Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP! Transfer La Grave to Grenoble 27 Feb 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I'll be in La Grave for the week 20 - 27 Feb and I can't find a transfer to get me back to Grenoble on 27 Feb to catch the 11h05 TGV to Paris. At the moment, I'm looking at an expensive solo taxi ride unless I can find some others to share ... or an other idea. Any offers or suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
can you not get a taxi to the dam then a bus to Grenoble?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a coach service from Grenoble railway station to Serre Chevalier via La Grave, or at least there was last year. Unless things have changed it only runs twice a day both ways.

I have a feeling the morning service leaves La Grave around 9.00 a.m. but I could be wrong. Even if I am correct the road can be very busy. It is also single carriageway down the valley from La Grave for quite a way with traffic also joining from Les Deux Alpes and Alpe d'Huez and it only needs one breakdown or accident to cause a problem, particularly in high season.

If the bus is on time you might make your train, but if it is feasible for you, I would consider taking the early bus and booking a later train to be certain of catching it.

If you search the web for Satobus you should be able to find the details. It is advisable to book online as last year all seats were taken on the bus I was on.

Good luck.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
duncan, checkt he bus timetable, it is meant to correspond with the PAris TGV timetable so you should get there in time. http://www.vfd.fr/bienvenue-sur-le-nouveau-site-vfd/horaires-timetables/ler35-saison-hiver-2009-2010
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Helen, I had seen the vfd route - I'm using it to get out to La Grave. On the return trip, according to the timetable, there's only 10 minutes between the bus arriving at the station and the TGV leaving. My experiences of UK country bus services had prejudiced me into thinking this would not be enough leeway and I'd miss the train. Do you have any experience of this route? Is it as reliable as, say, Swiss trains?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
duncan, I haven't used it, but the service is supposed to link up with the Paris TGV, sounds a bit tight though. It is not really a UK country bus service though, more of an inter-resort coach service. I can find out a bit more for you if you like. Can you ring them and ask them?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
duncan,

My previous post was based on me having been to La Grave for the last four years and therefore having used the route we are talking about each time. I am off there again this Saturday.

On the return two years ago we came to a complete stop just after the turnoff to L2A because of an accident. We probably lost only about twenty minutes although it seemed like more at the time. If there had been a second incident we would have had a serious problem.

According to the timetable posted by Helen Beaumont, there now appear to be more services in high season. I would still recommend going as early as possible. Although the coach is scheduled to connect with the TGV, I can hardly imagine them delaying the TGV if the coach is late.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 3-02-10 11:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just another thought. As Helen says it is a coach transfer service. All your main luggage and skis if you have them will be stored in the main baggage holds. Everybody else on the coach will almost certainly be carrying ski luggage as well.

By the time the driver unloads everything that ten minute gap could be gone already. If the coach is just a few minutes late then maybe they will hold the train but I would not count on it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen, richjp, Many thanks for your helpful comments. I'm stuck with the 11h05 TGV and, if I factor in the luggage unloading time that I confess I'd not thought about previously, then the vfd bus scheduled arrival time of 10h55 just doesn't work. I'm certain the TGV won't wait. It's unfortunate they don't run the earlier bus on Saturday, but I will give them a call to check the times (if my French will handle it!) . I guess I'll have to try the option of a taxi to the dam and then getting one of the transfer buses from L2A.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy