirt, detachable hood which fits over a helmet, and no garish designs or ridiculous colours.
snow report
I had a Groovstar jacket, but it was the worst-fitting thing I've ever worn. You know you'll occasionally see someone in a rainstorm, in desperation, wearing a dustbin bag with armholes cut in it? It looked like that.
ski holidays
lol. Gok Wan in Wengen needs this jacket... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mens-Mondriaan-ONeill-Snowboard-Ski-Jacket-BNWT-XL_W0QQitemZ390111735343QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Skiing_Snowboarding_Clothing_LE?hash=item5ad478ae2f
ski holidays
fck yeah, are there matching trousers? Smile

I found a photo of me on facebook tagged as coco the clown Laughing
snow report
Jonny luv plums wrote:

i remove quiksilver from the list, i think they are too commercial now, says the guy who wears Burton Laughing

I have quiksilver tattooed across my back Embarassed , don't ask it was over ten years ago!

Carled,C-skins have a good rep for a reason and it's not a bad brand to wear!

I go for the names but go for go old seasons stock TKMaxx, internet and local shops (I have the main Cannock Boardwise round the corner who always find hardware, clothing, dvds etc from years gone by)!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 6-11-09 19:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
manicpb wrote:
Jonny luv plums wrote:

I have quiksilver tattooed across my back Embarassed , don't ask it was over ten years ago!

I also have the Winterstick logo, my first board board and now none existant company, at the bottom of my neck!

The things you do for snowboarding! Laughing
latest report
carled, hit TKMax mate, get something that fits and is the right tech. label schmabel! snowboarding is about individuality, freedom and non conformism right?

as far as wetsuits go - xcel make a superb suit. i've had c-skins, saloman, billabong, rip curl, o'neil, alder, gul, snugg, etc. over the last 37 years and the xcel (infinity cross zipper) is the only suit that's lasted me two full winter seasons.
snow report
my new love, hand made in switzerland.
http://mai-style.ch/index.php

I'm rocking this one
http://mai-style.ch/index.php?p=3&m=83&a=325&page=1
latest report
Can't go past swanndri and jeans for us kiwis. High fashion on the farm, for hunting, fishing etc etc, and does the job up a mountain. http://swanndri.co.nz/

Otherwise, I'm sold on 686, cheap as chips from sierra snowboard end of season sales, heaps of tech, the smarty ones give you a fleece liner too. I got 50 days on my pants this year, and they're as good as new. Can't say the same about a few other pricey brands which seem to fall apart after a few weeks hard use. I'd really like to find a pair of gloves that can take it though, I went through three pairs this year, so I've given up buying flash ones and deal with wet hands.

And I totally agree about xcel wetties, awesome quality and a real useful range of sizes too. I'd never go near a Rip Curl or O'Neill suit, 15 years ago they were great, but now the seams and heat tape go real quick. Otherwise Snugg, custom made to fit my beer gut, I get a new one every time I go back to the UK.
latest report
I just bought a pair of orange rossignol pants, goretex and thinsulate and an extra size bigger so as to be 'down' with the baggy-up kids. £30 TK Maxx. Ski gear on a snowboard is the way to go until I can board in my jeans and a jumper as most bulgarian instructors do and my one had a fag is his mouth to!

ok I sacked him after an hour and learnt myself but there you go he looked bloody cool...
ski holidays
Jonny luv plums wrote:
Acceptable brands
DC
Volcom
Nike 6.0
Grenade
Eleven

Unacceptable brands.
Spyder
Descent
Columbia
Patagonia
North Face
Orage
Mammut
etc etc etc. Basically if it looks tight, it aint right.

pam w, has the right idea as well, look like a gimp but be good on the board.
For the ultimate fashion statement you will need:
Jeans
No gloves
A cigarette.

I'd remove nike from the list Wink you can only rock nike if your sponsored by them Wink

Holden, airblaster, atmosphere, forum,analog,32 all deserve a mention to Smile

Anything from places like ss20, AKA, boarderboards etc will serve you well Very Happy

Just dont wear ski brands Wink
snow report
Billabong should be there.

Delete Nike, add ACG
ski holidays
its not nike, its nike 6.0 Smile
ski holidays
Jonny luv plums wrote:

I'm rocking this one
http://mai-style.ch/index.php?p=3&m=83&a=325&page=1

bobbles are so 2008/9 season
or for scott dunn chalet host girls to where with there ugg boots Confused
latest report
i've just bought some dc pants, i'm starting to dislike them after only about 5 or 6 dome visits, mainly cos all the car thieving chavs seem to wearing DC now Confused
ski holidays
i'm sure there is some lyric by a band taking the wee wee out of people wearing dc's bought from the highstreet thinking they are wicked cool skaters.

sonic boom six, suicide bid or someone.
latest report
I thought snowboarding was about freedom of expression, about breaking down barriers and attitudes. Whatever you wear it makes no difference just keep away from such snobbery. Snowboarding isn't for snobs. Join up with the other lot (skiers)....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy