Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long do your edges last?

Poster: A snowHead
Spent last week in ADH, and had a marvellous time.

I hired skis, and skied on one pair of edges the first two days. As they were noticably blunt, I swapped them over and used the other pair of edges for the second two days. By which time the second edges weren't as good as the first.

And so I took them into the shop (Ski Set in Villard Reculas) and asked the chappie to sharpen the edges. "No way," he said, "My skis have a limited life, and every time they are sharpened they get narrower. Anyway, they're still perfectly sharp," and he proceeded to show me "exactly" how sharp they were by scratching his fingernail on an edge, and proving that it shaved his nail. No wonder, it did, for it was a beautifully burred edge that he was running his finger over.

So, is this typical for hire shops? Am I right to be annoyed? Fortunately there was a good dump of powder for the last day so edges weren't so very important.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
James the Last, I can imagine him not wanting to sharpen them too often as their life would be dramatically shortened. If everything else was the same (ie snow condition) I'm surprised you noticed them degrading in a couple of days though. Assuming you were skiing on snow and not rocks or rails.

On the other hand, if you were unhappy with the skis, you should quite fairly have expected to exchange them for another pair.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James the Last wrote:
I hired skis, and skied on one pair of edges the first two days. As they were noticably blunt, I swapped them over and used the other pair of edges for the second two days. By which time the second edges weren't as good as the first.

You use all the edges whatever feet you have the ski on, Unless you ski 100% on downhill ski which in effect is only using 50% of your grip.

any hard to icy slope will dull the edges within a few runs.... then its not the edge but the ski which makes a difference and also the skier technique
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I try to get round to running a stone over the edges every day to debur them, and often an edge tool too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
James the Last, the standard test I use is if it will shave a finger nail it's fine....a burred edge won't do that.

Any video of you skiing a whole day on 1 pair of edge's Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, and since you do a fair bit of skiing, how quickly do you wear them out? I use an edging tool when I think the skis need a sharpen, but am wary of sharpening too much.
I never swap my skis over. This would ruin the graphic effect and is very unlucky.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JulesB,
Quote:

I never swap my skis over. This would ruin the graphic effect and is very unlucky.
You have just joined the select band of my favourite poofters! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JulesB, Laughing

For those who don't know, JulesB and I both have the version of the Misson graphics overlap between both skis. This season I am trying to treat mine as unhanded Very Happy

Still plenty of metal left on the edges, Jules, after about 10 weeks use.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JulesB wrote:
achilles, and since you do a fair bit of skiing, how quickly do you wear them out? I use an edging tool when I think the skis need a sharpen, but am wary of sharpening too much.

Im sure there is a more technical answer but

an edge is approx 2-3mm wide and of that you can probably sharpen 1mm and each sharpen shaves off .01-.02 mm

so about 50-100

calculation is probably off but the main thing is the rest of the ski and base will be beyond repair after that much time on the snow. If you are on soft powder you don't need edges so will only sharpen on hard and icy stuff.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, wow, I've never seen that kind of graphic before. Very Happy It would certainly unsettle me to have them on the wrong way round, but that's because I'm so anal/borderline OCD. I'm sure that neither you nor JulesB are like that!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, glad to hear it. I fear I might be a bit heavy handed when sharpening am hopefully getting some proper tuning tips next trip. As for unhanded skis, that seems just wrong. Maybe I have loads of style or am a bit OCD so don't mock the afflicted Hurtle
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, you got the OCD bit in before I did Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
daehwons, you have the answer to all our sharpening worries- only ever ski powder.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last, frankly I think edges are overrated! As I was skiing down the rock hard Garmisch Kandahar on a pair of Völkl Mantras* the other day I asked myself when was the last time I sharpened these things... Oh yeah, never. Maybe once every three years is a bit on the low side. On the other hand... They work! So who cares Toofy Grin

*Not really an ice piste ski!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sharpening can mostly be done with a diamond stone, not a file, thus hardly taking any metal off.....
snow conditions
not sure hire shops spend much time lovingly applying diamond stones to their rental stock - they probably just get shoved through a grinding machine every now and then which does take a fair bit of edge material off

that said, i am definitely in the Steilhang school
ski holidays
Quote:

Any video of you skiing a whole day on 1 pair of edge's

Laughing I guess you can do exactly that if you snowplough everywhere...

I just sharpened my edges after the equivalent of about 2 solid weeks skiing - there's been scarcely any icy or even hardpacked slopes round here. I hadn't waxed them in that time either; they seemed to go just fine. You can faff waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much about all that stuff. Or maybe I'm just an insensitive skier, not tuned in to the finer aspects of my planks.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Any video of you skiing a whole day on 1 pair of edge's

Laughing I guess you can do exactly that if you snowplough everywhere...

Ahhh, never though of that....

in which case the advice would be "get back to the green slopes"
ski holidays
If skiing in powder, you are instructed to distribute your weight evenly between both legs.

Therefore this is proof that there must generally be more weight on the inside downhil ski than there is on the outside uphill ski.

If I guess at a ratio of one third - to - two thirds, and then assume that wear goes as the square of the applied force, this suggests that inside edges will wear at four times the rate of outside edges?
ski holidays
Quote:

If skiing in powder, you are instructed to distribute your weight evenly between both legs

MORE evenly, still not 50:50 though.

Also, you really don't need to sharpen your edges that much, unless you're racing.
snow report
I had a ski lesson in powder yesterday and my instructor advised around 60:40.

But that's irrelevant anyway. Unless you just go round and round the mountain like going down a helter skelter (like the weak joke about Welsh sheep.....) then surely your uphill outside edge is likely to become your downhill inside edge before too long?
latest report
In Ron Le Master's book he states that a ski skied for 1 day on proper ice is no longer sharp enough! It varies, if a shop tries to keep their rental stock going for years then yes they would be concerned about a high frequency of edge sharpening. Edge condition and angles are a big factor in why I continue to take my own gear despite the ever increasing hassle of doing so. It also depends on the skis, cheaper skis often seem to have edges made of softer steel which dull quickly. If you skid your turns rather doing pure carved turns you will dull your edges much more quickly too.

Edge hold is also not just related to edge sharpness, the torsional rigidity of the ski is a big factor; 2 weeks ago I was skiing with some early intermediates all on brand new rental skis complaining about the hardpack, on my atomic slalom skis I hardly noticed it and they are due for an edge tune.
latest report
I guess you could take something like an edge trick tool with you to sweeten the edges on a hire ski, if you really felt that they were getting blunt.
latest report
Quote:

a ski skied for 1 day on proper ice is no longer sharp enough

no longer sharp enough to ski on proper ice - no doubt. But how many of us who are recreational skiers ever get more than a minute or two on "proper ice"? I certainly haven't, and so far this season I've not seen any at all. People talk glibly about "ice" when what they mean is a hard packed piste. When I do see ice, I go somewhere else - and if absolutely unavoidable try to just slide over it and not edge at all. Folk who ski iced racing runs are in a whole different category but the OP didn't suggest that was what he'd been doing. Surely ADH won't have had much in the way of "proper ice" last week?
ski holidays
James the Last, from my experience, I'd say daehwons has it about right. I do a lot of dry slope skiing, and so am always sharpening my dry-slope skis. Last summer I was sharpening them on average about 5 times a week (races most weekends, need to sharpen them between runs). I went through two pairs of skis in about 3 months each pair - i.e. about 60 sharpens each - but each ski had about half the edges left when I retired them, as it was actually the bases that went not the edges. My previous pair lasted nearly a year (only sharpening about twice a week outside of the racing season), and I'd been doing a bit less racing that year, so they probably had about 100 sharpens, and they were starting to get a bit on the thin side.

The simple solution to your initial problem - take your own file and edge guide and do it yourself. It's what I do Wink .
ski holidays
100 sharpens !!!!!! on a dry slope too.... how much of the original base was left after filling with ptex?

On ice (propper ice on an ice rink) when you sharpen skates the edge is so sharp you feel like you have sand paper on for a couple 100 meters till the edge wears off..... then they are good for a very short time after that.... diferent kettle of fish with short contact surface area but its amazing how essentially water can dull steel
snow report
daehwons, totally pointless trying to PTEX a base for a dryslope. It may last 10 turns if you're really lucky. Araldite works a bit better, but it's still not great. Since you're always on edge though, and trying to slip them is not normally your major problem ( Wink ), it doesn't really matter much, until you've burned off enough base near the edge that you're down to the core...and then it's time to be thinking about their replacements.
ski holidays
I set my edges once with a file and then keep a pocket tool with a diamond stone with me. If it's hard snow I use the tool before skiing each day. If it's a powder day I don't bother.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey, I've never "serviced" my edges myself, care to post a link to the tools you use?
ski holidays
ojilles, from the guru's site. It's well worth browsing around, a well.
latest report
Thanks achilles!
snow report
kitenski,
Quote:

the standard test I use is if it will shave a finger nail it's fine....a burred edge won't do that.

Er yes it will: do the fingernail test and then run a piece of tissue down it, if it doesn't snag it's sharp if it does then it's a burr.
latest report
But don't hire skis have thicker bases and edges so that they can be machined weekly through out the season, then sold off to some unsuspecting punter in April? Therefore they should be a lot more sharpening in them than ones own bespoke skis.
latest report
Wow, so nobody has the foggiest. Every view between "I sharpen them daily (or twice daily)" and "I seldom sharpen them" (and "I only ski powder so don't need edges...").

pam w wrote:
I had a ski lesson in powder yesterday and my instructor advised around 60:40.

Right, so I guess that not in powder, the ratio is more like 80:20. And I'm fairly certain that blunting will go as the square of the force, so your outside edges will suffer only 1/16th of the wear of the inside ones.

pam w wrote:
But that's irrelevant anyway. Unless you just go round and round the mountain like going down a helter skelter (like the weak joke about Welsh sheep.....) then surely your uphill outside edge is likely to become your downhill inside edge before too long?

No. Only if you swap the skis over from left to right. Otherwise your inside edges will wear, and your outside ones won't.

Somebody made a point about technique. I dare say mine isn't particularly good, that was only my fourth week. Maybe I notice edge degradation more than do better skiers as my technique isn't good enough to get blunt skis to dig into the piste. Certainly when it was minus 20ish first thing in the morning on the third day, changing skis from left to right made the difference between control and out of control.

Finally, skis are a high(ish) performance piece of kit. They are tuned, and set up to work correctly. There is surely NO doubt that the presence of burred edges doesn't comply with manufacturer's spec and they therefore should be removed. I shall indeed be buying an edge sharpener.
latest report
James the Last, Have a look at Spyderjons' site. I don't think you need an edge sharpener - rather just a diamond stone to refresh the edges each night.

My snow maintenance routine runs like this;

1) Service skis before trip - so fill holes, sharpen edges (if needed) and wax.

2) At the end of each day I run a diamond stone along the edges - to remove any burrs.

3) If I can be bothered, I'll put some Zardoz on as well.

This routine applies to piste skiing only. For offpiste I'd probably forget about the edges and for race training, I'd be sharpening and waxing daily etc as above.

At the end of a week, unless the snow is very hard, or I've been lucky and found lots of rocks, my edges will be as good as thet were at the start of the week.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 2-02-10 15:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

or I've been lucky and found lots of rocks

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

ski, you clearly have a different definition of "lucky" to mine.
ski holidays
Perhaps I don't mean an edge sharpener then... A "Burrbuster" looks like suitable kit? Or an "Edge Trick tool"?
snow conditions
James the Last, Edge trick would do the job.. or a diamond stone
snow conditions
Maybe I'm more sensitive than most, but I can easily notice the deterioration in performance that arises from 1-2 day's skiing on hard pistes and I find things unbearable after 4-5 days. When I used to hire skis, I never had trouble persuading the rental shop to provide me with a free midweek sharpening, and neither do my kids who to still hire skis.

My son (he was only 10 at the time) was once told by a Canadian ski instructor that a week was too long to go without sharpening his skis and that he had a right to expect the shop to provide a free midweek service. The same instructor used to inspect all the class's edges before each lesson and give stern warnings to parents who were negligent enough to send their kids into his lessons with blunt skis.

I guess it depends how you ski. If you skid every turn or are lucky enough to only ski fresh untracked powder, you don't need sharp edges. Everyone else should agree with the hire shop that a midweek sharpening is part of the deal; if they refuse, take your custom elsewhere.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy