Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lovely Lech

Poster: A snowHead
Just come back from another trip to Lech. It really is a pearl in the Alps. We arrived to hard packed pistes and then it snowed for 3 days and we had a great time skiing off the piste under the Schlosskopf chair. Nobody else went over there - I guess because the chair is so slow and it gets cold! Talk about recession - you should have seen Strolz on Saturday evening - people handing credit cards over like mad.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just returned from Lech too.Skiing the same place (appartment near the shlosskopf). Wonderful skiing! Strolz
is more a museum then a shop.Thank God left my credit card at home. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mil46, erica2004, I'm off again in March - you're right it really is the very best place, good on them for running a tight ship, OK prices are a little higher but it's worth it to keep the magic.

Where did you guys eat? any tips? snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004, Off to St Anton with boys at end of Feb and will ski Lech at least twice. Will probably head to Strolz to use my 3 year guarantee on their ski boots to get new buckles etc Smile
Can't wait
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27, We stayed in the Montana in Oberlech - wonderful food. For lunch try Salome in higher Oberlech, The Balmalp - top of the Zug lift - great pizzas! The bakers in Lech does good rolls/cakes.
boabski, have fun - I see the new Strolz boots have different buckles to mine.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27, Actually,we lived in Stuben for the first week,in the Mondshine hotel-wonderful place with a best H/B I have eat in Austrias 3 stars. next week in Lech,selfcatering.The best (but the most expensive) was Hospize Alm in St. Christoph.
Only two days back and I am already enviyng! Wish you good time!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks All, now let's all keep it quiet or all the hoardes will invade wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, glad you enjoyed the Montana. The food really is amazing. Pity I can't afford just now
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica2004, how was Mr Ortlieb?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
will be there in 2 weeks - third visit. It is a wonderfdul place - get soooo much pow and no one skis it ....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gortonator, where are you staying this year G? I seem to remember passing on a hotel recommendation
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
with the current conditions, surely you mean lovely Lecht??! Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was there 3 weeks ago. I did this little vid of skiing from Oberlech down to the bottom -

http://youtube.com/v/lxCp8g8t6rU

Hopefully it'll stir a memory, or wet the appetitte Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang, His White Ring record was broken this year - by about 30secs, I believe.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27, Ilgas - which is just on the right as you get out of the top of the cable car to Oberlech. Grab a toboggan and sled down after the meal always a good laugh. Rudi's Stamperl is in the village and very nice. My top one though is Haus Nummer 8, one of my favourite restaurants anywhere. I would book before you go as it is always popular. Enjoy.
ski holidays
red 27, Hotel Pension Kristall - hopefully ok and location looks good

www.lech-kristall.at
latest report
owen4220, Nice vid. Did you steal the musak from The Blizzard of Ahhhhs!?
snow conditions
Gsyfreerider, thanks - I tried to get into Haus 8 last year and failed - must book this time!

gortonator, That looks a decent find - you must report back on what it's like
snow conditions
The music is 'Run for Cover' by a famous bass player called Marcus Miller. It was written at about the same time as The Blizzard of Ahhhhs came out. 80's funky Madeye-Smiley
latest report
owen4220 wrote:
I was there 3 weeks ago. I did this little vid of skiing from Oberlech down to the bottom -

http://youtube.com/v/lxCp8g8t6rU

Hopefully it'll stir a memory, or wet the appetitte Madeye-Smiley

Nice vid, funky tune, Lech looks beautiful in the sunshine.

When I was there last March it didn't stop snowing, so I didn't see it in it's full glory, will have to return for a second look!!
latest report
owen4220, lovely! Sure does beat French concrete jungles, doesn't it?!
ski holidays
Makes me feel lucky. I went '09 and this year and have had 10 days sun from 12 so far Very Happy
snow conditions
The wife and I have just booked a week for mid March. Any advice on particularly good service from a ski rental outlet and favoured runs (blue/red) would be appreciated.
snow report
lordjohn, gulp... Lech is a cartel when it comes to ski hire - I paid a massive 234€ for 6 days ski hire in Stolz last year, so you might want to give that a wide berth...

Options are book online with sport 2000 which gets it down to 150€, hire in the UK using edge-to-edge or similar or maybe stop in one of the towns down the valley depending on how your travelling.

As for the runs... The better Reds seem to be over in the Zurs area, Oberlech is great for cruisy blues and you must try the Weiss Ring circuit. also don't forget your Arlberg pass covers St Anton so the trip there is a must at least one day as they have fantastic piste skiing.
ski holidays
Hmm, interesting red 27. Makes me think I should release my compact Rossignols from retirement (I hope easiski doesn't read this)! Anyway thanks for the warning.
snow report
owen4220 wrote:
Makes me feel lucky. I went '09 and this year and have had 10 days sun from 12 so far Very Happy

I'm kinda hoping for a couple of major storms from 18th-27th Feb, maybe a little sun inbetween raging dumps of pow Embarassed
ski holidays
Quote:

The wife and I have just booked a week for mid March. Any advice on particularly good service from a ski rental outlet and favoured runs (blue/red) would be appreciated.

Where are you staying?

There are two main hire shops about 50 yards apart in the middle of town - Strolz and Sportalp. Prices are the same. I only have experience of Strolz the last two years, but they are very friendly and efficient. Nothing is too much trouble. I don't know about skis but boots are 57 euros for 6 days.

I like to start off by taking the Petersboden lift up from Oberlech, the turning right off the top and skiing down under the Weibermahd lift (easy) to the 4 man chair at the bottom. The take the Weibermahd lift up and drop down to the Rotscharfen lift (sp??). From the top there at about 2200 you can ski blues all the way back to Lech 1400.

In Zurs take the Zursersee lift and then the Muggengrat. From here take the long red 'Zurser Tali'. Lovley run, stunning secenery.

Do the Weisse ring by all means, but leave it until day 3 or 4 if you're an average inermediate like me - the Madloch to Zug part is not the easiest.
snow report
We're staying at Hotel Omesberg in Lech. Actually the ski hire rates quoted on the Lech website seem lower than red 27 indicates; unless I'm missing something I see £139 for 6 days and your boot hire figure looks right. Great video by the way and thanks for the info.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lordjohn, maybe they saw me coming - my price was for 'top of the range'
ski holidays
I had a look at the Lech website again and their rates appear to be out of date as they are from 2008; also in the above I forgot to make the conversion to pounds Embarassed . Visiting the Strolz webpage they quote 139, 184 and 234 euros at present for their ski rental which comes out at around £160 for 6 days for the middle quality ski. Hopefully the pound will continue to strengthen against the euro. It's some time since I skied on my old Rossignols (La Plagne in 2002); I do doubt that I am a good enough skier to actually detect a difference from the new carving skis! Maybe a preholiday trial in Glenshee will convince me whether stepping back in time and saving a hundred or two is a good idea.
snow conditions
lordjohn, Get yourself into Greaves in Glasgow. They have got some right good deals on some skis - will be cheaper than renting possibly. Models might be 2/3 years old but if you give them a phone they will check their stock for you, once you give them the size needed. Brilliant afterservice too
latest report
lordjohn, from Strolz you will not need anything better than the 4* skis I promise you! These will still be top brand, first season of use skis. Even their 3* are good enough for most people.

The Omesburg, if you didn't know, is at the entrance to the village end (Zurs end). If you walk out of the hotel and go down a little way you'll be on the main road. You then just need to keep following it down. Cross the river by the bridge in front of the Arlberg Hotel and you'll see the Strolz shop. Boot hire is top floor (2) and you then go one floor down (1) for the skis and to pay. After skiing you can store everything overnight downstairs (-1) at the shop. There's even a lift!
snow conditions
boabski, yes I was very tempted to buy again considering the cost of hiring but I don't know how many years skiing I have left; one of my sons is into snowboarding so he is not that interested in inheriting any gear! owen4220, I've checked out their website a couple of times now and it looks an upmarket establishment so I wondered if the standard of their skis was similarly good and usefully confirms what SWMBO was thinking. Good news about the storage facility; we had this arrangement at Ischgl last year and found it very convenient as against lugging skis back to the hotel.
snow report
Yes, it's really handy. You can put your skis on about 30 yards from the shop and then pole over another 50 yards and you're at the Schlegelkopf chairs, or cross the bridge in front of Strolz and get on the Rufikopf.

You can go the whole week and barely walk in your ski boots Little Angel
ski holidays
Just got back yesterday evening Sad from Lech - what a great week! snowHead snowHead The pistes were great when we arrived but were a bit windblown in places - after some fresh snow, we had absolutely superb conditions. I loved the slopes at Zurs, but looking at Inghams prices for there I don't think somehow I'll be paying £5,000/week for the 2 of us wink . The red 10 down from Muggenrat was great as was the itinerary from the top of the Madloch-Joch all the way down to Lech.

Definitely try to hire or book skis before you go - people in our chalet hotel were paying £160/week but they were this year's skis.

We stayed with Ski Total in their Chalethotel Sonneck - couldn't fault them at all and at £600/week very good value I thought, especially bearing in mind free aperitifs before dinner and free wine throughout dinner (and after to finish the bottle wink ). Did have to use the ski bus but with either the 7 or 1 going to the chalet they were every 10 mins and a good service.

Did find the resort very expensive though, very similar to Courchevel prices, and probably half as much again or double 'normal' Austrian prices. Could easily spend 20 Euros each for lunch, with something like a Tiroler Grostl about the 13-15 Euros mark.

We also went over to St Anton one day where I came across THE rudest German ever - I shall have to post on THAT thread wink
snow report
cathy, glad you're evidently back in one piece (each) and had a lovely time. Did you try the Vodka-Pfeige? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Spent the day in Lech last Thursday, it was indeed lovely. But the prices....I wasn't feeling much love after paying €28 for a pair of mineralwassers and apfel strudels.

There doesn't appear to be a way round the Arlberg rental price cartel *in* the Arlberg, there have been threads about this before. You have to take it out of the Arlberg by renting on the way down if you're driving/car hiring or even from an Innsbruck shop if training or by double-ebaying (buy on ebay, ski for a week, resell on ebay).
ski holidays
red 27, if I'm not mistaken Sport2000 is some way out of the village?
snow conditions
JimiHendrix, missed your comment as I was just submitting...interesting.
ski holidays
Anybody recommend any TOs for Lech? Planning on going 27th Feb and just started looking. Normally use Inghams but their prices for Lech seem high. I like the look of Oberlech.

Any advice welcome
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy