Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North Face kit - worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
I'd quite like a new ski jacket, my last one was a dare2b, and while it's been ok, I've never totally loved it.

I'd quite like an all black, or near enough, and like the look of North Face's stuff.

Went into local ski shop today (Captain's Cabin in Canterbury) and was slightly surprised at just HOW expensive it is.

Is it worth it? Any particular places online people would recommend?

Thanks,
Ed

PS Was even more taken by a Salomon jacket...but at £380 it just seems tooooo much....however, glad I'm never going to let myself in there on payday... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends what you're looking at, some TNF stuff is over priced tat and some of it is really good..

plenty of online stores worth a look, EB has a mid season ski wear sale, on at the mo, gear-zone, webtogs, cotswold outdoor etc etc
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ed Ludlow, If you like it, it's worth it.

I like TNF Summit Series gear, the ordinary stuff is OK, but aimed at streetwear really.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ed Ludlow, the summit series stuff is good and hard wearing (though the velcro on the cuffs of my jacket is losing its stick, which is annoying). However, do you actually want a jacket which will last you ten years, or are you likely to get bored and want a new one after two seasons? Because if so, there's little point in forking out the dosh.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TNF stuff is very good in my experience, never had an issue with it at all
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ed Ludlow, what type of jacket are you looking for and what size?

I have a brand new Eider Cycas jacket for sale if you're interested - (20k / 20k waterproof / breathability)

click me

It's not black, but a deep dark green.

Let me know if you're interested mate.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ed Ludlow, North Face Free thinker may be expensive but it is incredible and you will have it for a very long time

So Yes worth every penny
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you not have an outlet village by you? We have a North Face shop on the one by us (Cheshire Oaks, Wirral).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fr0sty, pm sent
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

North Face Free thinker may be expensive but it is incredible and you will have it for a very long time

Cant disagree with that. Love my Free Thinker. Toofy Grin Yes it was expensive but worth it IMHO.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought some Monte Cargo pants this season and have been extremely pleased with them, money well spent.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many thanks all....you're all making my decision easier Smile

fr0sty, I'm an XL. Looked at an eider today, they are nice....
However I really do have my mind set on a black jacket. Thanks tho!

I reckon it's time for some online shopping! Summit series and Free thinker seem popular, any other recommendations?

Thanks all for your help so far, much appreciated.

ianbradders, no outlet around here AFAIK, reckon online will be a good bet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ed Ludlow, no problem mate.

northantsred, I've replied to your pm.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fr0sty, just out of curiosity, what size is the Eider..?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Do be aware that there is allegedly as much counterfeit North Face gear around as Spyder. http://www.thenorthfaceguru.com/
snow report
Ed Ludlow, i'm tall and also take an XL. I have a North Face Plasma thermal jacket and have had it for the past 3 seasons. If you have long arms, check those first. Over time, i have realised that TNF jackets are shorter in the sleeve by up to 1" over other makes. I am now looking at Marmot jackets as they come with long sleeves.

If it's a black jacket you're after, check out this link i've come across.

http://www.rawoutdoors.co.uk/Models.aspx?ModelID=3007

i'll be going for one of the other Marmot Jackets, but that Palisades model looks ace and is black.
ski holidays
Ed Ludlow wrote:
Went into local ski shop today (Captain's Cabin in Canterbury)

ianbradders wrote:
Do you not have an outlet village by you? We have a North Face shop on the one by us (Cheshire Oaks, Wirral).

Bit of a trip but there's a North Face outlet store in Bicester village, so anytime you're heading up the M40 then it's a good stopping off point for some retail therapy - plus also tog24, timberland, fat face, helly h, mustgo etc.. plus some other shops that the ladies like...

Of course if you need some boots fitted then tie in a trip to snowheads favourite fitter with a trip to the outlet village for a really cheap day out....
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:
for a really cheap day out....

Methinks you are being a bit misleading.......

Just wait until the credit-card bill arrives. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
fr0sty, So you've still not sold it even at such a discount ? Shocked I would have been interested (no seriously) but I want black and not dark green (it clashes with my eyes Laughing
snow report
Sadly my red north face jacket doesn't want to wear out so I now look deeply unfashionable when out skiing when compared to a nice modern shell jacket. And it is still waterproof!
snow conditions
Ed Ludlow, The Eider Cycas is a size Large.

halfhand, It is quite a discount, but I've hardly been trying to sell it so there's no rush. Flea-bay is a possibility but it's such a pain in the proverbial.

As this thread proves, listing something in the buy/sell section and forgetting about it doesn't mean everyone gets to see it.
ski holidays
Haglofs

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 4-02-10 0:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
fr0sty, Laughing Hope you get a buyer Smile
ski holidays
halfhand, cheers mate.

A little off-topic, but I found an absolutely top notch 3-layer gore-tex pro shell womens Haglof shell jacket for £200 - brand new from a UK retailer.

I think sizes are limited, but it's an outstanding jacket for that price. Any female climber / skier wants the link let me know.

Haglofs kit is extremely good for climbing, but normally costs a packet!
latest report
As wot frOsty says......Haglofs is the dogs Toofy Grin worth evey €
snow report
What budget do you think is reasonable?

I had a TNF (all black) jacket - for, oh, about 5 years as an 'every day wear' during the winter months for the daily commute. It's been great, re-proofed it several times. Thou is now looking a bit tired. I have also worn it on the slopes for a couple of seasons, and it was fine - thou it does not have a snow skirt. It was around £120 - I don't see the point in spending too much more.. ( btw, I only ever see the need for a 'shell' - no padding or warmth, fleece mid layers for that)

I replaced it with a Helly Hansen jacket... again all in black - again very reasonably priced at about £120. (Snow skirt provided this time, and a couple of neat ipod and phone pockets etc)

Been very happy with this also.

Finally, I perspire 'healthily' - and to date have not felt the need to go to the expense of goretex... correct layering, and zip vents has generally been enough to help the lower cost breathable fabrics do their job well enough.
snow report
Sad Usually very good but not too happy with the Vortex gloves I just bought, lasted 4days before the palms and thumb seam started to show serious wear, when i get a moment i think they may be getting them back.
latest report
scootsman1 wrote:
As wot frOsty says......Haglofs is the dogs Toofy Grin worth evey €

Agreed - SWMBO loves her shell. Wasnt that costly as I recall either, as I bought it Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fr0sty wrote:
Ed Ludlow, what type of jacket are you looking for and what size?

I have a brand new Eider Cycas jacket for sale if you're interested - (20k / 20k waterproof / breathability)

click me

It's not black, but a deep dark green.

Let me know if you're interested mate.

Frosty is the jacket still for sale and if so can you please pm me the details/ any photos??. cheers.
ski holidays
The higher priced stuff is def overpriced for what it is. If you want to drop cash look at high end brands like patagonia, arcteryx, marmot, hountain hardware, cloudveil etc.

Lower priced stuff is OK.
snow report
narc, I suspect it's a moot point to the average recreational skier but there is a massive difference between your bog standard £150 mid range jacket & a £400 top of the range jacket. Whilst it's probably overpriced for you for many people, myself included, the additional functionality is worth the extra charge. Also as a broad general rule the higher end stuff is made better & lasts longer & in the instances where there are problems the guarantees tend to be so extensive it's virtually no questions asked return.

For instance take these 2 jackets here:
http://www.snowandrock.com/the-north-face-men%27s-decagon-jacket/ski-jackets/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/6870
http://www.snowandrock.com/the-north-face-men%27s-freethinker-ii-jacket/ski-jackets/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/6859

The first jacket is made in a standard non shaped cut. It's made from an inferior fabric. It has standard zips with with cuffs covering them. The pockets are all external. It has a normal bag shaped hood with only a single draw cord enclosure. It has pit zips (I know a lot of people like these but in my opinion they're don't actually provide any advantage, they're heavy, they don't work very well, & they're a pain in the hole to open & close). In order to get full articulation/movement it's cut from a lot more pieces of fabric.

The second jacket is made in a shaped, more tailored cut. It's made from a higher tech, lighter, more breathable fabric that stretches. The zips are water & wind proof & do a better job at keeping the elements out than standard zips without the added weight of additional cuffs which are inferior. The main zip up is off set at the top so as at doesn't rub on your chin. All of the pockets are internal which weigh less & it also means if you've anything temperature critical in them they're likely to stay warmer due to your body heat. The hood has a better shape & is designed with 2 different adjustments on it so you can wear a helmet under it & tighten it either with or without the helmet. The zips are heat welded in, instead of stitched & taped. Again it's a lighter & more effective solution. You can guarantee it weighs less than half of the first jacket. I could go on about features that are better on it but to be frank (and i am Frank Laughing ) i'm getting bored now.

The question is do these features cost nearly two & a half times as much to manufacture? Probably not but they sell a lot less of the more expensive jacket than the cheaper one. So the considerably greater development costs need to be born out over a smaller manufacturing run.

Are they worth nearly two & a half times as much? Well that's up to the end user. For me as an avid mountain user who does a whole host of mountain sports often times in difficult & potentially life dangering situations the additional functionality is worth it. I'm not saying i would buy the more expensive of these exact 2 jackets. However i've no problem buying high end outdoor gear as the trade off in comfort & usability is well worth it. They also have a tendency to last much longer. But i'm repeating myself now.

For the record i just picked slush & rubble as it was easy to find for comparative purposes. Even if they are probably the most expensive place to buy this stuff in the UK. I've also chosen 2 different TNF jackets it's easier to compare when they're from the same manufacturer/
ski holidays
Swell, I've sent you a pm with some details.
snow conditions
All black jackets might look a bit stealth, but you just end up cooking in them when the sun comes out
ski holidays
Thanks for all the advice - decided to stick two fingers at the credit card and go for it Toofy Grin

Narrowed the search down to the Astor and the Stavros, so tried on both. While the Astor looks vvv nice in all black, I found the Stavros slightly more comfortable and I think it's more wearable away from the slopes, so went for....

Dead chuffed Smile
snow report
Looks very good. Hope its not a case of all the gear and no idea Laughing
ski holidays
I'm using a bib, a Denali fleece and a sheel mountain jacket (mountain guide ?) from TNF for the last 14 years. Ski-ing at least four weeks every year. I am very happy with all of them.
Unfortunately the same would not go for all TNF stuff. Was disappointed with a Pamir softshell, some of their fleeces and other items. It seems the manufacturing quality is going slightly down for the last five to six years.
As one of the previous post mentions they still do some good stuff (For exemple their convertible pants -spring/summer- are tops. I had a motorbike crash with some of them on, they just suffered minimal damages). You need to look for it and enquire around your frineds/family or even people on lifts/slopes and test them for yourself !
I am shifting towards the Scandinavian manufacturers for my -winter- stuff now. Pricey (very) but definitely worth it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy