Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good compact camera to take on the slopes?

Poster: A snowHead
norris wrote:
horizon, well now you have me thinking! I shall test it tonight when i get home Confused

cheers it's a key point for a future purchasing decision......
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have never noticed it to be a problem anyway - but will test it out!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would have thought that a compact hasnt got the frame speed to capture a skier correctly a decent DSLR will do circa 5 frames per second
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good enough for my purposes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71958789@N00/sets/72157615071528764/show/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marksovereign, A DSLR would be theoretically better, but I found that whenever I took a big camera with me, then it stayed in my pack all day, and I ended up with no pics. A compact on the other hand just slips into a pocket and is quickly and easily available.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RobW wrote:
marksovereign, A DSLR would be theoretically better, but I found that whenever I took a big camera with me, then it stayed in my pack all day, and I ended up with no pics. A compact on the other hand just slips into a pocket and is quickly and easily available.

Rob I agree totally - i have a DSLR and its great for Landscapes and action shots - its just too big. Ive just bought an LX3 and im off on Sunday to St Anton so I can review on my return.
Its not a great Feeling when youve got a grands worth of DSLR on your back down an icy black!!! or on the floorin your pack in an apres ski bar! - i think the lx3 is the way to go.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had my DSLR in my pack when I tomahawked 50-60 yards through some rocks down this slope (far end of the slope facing left - you can see the traverse we took later). But I was worried primarily about myself at that point (and earlier, when I downclimbed the cornice).

Detail of the guy who led us there, downclimbing to bring my skis and retrieve his own which had slid down about the same distance as me.

Yes, I know, it was a stupid chain of decisions. Details to follow in the St Anton TR.

Btw, these pics are taken with a friend's badly set up TZ6 (+1 exposure compensation, high compression). I had lost my TZ7 by then.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
horizon, Shocked Shocked Glad you're alive to tell the tale. Sod the camera.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
norris wrote:
Good enough for my purposes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71958789@N00/sets/72157615071528764/show/

Norris not quite what I meant - i meant stopping the skier in full flow in 10 or 20 frames close up.
I
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I also have a TZ5. I love it and it takes great stills and HD video. I do not know if they have addressed the problem of slow to focus video on the newer models but it is a well known problem with the TZ5. Also the sound recording in video mode is very poor producing very tinny audio. I do not know if this is the case with all compacts but definitely it is a problem with TZ5.
What makes the TZ range so great is the high zoom rate and the excelent quality lens. Also you can pick up very cheap spare batteries (-£5) on ebay that work great.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
palumbex, is the TZ5 movie HD? I didn't think it was.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
norris wrote:
palumbex, is the TZ5 movie HD? I didn't think it was.

Yes norris. It has 16:9 HD at 30 fps or 15 fps.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My powershot G10 is for the times when the EOS 5D MKII is too big, ski slopes, racing yachts crowded South East Asian street markets etc, and has never let me down yet, no the pics aren't as sharp as the 5D with L series glass on it but that is a pro set up, it easily matches image quality and performance with slightly less flexibility of a mid range dSLR though. Plus there are add on lenses to both increase the max telep0hoto range and widen the wide angle lens so no problem setting the level of zoom you are after.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hugh_b, If you want something robust then canons powershot d10 is very nice. I've also got the olympus equivalent(tough 6000) and although its capable of taking some nice shots the canon is head and shoulders above it.

If you shop around they can be picked up below 200quid.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm liking the look of the recently announced Nikon S8000...

World’s thinnest* 10x zoom camera with slim 27.3 mm body.
Quick response: fast start-up and autofocus.
NIKKOR wideangle 10x zoom lens with ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass offers outstanding precision, sharp resolution and crisp results (35mm equivalent: 30-300mm).
Crisp HD (720p) movie clips with stereo sound: captures all the action at an impressive 24 frames per second.
7.5 cm (3-inch) high resolution (921-k dot) LCD monitor: offers vivid color reproduction, sharp contrast, and clear viewing with minimal reflections, even in bright sunlight.

4x anti-blur automatically counters blurred images in four different ways. Lens-shift VR (Vibration Reduction) reduces the effect of camera shake. High ISO (up to 3200 at full size) light sensitivity reduces the risk of blurred images with fast-moving subjects or in low-light. Advanced Motion detection compensates for camera and subject movement. Best Shot Selector (BSS) automatically selects the sharpest of up to 10 sequential shots.
Advanced flash control system: synchronizes the flash with high ISO sensitivity for well-lit, naturally exposed results in low-light, and clear telephoto shots.
Creative Slider: instant retouch and review function. Lets you adjust the brightness, saturation and color tone of the image without the need for a computer.
Sports Continuous Mode: shoot up to 45 continuous shots at a speedy 3 frames per second.
snow conditions
The TZ7 is a good camera, but one issue is the video is recording using an AVC HD codec, which has some compatability problems with certain programs (eg. Apple Quicktime won't play it, Windows XP and Vista issues, etc) Else it's a fab camera.

It's predecessor the TZ6 is also very good, and with the release of the newer range, the older ones get a lot cheaper. The TZ6 is around £150 now.

The Ricoh CX2 is also a great camera, takes fab photos and videos, but is slightly outside your £100-200 budget.
snow conditions
Thanks for the help guy's, the new nikon sounds promising so i shall look into that! I'm holiding off for a little longer to see if the price of the current tz6 drops due to newer models coming out! Thanks for the heads up on the video compatibility problems, sounds like there wouldn't be much point in me having the video then as it wouldn't be compatible with my apple!
snow report
hugh_b, my only comment on the matter is whatever you decide to get, make sure you take PLENTY of back-up batteries. We have a cheap and cheerful Olympus which takes nice pics etc but it EATS batteries for breakfast in normal temperatures. In the cold, you can probably wave bye-bye to a pair of AAs every day. We bought rechargables and always have a pair on charge just for the camera.
latest report
I agree with andyph's sentiments about batteries but I found my two Canon cameras to have a good battery llfe. I got between 100 and 200 pictures per charge plus some reviewing. For my old Canon Ixus 500 I had three rechargeable batteries and they would last me for a two week holiday without recharging. I have two rechargeable batteries for my new Ixus 95 IS, each lasted three or four days on holiday.
ski holidays
I've had an LX2 for 3 years and think it's excellent & very pocketable. If I needed to replace it now I'd get an LX3.
snow report
Battery life on the TZ7 was excellent. I put in my spare battery on the 5th day though I didn't use it as much as I would have liked as the weather was so bad early in the week.

Media player 11 plays HD video with the hd codec pack. Easy to d/l from ms. I recorded in 720p HD and did not use the AVCHD. Windows 7 media centre plays HD and AVCHD without extra codecs. Only issue was with vista but hey I dont have vista so sod it. My only gripe was with the software supplied by panasonic. You would think they would have something to view all your files easily along with the editing suites on the CD!

I did really like the LX3 but opted for more zoom which was interesting...
ski holidays
guys,

How many of you take pics with an LCD screen looking thru goggles/sunglasses??
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
guys,

How many of you take pics with an LCD screen looking thru goggles/sunglasses??

I do (but I take them off before processing in photoshop).
snow report
Adrian wrote:
As I wrote here on Snowheads the Canon Ixus 95IS that cost me £129 seems a good camera, I am pleased with its pictures. I think it is similar to the Digital Ixus 90 IS that snowb4ndit mentioned above. And the Canon has a proper viewfinder so you can use it when the ambient light prevents use of the LCD screen.

Now available on Amazon for £119.99 with free delivery. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy