Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan Magfire 78 Ti (168cm) - Report following 1 weeks use, now with videos

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Elan Magfire 78 Ti
Tested model: 168 cm, r = 15.4 m
Sidecut: 123-78-105

(Basis of comparison - previous considerable experience with Elan Wave Magic (WM) in 160cm - 103 69 115 - 12m radius - skier is intermediate standard)

It was getting to the point where although my technique could be improved, I was noticing deficencies with the Wavemagics. They were unstable at speed, would patter and flex rather alarmingly on faster schusses, and had the tendency to get very chucked around on lumpy slush and pistebasher created cobble stones. So Santa gave me Magfires (thank you Santa). I've just spent my first week on these in Les Arcs. So is a ski just a ski? If you can ski one can you ski most within reason? The short and easy answer is 'No!'

The most obvious difference is weight - the Magfires are very heavy Shocked Just lifting and carrying them is a huge difference. Once on its not quite so noticable just to move around in them, but a chair with no foot-rest makes the legs sing for the first few occasions.

I had no problems with flexing and turning the WM's, they were easy enough to get on edge and I could bend them into most turns with ease. Looking at the Magfires the WM's were possibly making me lazy. The Magfires found every hole in my technique - these babies just wouldn't turn, unless I skidded them round or got them up on edge, both of which were far from easy. It has to be said the somewhat narrow piste outside the appt. was a challenge the first time I put them on, and by the bottom of it I was seriously considering a trip to the hire shop Skullie However, a Megamum isn't easily defeated and I realised I needed to get cross with them.

It took about 3 days before I actually started to ski them Shocked My technique went to pot whilst I found out how they needed to be skied, but from early times I started to see the advantages in persevering. All the things the WM's were going to pot with the Magfires had sussed. They were firm, stable, stuck to hard snow/sheer surfaces like glue, didn't 'patter' on a long schuss, took pistebasher cobbles in their stride and once I learned to get them on edge they carved rather wonderfully Very Happy The rest of the week was spent getting the ski posture and technique back again. Once I realised they would hold on to the sheer surfaces most things I tried seemed possible - I even got them down Aiguille Rouge (Red) from top to bottom Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

So are they are ski for a lady early intermediate? Well, you certainly need strength in your legs and some degree of weight I think - I don't think they would suit a lightly built shorter lady. You need good technique - if you don't have it they beat you. However, I think learning to ski them will have improved my skiing as a result. They seemed happiest carving, at least until I learn to flex them a bit more, and run nice big arcs in the snow. I could get nice little 'shimmys' out of them in the finish on the narrowest of tracks, but to do so meant learning how to get them from edge to edge properly. They also loved the fresh powder snow that we had, being better on that than the WM's as they floated better.

I strongly suspect that I will be able to get to grips with them (esp. after another week on the snow), but they aren't for the faint hearted. For a stong capable skier I should think they would be great. Lets hope I can become one. Toofy Grin

Whether this is of use to anyone I've no idea, but I thought I would post my findings.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 4-02-10 21:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, am I mistaken in thinking that you once posted that you didn't think width made much difference or something to that effect? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think it's width so much as the 2 layers of metal in them combined. I have skis very like these and they like to go fast!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great report Megamum! Probably the sort of ski I should try at some stage.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Technically a man's ski I think.

I say that based on the fact that Elan have a large range of specific women's skis and this is not one of them.

Both Skidog and eva-peva (my offspring) ski Elan and I must say I think their Waveflex technology is one of those rare-ish ski innovations that really seems to work. Excellent torsional stability with no detriment to longtitudinal flex. Both are excellent skiers (Skidog an instructor in Verbier) and both report that the skis really need to be ridden hard, you can't just fiddle around on them.

All power to you for stepping up to the plate and taking on a ski that really needs to be pushed to benefit.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rungsp,
Quote:

All power to you for stepping up to the plate and taking on a ski that really needs to be pushed to benefit.
I get the distinct feeling that Megamum didn't have much choice in the matter. wink Although my old skis - Head iXRC 800 - don't sound quite as butch as these, they were men's skis and I had to work them hard, as well as cripple my shoulder carrying them. They did repay the effort (particularly on hard piste) but it was very, very nice starting to ski in all sorts of terrain, on the lovely, light, responsive, easy Dynastars I've got now! Guess I'm lazy... Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I stopped skiing mine for a while as they are just so much work when you're tired, it's bad vis etc. I sold them to my boyfriend and bought the next skis down in the line Smile . I skied them again recently and really enjoyed them although it still took me most of a day to get used to them again and I'm a much better skier now than I was the last time I skied them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, wrote

Quote:

I get the distinct feeling that Megamum didn't have much choice in the matter.

Mmmm..........so do I wink Laughing

However, they are a challenge (I do challenges), and I think if I can learn to ski them it should mean that my skiing is improved - luckily for these skis (if not for other reasons), I am not the stereotypical 'ladies build' which is a help in this situation. Another thing I that I am sure was different as I recall commenting on it at the time is that they didn't half run fast - even on a flatish 'rat run' - I'm sure they literally went along faster than my WM's. I also found that I could lean on the edges on a flat piste and actually push out of a carve quicker than I had gone into it - which was quite a discovery - there was almost a 'spring' to the accelaration. What I think will help is another week on the snow in two weeks time, two such quick trips should assist this 'muscle memory' that everyone goes on about (assuming it exists).

slikedges, you are BMF_skier and I claim my £5 Laughing The times he reminded me of that statement Laughing . Mind you I am still not certain if there was one over-riding factor caused the problems - those 2 layers of titanium could have had a lot to do with it!!!
Another good thing generally is that on the whole I'm prepared to have a bash at most things (except the exceptionally steep and mogulled blacks/reds) without too much second thought, so I think the confidence is still on a roll which is great at the moment. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, I regularly see quite a few people trying to develop sound basic technique on skis too stiff/fat/wide radius. Their unwillingness to accept they're on the wrong skis just holds the whole process back. Even experienced skiers with pretty good balance, pressure control, rotation and edging skills, who are just trying to pick up proper carving making little or no progress because they are unwilling to accept having to descend to lowly (as they see it) piste skis to ease the transition. Not criticising your decision to persevere of course - I don't know you or your skiing - but just something to think about imho.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
slikedges, All that you say is correct of course. In fact I was quite happy on my WM's, though did find their 'flappiness' and propensity to 'chatter' and bounce on a fast Schuss disconcerting. I would happily have gone on using them. However, 'Santa' suggested that I try the Magfires. It has be said that I took some degree of persuading to have a bash with them esp. for the reasons that you mention. However, several things happened that made me decide to try with them. I tried some longer stiffer heavier 170 skis at an indoor dome to see if I could cope with something that was in a longer length - the answer was 'yes' I could, and I enjoyed the skiing on them. Then I had a lesson and a chat with rob@rar who also skis a set of the Magfire 78 Ti's and therefore knew the skis and how they perform and was also more familiar with how I skied. I wanted to know if he felt I stood a chance of succeeding with him, or whether I would ruin this years holiday. He seemed to feel that I stood a chance of being successful with them and was the basis of that chat that made me decide to tell Santa that I would Christian them rather than him being able to sell them on as virgin skis.

Looking back at things, although I had a tough few days, I think I made the right decision. They are far more stable underfoot than the WM's ever were and this is giving me confidence. I can also now even get them to carve even on narrow paths (which the WM's were never stable enough for me to do with confidence), and the best thing is that cling to the hard snow/icier conditions, like sticky socks cling to a cupboard. Let's hope I can still do it all when I am away in two weeks time. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, well then, be patient with your turns, careful to move forwards on starting a turn and attentive to outside ski dominance - and best of luck to you! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges, I appreciate the advice - thanks. In fact those are two nice easy bits of information to take with me and remember at the time - sometimes the simplest sounding advice is the easiest to remember and apply Very Happy

I have some time tonight, I'll see if I can sort out my video footage and find some of me skiing on them Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So I've finally managed to get everything IT talking to each other, and remember my YouTube logon details, so here, if anyone is interested, is me on the Magfires. The kids might be trailing me in some of these and you will clearly see that they are much better than me than me - I'm in red, so it should be straight forward to pick me out - I start from the top in the second one after the boarder is more is less out of the picture.

I can see from the footage that I am not carving cleanly yet - I'm still kicking up some snow behind me, but in these shots I had spent a lot of time working on my stance. I'm still a bit stiff and need to look up more, but these shots are not as bad as some taken over then first few days which I'm certainly not about to post Embarassed Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/IZTC11SB10k

http://youtube.com/v/Bku52k3PNXY
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy