Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wrist guards and ... impact shorts

Poster: A snowHead
my daughter (14) snowboards and I though it is about time I got her some protection for her wrists and knees (she already wears a helmet), especially since I heard wrist injuries are the most common for boarders.

Need to buy quite quick and probably don't have time to go round shops.

Any suggestions on what to buy and where to buy online appreciated snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 28-01-10 9:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never had a knee injury in 10 years riding beyond a small bruise. Have used wrist guards though - Flexmeter Protec or Dakine a safe bet but make sure she can fit them comfortably under her gloves (or get new gloves with the wrist guards built in)

The usual suspects like S&R or TSA carry them or go googling for a better bargain. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
www.bargainboards.co.uk ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not get her some gloves with the protection built in? Separate guards are a pain to use and so are less likely to get used. Level make some great ones (i have a pair) and Flexmeter are supposed to be very good too (no experience).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rogg, not impressed with the durability of Flexmeter's gloves.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've smashed my knee a few times, after the first time I bought knee pads. Bashed my head a couple of times, so bought a helmet. Never hurt my wrists, but I now use Level mitts with built in wrist guards, just in case.

I also wear padded shorts, which helped when I came out of a bar recently & slid to the bottom of an icy staircase Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You'll avoid wrist injuries by falling correctly i.e. not putting your arms out, and knee injuries are rare as a Welsh virgin for boarders.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for flexmeters, not got the gloves but can recommend the wrist guards.
I would recommend impact shorts over knee pads (unless she's going to be jibbing much in which case I'd get knee pads too)

Flexmeters here: http://snipurl.com/u7kjh
The rest here: http://snipurl.com/u7kkj
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a look at the RED ones, made by Burton. They have flexible plastic ribs in them instead of the big metal crowbar things. Way more comfortable, so easier to wear all day, and lower profile, so less issues with getting gloves over the top.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wear some 661 knee pads with the plastic cap taken out. More for comfort than protection when kneeling down.

I have some fleximeters and I havnt broken my wrist.

Tux
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks everyone, will measure her hands tonight for Flexmeter wrist guards and look into impact shorts - since she does suffer with her coccyx sometimes as a result of a ski-ing accident about 5 years ago.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought the flexmeters (wristguards only, not the gloves) they were fantastic. Pretty sure Small will fit your daughter also. I also got an Azzpad and that was excellent too. Bought from www.alpsgear.co.uk, only took a couple days delivery. My gloves were already too big for me so the wristguards fit underneath fine so you need to get a size larger than normal mitten or glove. I didn't bother with knee guards and didn't need them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has she asked for this protection or are you subconsciously wrapping her in cotton wool?

I have never worn impact pants or special gloves and, as Swirly says, learning to fall will be much better protection. If I ended up with this stuff as a birthday present I would go and exchange it for something I did want.

Spending the money on a morning of one to one lessons may be much better value for money, for both of you.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^Don't agree with that. Not breaking your wrist is better than assuming that every fall you have will be controlled and not risky. If you're riding hard, then sometimes you have no choice about how you fall.

And sitting out a season with a busted wrist sucks a lot more than wearing wrist guards.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you ride "hard" then at some point you'll get an injury and probably a more serious one than a broken wrist. If you're riding properly then your wrists shouldn't really be in a point to impact as they will be in line with your shoulders and board, how often do you fall onto the tip or tail?

If a broken wrist costs you a season you aren't riding "hard".
ski holidays
simonx, Mike Langran's site Ski-injury.com is always a good place to look.

He discusses all types on injury, including WRIST INJURIES IN SNOWBOARDING

And goes on to recommend the Flexmeter Smile
latest report
Hi all,

I just wanted to say that I'm not massively experienced but when I was learning I tended to fall on to my wrists a lot and in the end bought some RED guards. Even though these are not as stiff as some the extra support did mean that I came away from lessons without aching wrists so they worked well for me.

Another thing to note is that some of the bones in your wrists have little blood flow to them meaning any kind of break takes that much longer to heal. I've a colleague to broke his wrist and his wrist was in plaster for months. Having said that I fall a lot less now that I'm more experienced now but still wear my RED guards. I probably still don't fall properly today Toofy Grin

-tangers
snow conditions
Quote:

learning to fall will be much better protection.

Can you imagine the total flamefest if someone expressed taht attitude tp helmets? Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

learning to fall will be much better protection.

Can you imagine the total flamefest if someone expressed taht attitude tp helmets? Laughing Laughing

haha Lizzard you should do that just for the laugh... Laughing
latest report
Does any one make a clavicle protector?
snow report
Lizzard wrote:

Yes and they'd be twassocks too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy