Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmin Forerunner 305 users... I have questions.

Poster: A snowHead
So, thinking about a Forerunner 305.... my wife is running the marathon this year, and it looks like it comes well recommended by the running community...so would be a nice 'good luck' present...

But, methinks, 'boomerang' present opportunity, and I can use same for gathering data on trips to the snow! Toofy Grin

Anyone has got one, can you answer for me please?

Does the 305 store tracks for review later ? i.e. if I go on a 7 day trip, will it retain the data for each days runs, so that I can upload to my PC etc. when I return home OR is it better to take laptop and download data each day?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi

I use a Forerunner 305 and have nothing but praise for it.

In answer to your question, yes, it will store info, so no need to upload it daily, just when you get back home.

Key thing is to remember to reset the Forerunner after each day, done by holding down the lap button for three or four seconds. That then saves the day's data and sets you up ready to record the next days data. I usually set the Forerunner off while walking to the first lift in the morning, stop the timer at lunch, set it going again in the afternoon and stop it at the end of the day. No problems with battery life at all, although I make sure I charge it nightly.

I can't recommend it enough, for skiing, running and biking.

Si
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thedukester1001, Does it keep all the timestamp data when you save the days data, One of the problems with the Dacota 20 is that it bin's the timestamps for some reason on the saved tracks which means you dont get to look at all the run analysis, Especially annoying if you are using it with the Snowranger software and maps
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi. Yes, it retains all the individual data points, so no problem in re-living the day's skiing after the event.

I upload my data to Garmin Connect which allows the route to be overlaid on Google Earth images. It also includes some basic stats etc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The amount of data the 305 collects is huge. However, unless she intends to make use of the HRM you may as well get the 205.

For me it's a brilliant motivator and helps keep me on pace.

I use mine with SportTracks - when I got mine the Garmin software was dreadful.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agreed, wouldn't be without my 205 (Same as 305 without the HRM) for running and fine for skiing too.
Which mara is she doing Richie_S ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hyweljenkins, thanks, I'll look at the 205. She actually already has a polar HRM, which she chooses not use, because the chest strap is too uncomfortable for her on longer runs.

Jerry, London Marathon - first time. She's well on with her training, but its becoming quite tedious using map my run to work out distances!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In fairness to the 305 (which I have), and again the 405, both have a far better GPS receiver than the 205. While running, if you go through trees for example, the 205 is much more likely to lose the signal than the 305, and I believe the 405 is better still. Fantastic devices though, and I concur with the Sports Track shout. BTW the 405 looks like a normal watch and has a much better battery life, meaning you could just about wear it 'as a watch'.

Only other comment is when you go to a different country make sure you switch it on good and early, it takes up to 20 mins to find the satelites when you have moved 100's of miles from home.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fifespud, Sure you're not thinking of the 201 ? I run with a club and our 205s & 305s are identical apart from the HRM (And the colour).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richie_S, Nice one, it's a good day out. Hope to see her there in 11 weeks (gulp!) Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richie_S, you can download marathon training programmes, that you load on to the device, from the Runners' World site. You choose the workout for your target time and go from there. They're 16-week programmes, though she should be some way in to it already.

Fifespud, the 205, 305 and 405 have the same GPS receiver - SiRFstarIII.

Jerry, the 205 doesn't support either the HRM or the cadence sensor, but, as you say, apart from the colour (and a couple of options in the menu) there's nothing between them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hyweljenkins, yes, she saw that on the RW website, so that kind of added another plus to it. She is well into her training - and I think she is using a RW one - it's all mapped out on the calender and she's currently out on a 2 hour/15 mile training run!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Be aware that, when the memory is full, the 305 will apparently start overwriting data automatically. I've not had this happen, but I most commonly have a laptop around so I download data when I charge it.

Although the 405 has a potentially longer battery life, one reason I dodn't go for it is that apparently you can't turn it off (unlike the 305), so you can end up using up the battery unnecessarily. The controls on the 405 are (or maybe were, as it may have been fixed) also unreliable in the wet, which was another drawback for me.

The only thing I dislike about the 305 is the calorie count algorithm, which seems almost entirely to be based on speed, rather than heart-rate, and gives very different readings for different activities (and none at all if you're indoors, like in a gym)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, looks like the 205 is going to be the choice. Cheapest I've found it for is £105...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
viv, from page 31 of the user manual:
Quote:
When the memory is full, the Forerunner begins overwriting old data

However, when set to "Smart Recording" it'll store 35 hours' worth of data, so there's enough room for a week's skiing.
snow conditions
Jerry wrote:
Fifespud, Sure you're not thinking of the 201 ? I run with a club and our 205s & 305s are identical apart from the HRM (And the colour).

Jerry - I suspect you are correct. Sorry for the misinformation.
snow report
The 405 (and the newer 310XT) are supposed to have better acquisition and holding capabilites than the 205/305 models.

I have both the 305 and the 310. I`ve found (to my annoyance) that the 305 edges the 310.
ski holidays
For anyone interested in the 310XT (2 main advantages: battery life 20 hrs & fully waterproof) see http://www.tri247.com/article_6047.html

Calory count on all Garmins is rubbish.

Personally I`d go for the 205 (without HRM) or 305 (with HRM). Can pick them up for a snip (try Amazon or Google) and pair it with Sportstracks.

The large display is v easy to read. Doesn`t have that daft bezel which is used by the 405.

A 305 should store 7 days - but depends how much you do. As another poster suggested - best advised to download (upload ?) every day or so.

Richie S - good luck to your missus. That first marathon is very special. Brilliant occasion. Hope she`s getting her long runs in. Tell her not to start too fast. Absolutely vital. No matter how good she feels, control the speed for the first 13-14 miles. Little Angel
ski holidays
jonty, thanks Jonty... always good to hear of someone who has bought a couple of versions and still has no problem with the earlier models.

So decision done... a 205 is on its way to me (er, my wife!) £110 with postage. So, my wife will be trying it on a 15 miler on Saturday.... and I'll be trying it out in Les Arcs in two weeks time! Very Happy
snow conditions
Richie_S,
hope you both enjoy it - found my 305 really helped my running, main benefit being the 'pace' display - 205 is similar in this respect.
will look out for her - no danger of running too fast, at least until mile 6 (Cutty Sark), so many people I had to walk round that bit.

When you're skiing, make sure it's set to 'smart recording' - even then, if you're using it for 7-8 hours a day, it will unlikely hold a week's data. (tried a similar exercise on a cross channel sailing trip, and think it bailed out at about 12 hours, and started over-writing existing data.

where it _really_ comes into it's own is the 'max speed' competition - although i find that the max speed can occassionally be _very_ generous....
ski holidays
Quote:

it'll store 35 hours' worth of data, so there's enough room for a week's skiing

Not the amount I'd aim to ski in a week, it wouldn't. And, as hamilton suggests, it may not be 35 hours. I believe smart recording varies the number of data points based on changes of direction an/or speed. So, I reckon that it may take very different amounts of storage when following the fall-line compared to traversing back and forth across the piste
latest report
Well, I received the 205 yesterday... awesome service from the online co I ordered it from, as only ordered sunday evening and only paid standard postage.

hamilton, she is currently trying to resetting her placing in the starting line up to avoid crowds (or at least reduce) - she was originally aiming for 4 hours... but training is going well so she's trying to push up to a faster start position.
snow conditions
Richie_S,
if it's anything like 2008, the start is mayhem; unless you know someone who can get you into the 'celebrity' start area, the 2 start areas are about 50 people wide and a thousand deep - it's possible to sidle up through the line (or simply queue jump) to get nearer the front of your allotted start time, but there are still plenty of people who lie about their pace to get a good position - but it's still a slow first few miles.

loads of tips on the runners world forums.

as for the 205, get hold of 'sport tracks' as mentioned elsewhere (much better than the Garmin included app), and have a play with 'map my run' for creating custom routes... latter can be a bit flaky and may require someone with technical patience to get the right file formats (you'll soon learn your .gpx from your .crs!)
enjoy,
h
snow report
Thanks all.... downloaded sport tracks and currently tinkering around....!
ski holidays
Richie_S, this site may be of interest to you http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61640&highlight=
ski holidays
Ritchie - are we talking London here?

My top tips would be all gels with caffeine (although women dont as a rule like gels - too reminiscent of something unpleasant - apparently), and take them all by about 18 miles - no good thereafter. Copious amounts of Nurofen or equivalent, take them as required but after the gels run out for sure. Gave you a wee lift. Take fluid at every opportunity, whether you think you need it or not. And try and force herself to run reverse splits - if she thinks she can do 3hr 50 mins say, do the first half in 1hr 57mins. There is nothing like the feeling of having something in the tank, if/when you are in uncharted water your brain can really screw you up.
latest report
bobinch, ooh, thanks for that.... I'd seen the link to everytrail before.... but didn't realise it link timestamped photos to the gps track - very neat! That'll be perfect to try out after my trip next week. And even better for recording a '15 peaks' challenge I'm doing in the summer.

Fifespud, yes, London - thanks for that advice... She is currently experimenting with Gels to see which works best for her and as according to all good books on the subject, 'never try anthing new on the day'.... I'd not come across advice on Nurofen before, but then I'm not reading up on Marathon training...
ski holidays
Drinking water when you don't need it is a dumb idea. You're far better off carrying the bottle until you do need it if you think you won't make it to the next stop otherwise. If you plan to use gels you need to use them during training, rather than hoping they're suitable on the day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hyweljenkins,
Quote:

If you plan to use gels you need to use them during training

Yes, that's exactly what she is doing... she's got various sorts to see which ones she prefers and work best for her.

I tried a drink supplement for the first time on a 24 hr hike in the hills for the first time - I wouldn't do it again. I was sick of the stuff by the end and couldn't even force the stuff down. In future, I'll stick to water and jelly babies or kendal mint cake like the good old days!
snow conditions
So, first weekend of tinkering with the 205. Very pleased so far.

Like that you can adjust the screen display to show the stats you want. My wife used it for a training run today and proved it was 'idiot' proof.

bobinch, have also tried that site. Super easy to use. Mapped my photos to the gps trail no problem. Now looking forward to getting some great tracks and photos when I head to les arcs next week!
ski holidays
So after a week in Les Arcs using the Garmin 205.... just wanted to report back that I am very pleased with it !

Speed, distance, elevation - all the things i needed to know on the day... and when I returned home I've enjoyed plotting the tracks (and photos) on everytrail.com as recommended by bobinch.

Example, here :

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=517154&code=69dfa80ce1f3bc245fb2e5f8598adb8b
snow report
hyweljenkins wrote:
Drinking water when you don't need it is a dumb idea. You're far better off carrying the bottle until you do need it if you think you won't make it to the next stop otherwise. If you plan to use gels you need to use them during training, rather than hoping they're suitable on the day.

The problem is - the body doesn`t know when it `needs` water. Thirst is not a reliable indicator (indeed, it is widely recognised that if you only drink when thirsty, it`s too late). Fluid intake should be constant (i.e. at regular intervals) throughout a marathon (and a number of coaches advocate `water loading` in the days leading up to, and on the morning of, a marathon). It`s actually very difficult to drink too much. Hyponotraemia is rare - especially amongst sub 4 hr marathoners.

Agree on gels. Personally, I can`t stomach the Lucozade ones - too sweet, too thick and very hard to digest at speed. For me the SIS Go gels work well. You don`t need water to get them down and they are not as strongly flavoured as some. Caffeine gels can be quite intense. In a typical marathon, I`d use 4 normal gels and 1 caffeine gel. But as you say, the key is to try the things out on your long training runs.
latest report
Just used mine on some days when I was in Megeve. Here's my last day using smart recording mode, openable in google earth format using a forum members tool. Generaly bought it for running/training but have found it great for looking back at where I skied (puts a different perspective in birds eye view and without snow): http://www.chuffnuts.com/PisteMaps/KMZ/12-Mar-10_Megeve.kmz
snow report
thedukester1001 wrote:
I upload my data to Garmin Connect which ...
The Register is reporting a security concern with Garmin Connect, see Garmin Connect exposes cycle trip details to world. The Register's article links to the original report.
snow conditions
Hmm I've got a Garmin and use Connect. It does more or less allow others to pinpoint your home I guess. My rides are so random though it wouldn't be that useful.
latest report
Adrian, that problem occurs with other products, too, such as SportyPal. SportyPal makes it very easy to find out when people are not likely to be home.
latest report
What battery life are you getting? My 405 is only giving 6 hours with GPS on....
snow conditions
BobinCH, I get at least two days' skiing on my 305.
snow conditions
I use my Edge 205 for cycling so I've never used it for longer than a day, it's supposed to have a 12 hour battery life.
snow conditions
Bu9ger, mine consistently packs up after 6 hours Sad Has been a right pain on a couple of recent longer trips...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy