Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

-42 in Trentino ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Italy , over weekend most news items led with the big freeze in Italy, news mentioned -42 in Trentino, just wondering where you in Trentino last weekend and was it really that cold ?. If so did of the higher lifts have to close due to extremely low temps
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nop.

The worst was -8 for us when we skied around Arabba, Civetta, Cortina, Alta Badia and Knronplatz.

Austria was about two degree colder.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kendub, checking the news items, it seems that a new Italian record low temperature of -47C was recorded back during the pre-christmas cold snap, at 5:15am on 18th December 2009, but for some reason was only just reported a few days ago.

The location is Busa di Manna, a 2550m 'frost hollow' near the Pale di San Martino range and had held the previous record for the coldest place on the Italian peninsula.

There were also sub -35C overnight temps recorded more recently on the 15th 23rd & 27th Jan 2010 in the same spot.

http://www.laprovinciadicomo.it/stories/apcom/114718_maltempo_record_italiano_del_freddo_-47_gradi_in_trentino/

A frost hollow is a location that can experience a particular kind of overnight temperature inversion:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/understanding/frosthollows.shtml

It would seem that the daytime temps across open ski areas would have been significantly higher, maybe why Saikee didn't notice any extreme cold.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My car has an outside temperature probe and this has been verified regularly within 1 or 2 degree difference with those displayed temperatures from buildings and facilities.

I always checked the temperature when I started the day. The temperature at the top of the mountain can be colder but I have skied in Scandinavia to tell how cold the outside temperature was.

The wife and I have electric boot warmers which we would use if the temperature drops below -10. We also keep a heavy duty set of gloves in the rucksack to be used if our fingers become numb. I didn't experience temperature below -10 when I skied the two weeks in Ski Amade and Dolomites. I would say the colder temperature would be possible during the night but when skiing in the day time the temperature is warmer.

Think the coldest I came across was -26 degree C once at the top of Les Arcs without any wind. It was really uncomfortable.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Off to Trentino region at half term - have just dug out more fleeces to take! Serious (but perhaps naive) question, at what temperature do you get signs of frostbite and what are those signs? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Biddy Twiddle wrote:
Off to Trentino region at half term - have just dug out more fleeces to take! Serious (but perhaps naive) question, at what temperature do you get signs of frostbite and what are those signs? Puzzled

I've got frostnip at -28º plus a bit of wind chill. Happened on my nose; looks like pale/waxy patches of skin.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy