Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski carriage with monarch

Poster: A snowHead
im planning on trying to blag on 4 pairs of ski's without paying, never paid in the past but never flew with moanrch. any 1 had any experience?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and before any 1 pipes up i have used the search function, not a lot on there
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Guess it might depend whether you're flying scheduled or charter? I've only used them charter, and usually had to pay. Feel free to try blagging it, but there's a chance you'll end up worse off (through having to pay a higher charge for not pre-booking).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You will almost certainly have to pay for them.

Or you may not get them on the flight - prebooked skis will always take precedence over ones which you just turn up with, if they are short of hold space.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Paid for two lots of ski carriage with Monarch over Christmas. Checked in two double ski-bags, each containing two pairs of skis - so four pairs in total. Check-in person didn't care, just saw the two bags, tagged them and sent us to oversize luggage.

Succesfully getting 4 pairs through without paying anything I think is unlikely.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you've booked through a TO, they can cut a deal on free ski carriage - we got it for free on our December trip, but got charged in January.

Definitely worth chucking two sets in each bag, they will probably weigh the bags but didn't seem to care about ours even at close to 20kg in the big bag, two pairs of skis and a load of other stuff in there.

You won't blag it for free at the check-in desk. We had to pre-book, and they advised us they had a limit on the number of ski/board bags they would take - if that allocation is gone, you may not even be able to get them on the plane and pay for them. Not worth having to leave stuff behind for the sake of £30.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i suppose but in the past ive always just turned up and they just tag em and send em to over size baggage. never paid in 6 trips. i mean i dont mind paying but why pay if you dont have to.

and as for not getting them on the plane at all, if i get there early, surely theyre not gonna say you better wait untill weve checked all the pre booked skis in.

i think itll be worth going and just paying more if i have 2. i actually have 3 bags/4 sets of skis. might try to jam together to make 2...

who knows, if it works ill report back, with a baggage allowance of 20kg inc ski boots ski's should be alowed on free. i dunno i guess its the person you get on the check in desk.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm flying with Monarch from Gatwick in a week. I'm concerned about the Ski carriage. I usually add some of my tech gear into my board bag (so I have more space in my suitacase). The guy at Inghams said they are stricts on what you can have in the board bag and ski bag (was going to wrap my gfs skis up in her thermals). Any body had the bags searched before? I'm worried about adding stuff into the bag when they strictly say only the snowboard and only the ski's! Can't even check in boots so having to add that to my hand luggage!! I'm not filling them right up, or going over the allowance, just want to add some gear in there, or possibly my boot's... want to know if I will get the bag's searched?

If anybody can advise I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidcurtis2, we've flown with Monarch quite a few times & never had (or seen) any bag searches. I've also checked in boot-bags as part of the equipment allowance, but these days I prefer my boots to travel with me as hand luggage if possible (& no problems with Monarch there either). As long as you're under the weight allowance (or close to it - the TO charters seem quite easy-going about this, IME) I don't think anyone will care about the actual contents of your bags...

Oh, & welcome to Snowheads! snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bookham_mat wrote:
im planning on trying to blag on 4 pairs of ski's without paying, never paid in the past but never flew with moanrch. any 1 had any experience?

Definitely try. Let us know the result.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm thinking about putting my daughter in my ski bag along with our skis, she's quite small and will help protect our skis. Has anyone else tried this, do you think it will be a problem?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidcurtis2 wrote:
I'm flying with Monarch from Gatwick in a week. I'm concerned about the Ski carriage. I usually add some of my tech gear into my board bag (so I have more space in my suitacase). The guy at Inghams said they are stricts on what you can have in the board bag and ski bag (was going to wrap my gfs skis up in her thermals). Any body had the bags searched before? I'm worried about adding stuff into the bag when they strictly say only the snowboard and only the ski's! Can't even check in boots so having to add that to my hand luggage!! I'm not filling them right up, or going over the allowance, just want to add some gear in there, or possibly my boot's... want to know if I will get the bag's searched?

If anybody can advise I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

You'll be fine. Unlike the OP, who is taking the piiss.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jo225 wrote:
davidcurtis2, we've flown with Monarch quite a few times & never had (or seen) any bag searches. I've also checked in boot-bags as part of the equipment allowance, but these days I prefer my boots to travel with me as hand luggage if possible (& no problems with Monarch there either). As long as you're under the weight allowance (or close to it - the TO charters seem quite easy-going about this, IME) I don't think anyone will care about the actual contents of your bags...

Thanks for the welcome and the reply Jo. I think you're right, I would just be seriously annoyed if they did do a search! I've never had this happen before, but sometimes you can't be sure, some airlines suck. Boots in hand luggae is a good idea really, just trying to find a bag that fit's my size 12 boots in and doesnt have a larger capacity than what's allowed on the flight! Fun!

Anybody know what the weather is like in Zell am See at the moment? The amount of snow on the lower slopes doesn't sound too promising!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidcurtis2 wrote:
Jo225 wrote:

Thanks for the welcome and the reply Jo. I think you're right, I would just be seriously annoyed if they did do a search! I've never had this happen before, but sometimes you can't be sure, some airlines suck. Boots in hand luggae is a good idea really, just trying to find a bag that fit's my size 12 boots in and doesnt have a larger capacity than what's allowed on the flight! Fun!

Anybody know what the weather is like in Zell am See at the moment? The amount of snow on the lower slopes doesn't sound too promising!

Your boot bag is part of the ski allowance with Monarch. Personally I have my boots in hand luggage on the way out to make sure they get to resort with me guaranteed, and check them in on the way home because a lot of the european airports don't like them when you get to security. And it means I get more legroom on the plane Smile We've never had anybody look in the bag from the airline, and to be honest nobody will unless the bag weighs more than the 20kg maximum it should be.

On the bag front, worth having a look for a backpack that you can get the boots in this way Pd instead of the usual side by side things. That said, Monarch don't seem to care much about the size and/or weight of handluggage, unlike the low fare airlines, probably because passengers don't take the wee wee.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The guy at Inghams said they are stricts on what you can have in the board bag and ski bag (was going to wrap my gfs skis up in her thermals). Any body had the bags searched before? I'm worried about adding stuff into the bag when they strictly say only the snowboard and only the ski's!

I had my ski bag searched once - the weight limit for ski bags was 5kg (yes, really!) and mine was /considerably/ over that. My skis weigh 12.5kg on their own. Once they saw I really did only have one pair of skis, one pair of poles and minimal clothes for padding (it was obvious that it was all there for padding - ie. wrapped round tips, bindings etc.) they waved them through. Had I had two pairs or all my clothes in there, I imagine they'd have been less happy.

That was with Thomson Fly BTW.
ski holidays
I looked at this thread title and for some reason a picture of the Queen with Charles' skis on her shoulders came to mind.
snow conditions
We just flew with Monarch from Manchester, they didn't weigh the ski bag that contained 2 pairs of short skis and 2 pairs of boots, but we were told by our tour operator that different TO have different contracts with Monarch, ie our ski boots if we carried them in boot bags would form part of our hold luggage allowance, so 20 kg minus the weight of the boots, with others TO the boots were part of the ski bag allowance. They did check our tickets to see if Ski carriage had been paid for.

When I asked the T.O. what the max weight for a ski bag was, they didn't have a set weight, just "average weight for one pair of skis & poles" I think the weight is limited by health and safety regs for the baggage handlers. At Salzburg airport once again, no weighing of the ski bags, but tickets were checked to see if the ski carriage was paid for. The queues to check them in were so long I think there would have been a riot if they started checking contents!

In past we've taken 4 pairs of skis in one bag and still not had it weighed or inspected. When you see some of the sizes of padded and hard plastic ski bags, they must know there is more than one pair in them!

Last year our friends bought skis and boots on holiday, and didn't pay for ski carriage home, so very odd. The TO told us that even if you pay for ski carriage, it's not a guarantee they will be carried, it's still up to the discretion of the airline if the total weight of the aircraft's hold luggage is reaching it's maximum. So with that in mind - checking in early is the best way to go, paid for or not wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy