Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ellis Brigham Customer Service

Poster: A snowHead
Would just like to say how impressed we have been with Ellis Brigham recently. My wife bought a pair of boots at the Ski Show in 2008, she was fitted there by the tech (24.5 MP) and left very happy. After wearing the boots for a week last season she found the boots very uncomfortable but persevered, as you do, in the hope they would pack-in. We skied again at 1/2 term this year and the boots were so painful she had to hire a pair. The hire shop measured her foot at as size bigger (25.5 MP).

On our return we wrote to EB mainly just to bring the issue to their attention but did not really expect any recompense due to the time since purchase.

We had a personal email back fro Mark Brigham, who my wife also spoke to, who advised we go to a nearest branch (Bristol) for a replacement or refund. We went to Bristol and had the boots replaced with a refund for the difference in price.

I appreciate that there may have been some blame on the part of EB for the original fitting but feel that the resulting customer service was outstanding, especially as we had direct contact with the owner who was very keen to resolve the issue to our satisfaction.

This is my way of publicly saying thanks.

Very satisfied customer.

Bas
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well done. It is important to mention good service since only negative gives a false impression.

I find ellis Brigham in Glasgow to be a good shop, I simply dont buy anything there unless desperate (eg forget socks at xscape) because they are a good 30-50% more expensive than my preferred shop in Glasgow
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
its not very inspiring that they measured her foot incorrectly in the first place.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bough snowboard bindings from EB discount website.
They broke on my first morning on the mountain.
They refunded the money, no quibble..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
EB are just complying with the Sale of Goods Act and other consumer law. Its not great customer service. Most of their staff, certainly in the Bristol branch, see to be bullshitters and talk from the rear hole.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
another lesson learned, don't buy boots at the ski shows.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
replacing boots bought in 2008 and worn for 2 ski trips seems pretty good to me
it's almost in the realms of replacing a corked bottle of wine when the customer has drunk most of the bottle
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
good old snowheads, Basil, complements EB and people start slagging them off in reply!!

Well done EB!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I paid £200 for a pair of running shoes and they lasted me for approximately 76hours worth of wearing I would have something to say about it to the retailer. There used to be an arbitration panel on shoes that said if they were reasonable quality or not. Not sure if it still exists.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Even if this action is dictated by the Sale of Goods Act (and I suspect a half-decent lawyer could find a way to argue that the customer had accepted the boots as fit-for-purpose), it's still encouraging to hear of a big retailer carrying out legal obligations with the minimum of fuss. That one of the owners both emailed and spoke to the customer suggests to me that there's more to it than that.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rumdiary wrote:
If I paid £200 for a pair of running shoes and they lasted me for approximately 76hours worth of wearing I would have something to say about it to the retailer. There used to be an arbitration panel on shoes that said if they were reasonable quality or not. Not sure if it still exists.

that is not the situation here. if you bought a pair of running shoes with no manufacturing defects which felt comfortable in the shop, then wore them for 76 hours before taking them back because they are not comfortable, most shops would assume you were having a laugh
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
rumdiary wrote:

that is not the situation here. if you bought a pair of running shoes with no manufacturing defects which felt comfortable in the shop, then wore them for 76 hours before taking them back because they are not comfortable, most shops would assume you were having a laugh

If I relied on the advice of a tech who gave me the wrong advice and then sold me the wrong size as a consequence and after the first time I had the opportunity to wear them I discovered the wrong advice I would expect a refund. And indeed I believe there would be legal recourse based on the incorrect tech advice eben if the boots were discounted or at a sale price. Any consumer lawyers on the forum may correct me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rumdiary wrote:
If I relied on the advice of a tech who gave me the wrong advice and then sold me the wrong size as a consequence and after the first time I had the opportunity to wear them I discovered the wrong advice I would expect a refund.

maybe but that isn't what happened here - reread the OP
who is to say that the hire shop isn't measuring too big? oh yeah, hire shops never give out boots that are too big so that their customers think they have a comfortable pair of boots when in fact they have a pair of wellies rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
rumdiary wrote:
If I relied on the advice of a tech who gave me the wrong advice and then sold me the wrong size as a consequence and after the first time I had the opportunity to wear them I discovered the wrong advice I would expect a refund.

maybe but that isn't what happened here - reread the OP
who is to say that the hire shop isn't measuring too big? oh yeah, hire shops never give out boots that are too big so that their customers think they have a comfortable pair of boots when in fact they have a pair of wellies rolling eyes

The original post says the EB boot fitting was wrong. What have I missed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the fact that she was satisfied with them in the shop?
the fact that she could get them on with any level of comfort makes me doubt that they are much too small length-wise. most bootfitters say they will make the fit right if you suffer discomfort and only offer replacements if the fit is so bad this is impossible. this seems entirely reasonable to me. EB have gone beyond this by offering a brand new set of boots without any attempts to make the original ones fit better
snow report
We did not expect any compensation initially considering the length of time we had had the boots and were not sure of the Sale of Good/ Fit for Purpose argument in this case. The thing is with ski boots, normally only wearing them for 1 week a year may not be considered enough use to establish their fitness for purpose, either way EB have met their customer service mission by either complying with retail law or their own code.

We initially wrote to EB Customer Services, and the reply was directly from Mr Brigham whose primary concern was to resolve our issue. Regardless of the initial error, the swift resolution of our complaint has provided me with some confidence in EB and I will continue to use them in the future because of this.
snow conditions
I wouldn't have expected it from most retailers, and I'm pretty impressed. After 2 weeks of use, I would expect a retailer to try and make some mods to the boots FOC, but really it's a bit late to get a full refund (I can't imagine they're getting their money back from the supplier sending back an old pair of boots, if lucky they might be able to chuck them out as ex-demo and make back £100)

Sounds better than most retailers I deal with in day to day life, so thumbs up from me. The Sale of Goods Act you'll really really struggle to convince a court they weren't fit for purpose - your average court would tell you it's way too late for them to come back. They're not in saleable condition, and they fitted at the time as stated in the OP - EB can't tell what the customer may or may not have done to them since then, and neither would the court.

On the other hand, this week they sent out a single boot strap which should obviously come in a pair. Called them yesterday to tell them the problem, still waiting for a call back...
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
the fact that she was satisfied with them in the shop?
the fact that she could get them on with any level of comfort makes me doubt that they are much too small length-wise. most bootfitters say they will make the fit right if you suffer discomfort and only offer replacements if the fit is so bad this is impossible. this seems entirely reasonable to me. EB have gone beyond this by offering a brand new set of boots without any attempts to make the original ones fit better

I was satisfied with my last kettle in the shop. It turned out to be not as described so I took it back 28 days later and got a full refund. In this case the purchaser did not have a reasonable opportunity to try the goods for a substantial time. Because they were purchased at some fair.

EB could have been more difficult, they have done the decent thing, so limited credit to them for that, but thay have not done anything they could not have been compelled to do as far as I can work out. Nil points for having an incompetent fitter, tech at the fair.
ski holidays
as an after thought, if I had relied on the advice of the tech and suffered a personal injury as a result of boots that don't fit I would be calling ambulance chasers for you and instructing them to sue the as s holes out of Ellis Bingbong. I recon suffering a bunyon has to be worth £500 in compensation. The cost of a very good set of properly fitting boots.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy